This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What TV Shows Are You Watching?

Comments

• Saw the Supergirl pilot. Kind of meh. Uninspired monster of the week formula.
  • I watched the first two episodes of Sense 8. Interesting enough to keep watching. The show has a clear agenda to put off as many anti-gay and anti-trans people as possible, the authenticity is pretty high for incorporating so many different locations and cultures. I'm pretty sure someone like my Dad would be lost in it. I'll watch a bit more but can't binge due to exams and things.

So far I like the Chicago and London events but really like the Berlin and Mumbai connections too.

It does look like a slow burn show, if you don't like that then I don' think this TV show is for you.
  • Is the series central conceit something similar to what Ghost in the shell does? Piggy backing into someone else's mind with the possibility of taking over the host?
  • Is the series central conceit something similar to what Ghost in the shell does? Piggy backing into someone else's mind with the possibility of taking over the host?

I watched episode 3 where this type of connection was played up more. Neither of the 3 who were connected seemed to understand how to willingly do the act but it occurred due to a stress event. I guess two of them "piggy backed" the guy's mind but it was not clear whether he swapped into their consciousness for a while or he just took a back seat while the other two took control of his body or imbued him with their own skill.

It has been left wide open as that was the big moment of the episode to be further explored.

So far they seem to be able to project images of themselves to other "senseates" (essentially telepaths), trick targets into seeing or experiencing things that they aren't, take over the body of another. All kind of things you would expect from a telepath but the reveals and situations are done clumsily by the 8 characters as they are new to it while the viewer has only got to see one experienced telepath use his abilities.

I think the J Michael Strazynski is dumbing down some scenes when it is not required but making the story and plot too high level or metaphorical would scare away viewers (as is what happens with Watchowski films).
  • Mr. Robot. Better than I expected. If you want to watch a show about a drug addicted hacker taking on a world-wide conspiracy, check it out.

(Don't worry, the hacking on the show wasn't the typical Hollywood cringe worthy affair.)
  • I thought it was still pretty cringeworthy.
  • Pegu said:

I thought it was still pretty cringeworthy.

I don't think there's a way of making hacking look like anything more than sitting at a computer typing, the Watchowski's did this in The Matrix when they shot the scene of Trinity typing in a room by herself which then leads into the police trying to arrest her.

Their version of Sense 8 seems a little too easy or sensationalised.

On the topic of Sense 8, I quite enjoyed the pay off to the slow early rolling. It seems a lot of people weren't fond of the story or show.
    It does have a bit of an X-men vibe initially and as a result most mass media branded it as Heroes 2.0 however I felt as if there was a broader range of themes and interesting concepts about telepathy/being a Sensate were explored.
    I even ended up enjoying the story lines of the characters I wasn't too interested by initially.

I also started watching season 3 of Orange is the New Black. First season in which I enjoy the Piper storyline as the show writers have backed off of their focus being on her. Exploring the other characters is way more fun however I do recommend you refresh yourself on what happened in Season 2 as the show assumes prior knowledge.
  • Compared to CSI: Cyber, Mr. Robot did pretty well.
  • edited June 2015
    Watched some of OitNB season 3. I sort of hate Piper and Alex now and don't really care about either of them. All the other characters keep me in, particularly Caputo, Red, Susanne, and Poussay.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • edited June 2015

Watched some of OitNB season 3. I sort of hate Piper and Alex now and don't really care about either of them. All the other characters keep me in, particularly Caputo, Red, Susanne, and Poussay.

I marathoned through the entire season in two days. So much of it is incredible, more back story for Chang, Big Boo, Alex, Pennsatucky, Norma, and Caputo. But that baby subplot is so fucking infuriating to sit through and the season finale left me really disappointed. I have no idea how they can try and recover from what happens in that final episode with so many tangling plot threads.
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • On Swatrous' recommendation, I watched The Americans. Along with Person of Interest, it is my top live action tv atm. Also greatly enjoying the BBC's Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, although nothing can top the audiobook version for me. I would watch S3 of OitNB, except someone changed their Netflix password.. to torrent or wait?
  • Game of Thrones is dipping in quality, while Silicon Valley has rocketed past it. I was so on the fence about SV until the tail end of season 1. Every episode of season 2 has been better than the last.
  • This season of Game of Thrones was ok, but the last 3 episodes were a lot better. I completely agree with you on Silicon Valley. I was pretty meh about the first season until near the end, but I really enjoyed season 2.
  • Yeah the 5th season wasn't that great, the finale I thought was sorta underwhelming, but some of the set pieces in the last couple episodes were pretty decent. I always see that Silicon Valley show and think about watching it, but in all honesty I probably won't watch it.
  • edited June 2015
    I thought Season 5 was pretty great, not the same hype level as last season but it did end on a number of sombre notes. I'm likely to be bias because I haven't read the books and was invested in the show story and characters.
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • The fourth and fifth books are not very good, in comparison to the first three. That being said, the showrunners have done a great job adapting to this dip in quality, and have still managed to put out a good show. It's just not as good as earlier seasons.
  • Is anyone else watching the second season of HCF? I'm enjoying it.
  • I am. It's off to a good start so far.
  • Nukerjsr said:

But that baby subplot is so fucking infuriating to sit through and the season finale left me really disappointed. I have no idea how they can try and recover from what happens in that final episode with so many tangling plot threads.

It felt as if the baby sub-plot was rewritten or this is the only way that they can get the Dad back (unless he left the show too).
    I do like that the rest of the cast have just as important a role. Didn't even mind Piper being the "Godfather". Random Australian actress was weird but the character worked in the season's story.
  • I just watched S1E1 of Arrow. What a pile of shit. How can so many friends and internet people tell me this is a fun show worth watching? Does it get waaaaay better after the pilot or what?
  • If you can't deal with campy action and some questionable performances acting wise (Cough Laurel Lance). You are not going to enjoy Arrow, I really enjoyed the the first and second season. (the Second being strongest) but if you are not into a bit of melodrama you might get turned off, I enjoyed how the Arrow is pretty much a killer in the beginning and slowly morphs into a traditional hero over two seasons. I also enjoy that they show that he actually has to work out a lot to keep his skills up. It's not for everyone. The Flash is like 5x better a show (but still has a bit of the CW relationship stuff)
  • I just watched S1E1 of Arrow. What a pile of shit. How can so many friends and internet people tell me this is a fun show worth watching? Does it get waaaaay better after the pilot or what?

It does get better, but if your feelings about the first episode are that strong, then it doesn't get better enough.

• Just watch the Flash instead. It's good from the start.

I watched like a dozen episodes. It really doesn't, don't trust anyone who says otherwise.
  • Ikatono said:

I just watched S1E1 of Arrow. What a pile of shit. How can so many friends and internet people tell me this is a fun show worth watching? Does it get waaaaay better after the pilot or what?

I watched like a dozen episodes. It really doesn't, don't trust anyone who says otherwise.
    I couldn't make it through one episode.
    Kate tried several, but also gave up.
    Arrow is garbage.
  • It was summer break, I was so goddamn bored, and I was making fun of it to my sister constantly. It was still too much.
  • Meh, I enjoy Arrow still (third season was weak though but had some fun eps)
  • edited June 2015

Post edited by Cremlian on

I thought I was the only one, Internet high five!

• sK0pe said:

I just watched S1E1 of Arrow. What a pile of shit. How can so many friends and internet people tell me this is a fun show worth watching? Does it get waaaaay better after the pilot or what?

I thought I was the only one, Internet high five!

Also high-five, I dropped the same. Amell is a block of wood. Just watch The Flash if you want a good superhero show.

People told me "Oh, it gets really good in the second season, but you have to watch the first one to get everything!" Nope. Not going to waste valuable time on crap for a possibly good show and I hear it's waning in that third season. There's too much good stuff, that excuse doesn't fly anymore with one minor exception. If the entire series finishes and it is considering to be great, then maybe you can justify watching one bad season.