This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What TV Shows Are You Watching?

Comments

• Chef's Table of Netflix is really, really good.

I agree totally, my favourite episodes were based on the Italian and Swedish chefs.

Some of the stories seem to be similar to how my Dad got into the business after culinary college although he worked for a French master chef in New Delhi then he went to train in Tokyo (rather than Paris) and then worked a year in New York (Culinary Institute of America) straight after I was born before coming back to India and then Australia.

I think he gave up on owning his own place or becoming a head chef so that he could look after his kids (he would take us everywhere when we were toddlers and early school years then do dinner and morning prep shifts) so that Mum could work during the day and they wouldn't need a babysitter.

If people are coming to PAX Australia and are ok with spending quite a bit of money ($140 -195) for a dinner at Attica in Melbourne I would go.
  • I'd be okay with spending it, the question is if I have it spare. This whole "starting a business" thing really takes it out of you. And by "It" I mean "irritatingly large sums of money."
  • Just finished season 4 of The Wire. I didn't think it was going to be all that good with the storyline of the middle school kids. How wrong I was. Never doubting HBO shows like that again. (Well, maybe Girls. I have no interest.)
  • Girls is like the most self indulgent hipster drama bullshit.
  • Episode 2 of True Detective was pretty great the ending was something I truly was not expecting. I don't understand how there are very few shows with great writers, I am also left wondering how the director gets these big time actors to act really well.
    Rochelle said:

Just finished season 4 of The Wire. I didn't think it was going to be all that good with the storyline of the middle school kids. How wrong I was. Never doubting HBO shows like that again. (Well, maybe Girls. I have no interest.)

I loved that season the first, second and third times I watched The Wire.

• Chef's Table of Netflix is really, really good.

Blue Hill Farm is close to me too.
  • I liked that episode, but out if everyone I was least impressed by the Blue Hill Farm chef. All the other chefs I could sense their genius, but with him, while I enjoyed his passion, I could never really get behind "here's a carrot".
  • I could never really get behind "here's a carrot".

That was similar to my thought except replace carrot with radish.
    I totally understand and am in agreement with breeding for taste rather than volume but the idea and presentation seems a little silly.

• I found that chef delusional. The reason he can serve food so tasty is because only about 100 rich people per day eat it. It costs way more tend normal produce, and we kept seeing clips of people quite literally on their knees tending the plants by hand.

Food like that is very niche. If we want tasty food for the masses, genetically modified produce is the way to go.
  • Yeah GM is just the technological sound method of progressing / accelerating any specific trait of a food. Instead it has become a negative buzz word according to the media and politicians.

However I did agree with treating the produce better, especially when it comes to livestock but most people have come to this conclusion.
  • Treating livestock better isn't progressive for any restaurant. Nobody advertises "Factory beef used here!"
  • Ascension is really cool. Retrofuturism with a bit of mystery.
  • I should be clear. It's not retrofuturism like the Jetsons. The show came out in 2014. It's set in a world where a 100 year space mission was begun in 1963. So a lot of the 60s tech didn't evolve like it did for us.
  • The ending of the series wasn't very satisfying.
  • Pegu said:

The ending of the series wasn't very satisfying.

There's an ending?
    It was such a cliffhanger, it really looked like whoever made it wanted a full length series but received a mini-series.

Still, it was interesting to watch, way better than what I expected however I predicted most of the things that happened, except the ending.
  • I got back into Mr Robot after some initial skepticism and I'm liking it. The one thing I don't get is the name Evil Corp. At first I thought it was just Elliott's nickname for the place but then everyone says it? Is it just his perception causing that? Also, I really liked the scene of them watching Hackers in episode 4.
  • He mentioned in the first or second episode that he's been calling it Evil Corp for so long that that's all he hears when someone says it, so that's what we hear.
  • edited July 2015
    Ok, I watched the first episode when it came out and forgot that part, but figured it was some such thing.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • So, Another Period... anyone? Anyone?

I dig it. Chair.
  • So I've started re-watching Person of Interest with a friend who has finally decided to try it out. And holy lack of god, some of the initial episodes are painfully bad. I'm surprised I managed to get over them the first time through. If anyone does decide to make a go of watching the show, I have a skippable list of the first season. For those who may have already dipped a toe in, I promise it gets significantly better.
  • Finished Star Trek: Enterprise, which had a extremely strong 3rd and 4th season. It's a shame it got cancelled as it actually found its footing and had a rushed and confusing last eps. Now onto Voyager, which is going to be a slog (at least the first few have been so far!).... So close to seeing everything Trek.
  • So I've started re-watching Person of Interest with a friend who has finally decided to try it out. And holy lack of god, some of the initial episodes are painfully bad. I'm surprised I managed to get over them the first time through. If anyone does decide to make a go of watching the show, I have a skippable list of the first season. For those who may have already dipped a toe in, I promise it gets significantly better.

I think I skipped the right ones, because what I've seen is pretty good so far. ^_^
  • I would take a list of good POI episodes to start the engine going. I'm gonna chug Bojack here soon and then take it on.
  • Yeah, Person of Interest is quite a slow-moving show and the "standalone" episodes can sometimes be pretty bad, but their treatment of the topic of superintelligent AI is surprisingly good, with some solid plot arcs.

The payoff / time tradeoff is much better here than it is for GaoGaiGar ^_~
  • Cremlian said:

Finished Star Trek: Enterprise, which had a extremely strong 3rd and 4th season. It's a shame it got cancelled as it actually found its footing and had a rushed and confusing last eps. Now onto Voyager, which is going to be a slog (at least the first few have been so far!).... So close to seeing everything Trek.

I watched Enterprise and found it difficult for many of thee episodes, it wasn't the worst but it was alienating enough for me to have put it off and obviously get cancelled.

I was able to watch Voyager fine, the main issues of the show get resolved after the first or second season and then the rest of the problem is suspending your Star Trek universe knowledge to allow for the ship to get from where it starts in the first season to the final episode.
  • edited July 2015
    sK0pe said:

Cremlian said:

Finished Star Trek: Enterprise, which had a extremely strong 3rd and 4th season. It's a shame it got cancelled as it actually found its footing and had a rushed and confusing last eps. Now onto Voyager, which is going to be a slog (at least the first few have been so far!).... So close to seeing everything Trek.

I watched Enterprise and found it difficult for many of thee episodes, it wasn't the worst but it was alienating enough for me to have put it off and obviously get cancelled.

I was able to watch Voyager fine, the main issues of the show get resolved after the first or second season and then the rest of the problem is suspending your Star Trek universe knowledge to allow for the ship to get from where it starts in the first season to the final episode.
    I'm having a lot of trouble getting into Voyager, it feels like a big step back from Deep Space Nine. Characters are not that interesting, plots so far are pretty run of the mill star trek. I mean half the crew is supposed to be rebels but they barely act like they are not star fleet officers. Talk about a waste of characters. The most interesting characters are the cook and the doctor... Everyone else kinda sucks.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Cremlian said:

sK0pe said:

Cremlian said:

I'm having a lot of trouble getting into Voyager, it feels like a big step back from Deep Space Nine. Characters are not that interesting, plots so far are pretty run of the mill star trek. I mean half the crew is supposed to be rebels but they barely act like they are not star fleet officers. Talk about a waste of characters. The most interesting characters are the cook and the doctor... Everyone else kinda sucks.
    Actually thinking back the first maybe 2 seasons from character perspective were weak however when character development eventually kicks in, it becomes compelling.

I agree DS9 is better.
  • Cremlian said:

IIRC, their excuse was "Most of the Maquis are ex-starfleet", but yeah, it is kind of a hole. It comes into play more later, but it's rarely touched on.

It gets better over time, like Skope says. Seems to be a common theme with Star Trek, barring Deep Space Nine, where the actors being awkward with each other and still settling in to their roles could be attributed to a new crew being awkward with each other, and still settling into their roles and places in the station as much as acting.
  • Finished Bojack Horseman Season 2.

Slightly better than the first. Better characterization and humor over all. However, this series really fails because it constantly over-explains the themes and gags of every single episode. The show believes that by following the cliches of particular television tropes, it is somehow making this clever, meta-commentary about the circular nature of Hollywood entertainment. And rarely does the drama work, because while it can be very realistic at times, it is painfully melodramatic at others as each character is waxing on about the same problems of loneliness, happiness, and finding your place.

Seriously, how do people not know that Hollywood has already told stories about these kinds of people? There are thousands of stories of why people become actors or artists, be it to fulfill an emotional need or fight some inner demon. Bojack Horseman is not smart by simply acknowledging how hackneyed it is. If I want to watch a show about true depression, Louie is so much better. If I want an better animated cartoon about awkward situations, I can check out Archer, Bob's Burgers, or The Venture Bros.