This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What TV Shows Are You Watching?

Comments

• edited July 2015
    Nukerjsr said:

If I want an better animated cartoon about awkward situations, I can check out Archer, Bob's Burgers, or The Venture Bros.

Bojack fills the role of "I've already watched those goddammit".
    Post edited by Ikatono on
  • Having watched neither, is Bojack Horseman just Horse Entourage?
  • Having watched neither, is Bojack Horseman just Horse Entourage?

It attempts to be more introspective than Entourage. The show reminds me a hell of a lot of The New Looney Tunes Show, which also attempted to do this weird, Judd Apatow style of awkward comedy by winking at the audience saying that the writers knew they were following vapid/overused sitcom cliches just with talking animals.

Whenever it intentionally tells jokes or speaks about "the corrupt nature of Hollywood", it addresses the situation in the most basic, spoonfeeding manner possible.
  • Rick & Morty begins its second season tonight! I can't wait!
  • The first two episodes of this season leaked a while ago if you really can't wait.
  • I was initially very skeptical of Mr. Robot because it's a USA show, despite all the positive buzz it's been getting. Having finally watched the first couple episodes, it's really really good.
  • Yeah, I was skeptical at first too, and I'm really enjoying it.
  • Watching Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi, as I never saw it. It strikes me as the same type of zany send-up as Space Dandy, only it's more multi-genre as opposed to spoofing one in particular.
    It's pretty funny, but there seems to be an excess of boob jokes.
  • Black Mirror
    Wow great one and done sci-fi / disturbing stories. It's great.

However I have no idea why the US is making it's own version of the show. Is it really all that hard to understand a British perspective of the world. Oh yeah I forgot everyone outside of North America is a Muslim jihadist :wink:
  • Likewise with English TV adverts that are dubbed over with American accents. They're abominations.
  • I really hope that the american version is just the same basic premise in an anthology series rather than actually remaking the episodes we already have.
  • sK0pe said:

Black Mirror
    Wow great one and done sci-fi / disturbing stories. It's great.

However I have no idea why the US is making it's own version of the show. Is it really all that hard to understand a British perspective of the world. Oh yeah I forgot everyone outside of North America is a Muslim jihadist :wink:

Also some people in North America *cough* Obama *cough*
  • I really hope that the american version is just the same basic premise in an anthology series rather than actually remaking the episodes we already have.

There's no hope
  • I've been really feeling the need to get more Jazz-hiphop into my musical diet, so I'm gonna watch Samurai Champloo again.
  • We Bare Bears is pretty entertaining. It has this dry modern day humor that really makes it stand out with enough spontaneous moments to stay funny. Demetri Martin as the Polar Bear is the best.
  • Daikun said:
    I'm definitely going to watch Black Jesus, it sounds great.
  • I thought the same. Here it is.
  • Seven Days in Hell
    Freaking amazing tennis documentary, everything and more you could want from the most perfect sport.
  • Conceptually Seven Days in Hell was rad, and the beginning was top notch but it really seemed to run out of gas near the end.
  • I just watched it. It was pretty funny throughout. I was a little let down near the end, but some of the clips in the credits were worth it.
  • I gave Bojack Horseman another try, it had to get to about 8 or so episodes in to be more than the regular "woo thoughtful funny adult cartoon show". My favourite episode is 11.

I still don't agree that it is deserving of the almost 100% rating that critics are giving it.
    Still very enjoyable, 1 or 2 episodes at a time.
  • Bojack js definitely a good show in my book, and has plenty to like. I loved watching it, and now that in caught up, its absense makes me sad.

I liked the arc of the first season more, I felt it covered more ground. But the tradeoff is the second season is somewhat more focused and builds pretty well, giving more room for the plots.
  • edited August 2015
    I discovered Humans tonight and binge-watched the hell out of it. Cool show.
    And holy fuck that scene with George and Odie in episode 7 was one of the saddest things I've seen in a while
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • The tech scenes are all sorts of awful but the show is still pretty cool.
  • edited August 2015
    Started Deutschland 83, which I had to go to Amazon and pay for, because that was the easiest way to get it.

Liking it so far, I love that its set in Germany and filmed by Germans and they speak German. The settings are good at differentiating East and West shots so far, in general between the props and sets and references and such, I look forward to seeing how far they go with the East vs West Germany thing, it hits pretty hard but blunt 2 episodes in, and I'd like to see the nooks and crannies. As someone with very little deep knowledge of what was going on in those countries, only the top-level history book version, that's what will be interesting to see for me, and then look into it in more detail after.

Since its not a big prime-time American show, it seems no-one is likely to know any of the actors but so far it has a good cast, other than the handler lady seeming too overtly 'schemerey' and not seeming to elicit any genuine ability at subtlety or likability which is unfortunate. Actually a few people do seem familiar, but that could be pure happenstance or just playing to styles and archetypes?

The curious thing about these 'recent-history-period-piece' shows is that many people who are still actively following the shows were there and it can be fascinating to read their perspectives on the shows since it corrects and clarifies the drama. For me I like using the shows to get into that period and as a sprintboard for learning. I don't want just some historical window dressing I want to find out what it would have been like and felt like and as much as possible get a sense of the time. When shows use historical context but play fast and loose with accuracy I feel that history is maybe being cheated a little. I like when the details are meticulous and researched and accurate and well-articulated in proper context. I love when there's a movie or show so accurate that experts can watch it and go 'yeah that's about right, they really did that' and that almost never happens.

Anyway from that, I'm curious what I'll get to experience in 20-30 years when I can say "I remember actually being in such-and-such when that was happening, and I remember most of us diddn't care because lol, internet. So I don't find this show accurate."

The closest a show set as a sort-of period-piece that I can relate to like that, was maybe Fresh Off the Boat's mid-90's setting, but that being a comedy plays most references for gags or laughs, even if there's some heart behind it. (the "OH, HAHA, Super Nintendo is radical guys. Isn't Shaq the man?" moments)

When we're seeing shows billed as period pieces, and not just 'famous event from a few years ago finally turned into a movie after securing the rights' which is set in the mid-aughts, and we can be like "I remember when 4-chan and cats and Bush's re-election!" will that mean we're legit old people?
    Post edited by SWATrous on
  • I liked Humans. The premise is likely something you've seen before, but its really well done and doesn't just feel like an Asimov clone or something.

And oh shit Mr. Robot. Its like every time you think they decided to get dark, the next episode one-ups it.

Still watching Dark Matter and Killjoys. They definitely have that Canadian-produced Scifi feel to them and sometimes seem like they want to be Firefly but they scratch a certain itch even though they aren't exactly the highest quality shows. Also, the Syfy channel seems to be a big fan of the Tavor, albeit with some extra shit on there to make it look more futuristic.

• Well for a while it was the P90 and G36, I guess the Tavor is what's up now. I would like to see the AUG make a comeback personally, it was a hot piece.
  • Yeah, Stargate was all about the P90. I do like the AUG but one of the main reasons is that the normal one doesn't look weird with a 16" barrel whereas the civilian PS90 just looks wrong with the barrel sticking out and to SBR it adds $200 to an already expensive range toy.
  • Finished Daredevil. It is very good. I'm surprised at how good so many of the actors were throughout, and with the limited scope and length of the story, it stayed consistently interesting.

Also we finished season 1 of Adventure Time, which is incredibly entertaining. Season 2 is ready to go on Netflix.