This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What TV Shows Are You Watching?

Comments

• Just watched the first episode of Daredevil. Gonna have to restart my Netflix account. My Dad and me watch Agents of Shield and Gotham. He is gonna love this one.
  • Cremlian said:

Wow, The new Daredevil series is really good and surprisingly dark compared to other Marvel properties that Disney has released. (but obviously not surprising to the source material.)

Best fight choreography I've seen in a while. It's like watching The Raid. I kind of wish HBO would pick up a comic show now.
  • Cremlian said:

Wow, The new Daredevil series is really good and surprisingly dark compared to other Marvel properties that Disney has released. (but obviously not surprising to the source material.)

I had to pause in many times because the scenes were pretty powerful. Man, I would have wished for the Watchmen movie to not have happened and instead I would have prefer the Netflix treatment.
  • Cremlian said:

Daredevil only works in a dark and street level perspective of hopelessness and reality. The character only came into his own off of Frank Miller's writing in the 80's (he went on to turn Batman into the Dark Knight at DC).

I guess going through Netflix also allows much more freedom.

It is really pleasant for me as I find the other Marvel TV shows to be trash.

There are a few things that are a bit funky about the story but I like this iteration of the character and the universe so far.

The major litmus test for me is that non comic book people are watching and loving the series. My Mum who wasn't a fan of any of the Marvel comic book movies and shows really likes this particular show.

I was surprised at the actors they have grabbed for this show, much higher tier than I expected, also the fight scenes seem very well choreographed.

Not really a fan of the depiction of Wilson Fisk thus far but they are striving to build a slightly deeper character than "the unknown crime lord that wants to rebuild is neighbourhood" portrayal.
  • Started watching Daredevil. I hope I'm not the only one who finds it funny that Fulton Reed has become Foggy Nelson.
  • This is the season of too much TV, at least for a few weeks. I went from having 1-2 shows to watching Kimmy Schmidt, Mad Men, and SNL with my wife, House of Cards during workouts, and Jon Oliver, Game of Thrones, and Silicon Valley in my free time. When House of Cards finishes I'll probably move on to Daredevil.
  • The sun is out. TV down, everything else up!
  • Cremlian said:

But that's because it's part of the darker Marvel properties like Punisher, right?

Anyhoo, I had to watch the first two episodes for ATW9K this Thursday. I wanted to be all poo-poo on this show, but it exceeded my expectations.

Good fighting choreography, good characters, good performance, and all that. I am really digging it. I know they may do it once, but I hope they don't do all the silly BS with the viewpoint of Murdock, like how he sees things with his special blind person powers and sees shapes and stuff.

I like all the actors they chose for it so far. I'm a bit skep on Vincent D as The Kingpin, but he's always been a solid actor.

No one tell Jason I said this!
  • Since Frank Miller, Daredevil has been dark but before Frank Miller he was more of a thrill seeker/spider-man off shoot and less dark.
  • Cremlian said:

Since Frank Miller, Daredevil has been dark but before Frank Miller he was more of a thrill seeker/spider-man off shoot and less dark.

sK0pe said:

Daredevil only works in a dark and street level perspective of hopelessness and reality. The character only came into his own off of Frank Miller's writing in the 80's (he went on to turn Batman into the Dark Knight at DC).

• Apreche said:

The sun is out. TV down, everything else up!

The night time is the right time.

• Daredevil episode 1 is pretty good. I'm going to give this a lot of chances to grab me for the whole series.

• New Supergirl TV series trailer.
  • Trailer to 'Ms. Male Character'
  • Daredevil episode 1 is pretty good. I'm going to give this a lot of chances to grab me for the whole series.

I watched the whole season, it was pretty good. I felt it kind of dragged towards the end but otherwise I'd recommend it.

(For a point of comparison, I stopped watching SHIELD and Gotham after a few episodes.)
  • The season finale of SHIELD was pretty much a stand alone Marvel movie (it was a two parter shown back to back) in terms of quality and setup. I almost want to do a edit job on SHIELD to make the show a great 26 eps ( out of 2 seasons), instead of a uneven 52 eps show. It's definitely one of those shows that suffers for having 26 eps seasons while it would have done a lot better being a tight 13 eps season.
  • What did you think about how Cal was handled near the end. I thought he was going to be locked up for life. I kind of have mixed feelings about it. But overall I think it's good he got a 2nd chance in his life.
  • Cal was such a cool character, I think they handled him well in the end, the mindwipe and such hopefully solved his Crazy for a little while, though he could always have his mind restored and you know FUTURE PLOT
  • The Wire.

Good stuff.
  • Rochelle said:

The Wire.

Good stuff.

The best stuff.
  • First season of Flash ended up being one of the best Super hero shows on TV, sure it had some CW relationship drama added in to appeal to the audience but Flash consistently pulled off some great comic book action and plots unabashedly. Cheesy villains turned out to work decently and the major plot arch was compelling, dramatic and surprising. If you want to watch a comic book show that doesn't try to be anything else but be a consistently good comic book show this is it. The show treats the source material with a loving caring touch only changing bit and pieces to make the story flow better on TV. Looking forward to what they can do in season 2. (and this comes from someone who's not a big fan of DC stuff generally.)

Arrow Season 3 was a step backwards for the show, very inconsistent almost unbelievable moments. The show is starting to suffer from having too many characters in on the "Mission" as well as characters reaching to things in ways just to cause drama and not really behave realistically. The overall plot was taken from Batman and was "OK" but overall the season has been disappointing compared to the last two which I really liked. NOT EVERY CHARACTER NEEDS TO USE A BOW GUYS. John Diggle still is the best character in the show though it's starting to be weird that he is usually just walking around in a ski mask during missions while everyone else is playing super hero dress up.

SHIELD Season 2, had a lot in common with season one. It started really strong, lost it's way a bit in the middle and ended really strong. Still think the show would do better with a smaller season. So happy Agent Carter is coming back!

If you like Super hero stuff guess we'll be greeted to a bunch of stuff next season, SuperGirl, Teen Titans and Legends of Tomorrow. (looking forward to some more animated Ultimate Spider-man Season 3 action once that gets on Netflix and hoping Avengers cartoon is better in season 2)
  • Finished Twin Peaks. The final episode - directed by David Lynch - is a stark contrast to the mediocre back half of season 2. I'm glad the whole team is on board for the new episodes.

Queueing up Fire Walk With Me some time this week.
  • Cremlian said:

First season of Flash ended up being one of the best Super hero shows on TV, sure it had some CW relationship drama added in to appeal to the audience but Flash consistently pulled off some great comic book action and plots unabashedly. Cheesy villains turned out to work decently and the major plot arch was compelling, dramatic and surprising. If you want to watch a comic book show that doesn't try to be anything else but be a consistently good comic book show this is it. The show treats the source material with a loving caring touch only changing bit and pieces to make the story flow better on TV. Looking forward to what they can do in season 2. (and this comes from someone who's not a big fan of DC stuff generally.)

Arrow Season 3 was a step backwards for the show, very inconsistent almost unbelievable moments. The show is starting to suffer from having too many characters in on the "Mission" as well as characters reaching to things in ways just to cause drama and not really behave realistically. The overall plot was taken from Batman and was "OK" but overall the season has been disappointing compared to the last two which I really liked. NOT EVERY CHARACTER NEEDS TO USE A BOW GUYS. John Diggle still is the best character in the show though it's starting to be weird that he is usually just walking around in a ski mask during missions while everyone else is playing super hero dress up.

SHIELD Season 2, had a lot in common with season one. It started really strong, lost it's way a bit in the middle and ended really strong. Still think the show would do better with a smaller season. So happy Agent Carter is coming back!

If you like Super hero stuff guess we'll be greeted to a bunch of stuff next season, SuperGirl, Teen Titans and Legends of Tomorrow. (looking forward to some more animated Ultimate Spider-man Season 3 action once that gets on Netflix and hoping Avengers cartoon is better in season 2)

I need to watch the final episodes of Flash and Arrow, but I agree with your general statements. I thought season 3 of Arrow was a big step backwards and at this point, I no longer care about the flashback scenes and think they should just ditch them entirely. Regarding the flashbacks, I actually would have preferred that Oliver was stranded on the island for 5 years and had to survive instead of jaunting around the world on secret missions with no one recognizing him.

I only got a couple episodes into season two of Agents of Shield, and I was pretty meh on the show. At some point I'll finish watching the season because I heard it got better. I agree that Agents of Shield would be much stronger with a 13 episode season without any of the filler or monster-of-the-week stuff.

Agent Carter is great. Nuff said.

While it's not really fair to compare, I finished episode 7 of Daredevil on Netflix and it is by far the best superhero show. I love what Marvel is doing with Daredevil and I'm intrigued and excited by all the tidbits they're dropping about the Seven Capital Cities of Heaven.

• Yea I call Daredevil the best Super Hero show on TV not on TV:-p
  • pence said:

Queueing up Fire Walk With Me some time this week.

I'm so, so sorry.
  • I finally got around to watching GIRLS, since it's been recommended to me a lot.

Switched it off after barely making it through five episodes. It's self-indulgent, narcissistic garbage. It's basically two things - an ego-play for Lena Dunham to tell us all how fantastic she is, how everyone wants to fuck her, and how she's just like so totally amazing you guys, and a cliché-stuffed rip-off of sex in the city, slathered with "I'm 15, and I think this is super edgy."

What a waste of time.
  • Yeah my girlfriend likes that show and I can't stand it. I don't really understand why people like it.
  • Enjoyed the Fargo TV show a lot. I kept underestimating Lester and how sneaky he could be. Molly was the best because as soon as I'd start shouting at the screen about some clue they'd know about she'd suddenly start to talk about the very same clue. In some cases she'd spotted things I'd forgotten about even with my audience omniscience.
  • Churba said:

I finally got around to watching GIRLS, since it's been recommended to me a lot.

Switched it off after barely making it through five episodes. It's self-indulgent, narcissistic garbage. It's basically two things - an ego-play for Lena Dunham to tell us all how fantastic she is, how everyone wants to fuck her, and how she's just like so totally amazing you guys, and a cliché-stuffed rip-off of sex in the city, slathered with "I'm 15, and I think this is super edgy."

What a waste of time.

I've watched two seasons of that and totally didn't feel it was like that it was more of look at these totally dysfunctional people who only survive people they are leeching off parents and such while thinking they are something special but in the end not really.
  • Cremlian said:

Churba said:

I finally got around to watching GIRLS, since it's been recommended to me a lot.

What a waste of time.

I've watched two seasons of that and totally didn't feel it was like that it was more of look at these totally dysfunctional people who only survive people they are leeching off parents and such while thinking they are something special but in the end not really.
    I only watched the pilot and wrote it off at that point, the story was not compelling, nor was the writing, dialogue or characters. I had great difficulty relating to, being compelled by or finding interest with any of the characters.

Enjoyed the Fargo TV show a lot. I kept underestimating Lester and how sneaky he could be. Molly was the best because as soon as I'd start shouting at the screen about some clue they'd know about she'd suddenly start to talk about the very same clue. In some cases she'd spotted things I'd forgotten about even with my audience omniscience.

That show was a winner, I really didn't expect them to pull of the movie's vibe and truly recreate that universe.