This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What TV Shows Are You Watching?

Comments

• Oh if you liked season 1, you're in for it going forward.

Nah but for real I might have to go rewatch some early AT because those were some great episodes.
  • I liked Humans. The premise is likely something you've seen before, but its really well done and doesn't just feel like an Asimov clone or something.

I watched most of the episodes from season 1, the subject was incredibly interesting however I think that is just because they are investigating along the Asimov ideas.
    Maybe because I'm not use to watching moderately good British shows, it seemed to be quite generic and easy to guess.

If Niska is supposed to hold hate against humans for being a conscious being pretending to be a prostitute robot, she really need to kill more people. Why did she not kill that guy that picked her up from the bar? Why did she stop just because he is a divorced Dad?

I don't know why Max was such a slow learner, also the bridge jump point was so forced (I would think if you're an android you could work out that you needed to charge whenever it is safe to).

Also super British family with a teenage daughter who can read and code machine code, I had to just accept that fact but she was like the superhero who could do anything with a computer.

I would have also liked more insight into the Mia and super Dad sexual encounter. Can you rape sentient robot?

I just felt there were many points which were skipped over to concentrate on silly or less interesting scenes or minor story points.
  • sK0pe said:

I liked Humans. The premise is likely something you've seen before, but its really well done and doesn't just feel like an Asimov clone or something.

I watched most of the episodes from season 1, the subject was incredibly interesting however I think that is just because they are investigating along the Asimov ideas.
    Maybe because I'm not use to watching moderately good British shows, it seemed to be quite generic and easy to guess.

If Niska is supposed to hold hate against humans for being a conscious being pretending to be a prostitute robot, she really need to kill more people. Why did she not kill that guy that picked her up from the bar? Why did she stop just because he is a divorced Dad?

I don't know why Max was such a slow learner, also the bridge jump point was so forced (I would think if you're an android you could work out that you needed to charge whenever it is safe to).

Also super British family with a teenage daughter who can read and code machine code, I had to just accept that fact but she was like the superhero who could do anything with a computer.

I would have also liked more insight into the Mia and super Dad sexual encounter. Can you rape sentient robot?

I just felt there were many points which were skipped over to concentrate on silly or less interesting scenes or minor story points.
    I wanted to hear more about the cop who is being replaced by a robot in his marriage and his job, the kid who turns down a real life girl because he likes the robot that cleans his house, and how the robots would fit into schools, customer service and prisons.

Instead we get a group of flat one dimensional robots and all the interesting personalities are pushed to the background. The plot is only pushed forwards by weird world building choices, like the fact that a robot has never killed someone and that robots can clearly drive cars but for some reason everybody isn't getting robot controlled taxis.
  • Instead we get a group of flat one dimensional robots and all the interesting personalities are pushed to the background. The plot is only pushed forwards by weird world building choices, like the fact that a robot has never killed someone and that robots can clearly drive cars but for some reason everybody isn't getting robot controlled taxis.

Yeah I agree, I'm not sure what the big fuss was, I don't think I'll continue watching this one. It's more soap opera with robots than anything else. They had a chance of doing something thought provoking but fell short.
  • Sense8 is sorta psychic Orphan Black.
  • Bojack is a surprisingly good human drama.
  • Mr Robot
    Way better show than I expected, the way it's shot and edited makes you feel a little anxious like the protagonist. There must be a writer or two on staff who actually understands programming because there are some implicit programming metaphors going on which can be picked up in the early episodes.

Also not everything looks like a garbled mess some of the code and the concepts being conveyed are realistic.

I'm only on episode 3, the main character is obviously being directed to act in an awkward manner which is cool but at some times a little off putting. He's no super hero and I feel as if he gives his best performances in his scenes interacting with his dog. Supporting cast is quite interesting. Looking forward to the rest of the series.
  • I'm watching Mr. Robot as well, and it has continued to be excellent.
  • I think Mr. Robot has been the best show of 2015 (for me).
    I had a strong feeling that there was a Tyler Durden like interaction between Elliot and Mr. Robot but wasn't completely sure. I was surprised at the Darlene reveal however as it was happening I realised especially the way she interacted with Elliot through the show.

There is no reason that non technology or hack culture people should be interested in this enemy but it is written incredibly well. I would recommend it for people who don't even watch TV shows for regular entertainment. (Even my parents like this show and while Mum understands only consumer tech things, she hasn't used command line OS 's before yet can follow the plot well).

I also finished Season 2 of Bojack and for some reason I liked the season 2 plot more than first season. It had many moments of "that's too real" for me (which I appreciated).
  • Rick and Morty escalated this week. Fuck.
  • edited September 2015
    Is "Humans" better than the swedish "Real Humans"? Because I'm already a few episodes into that one.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Is "Humans" better than the swedish "Real Humans"? Because I'm already a few episodes into that one.

"Humans" was terrible in my opinion, family members who have watched both, prefer the Swedish one.
  • The Brink was pretty meh, it was definitely funny at times, but the comedy was so absurd at times (and lowbrow) that it was hard to view it as anything more then a low rent Dr. Strangelove. Though I did enjoy it enough that I'll probably watch the second season, just because Foreign Policy Political comedy is hard to find.
  • Well I can see why Mr. Robot was pushed a week even though it wasn't exactly the same situation.
    I have a feeling it was kind of referencing the Budd Dwyer Case, although the guy seems a bit more guilty here. And yeah, Mr. Robot is Tyler Durden and FSociety is Project Mayhem
  • On the whole, Running Man tops other Korean variety shows, but Infinity Challenge beats the hell out of it with their long-term projects. Whether it's spending a season tending a rice paddy, or actually learning to wrestle so they can put on a show, or delivering food to people that have been unable to having been enslaved and belittled by invading powers. RM easily takes the cake week to week, but if IC decides to spend time on a topic...
  • If anyone is still on the fence, I'd defiantly recommend people check out Mr. Robot. Not perfect, but really the only show I've bothered keeping up with lately.

It'll be interesting to see where they take it next season.
  • edited September 2015

Sense8 is sorta psychic Orphan Black.

I guess so, although IMO the message is different. A fantastic show, however, with the right balance of beautiful moments, humor, and ass kicking. I think it succeeds where most persecuted mutants fictions fail. Created by the Wachowski sibs, if you need convincing.

Mr Robot definitely gets my thumbs up, but I think Americans, POI, & Sense8 are stronger shows, overall.
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • Ruffas said:

On the whole, Running Man tops other Korean variety shows, but Infinity Challenge beats the hell out of it with their long-term projects. Whether it's spending a season tending a rice paddy, or actually learning to wrestle so they can put on a show, or delivering food to people that have been unable to having been enslaved and belittled by invading powers. RM easily takes the cake week to week, but if IC decides to spend time on a topic...

My wife has started watching The Genius. I understand the appeal, but I'm not very impressed with the games they have to play so far.

• Matt said:

Ruffas said:

On the whole, Running Man tops other Korean variety shows, but Infinity Challenge beats the hell out of it with their long-term projects. Whether it's spending a season tending a rice paddy, or actually learning to wrestle so they can put on a show, or delivering food to people that have been unable to having been enslaved and belittled by invading powers. RM easily takes the cake week to week, but if IC decides to spend time on a topic...

My wife has started watching The Genius. I understand the appeal, but I'm not very impressed with the games they have to play so far.

Not into it either.
  • Ended up watching the Netflix series Narcos. Which is based on the true story of Pablo Escobar and the US DEA agency agents that were stationed in Colombia.
    I really enjoyed the narrated presentation. I honestly did not know that one man had that much power in the real world, affecting the political landscape of multiple countries.
    The actor for Escobar sells it perfectly, I believed he was the guy for the entire first season and rooted for him at times.
    Also everything in Spanish is spoken in Spanish so 90% or more of the show, it you can't handle subtitles don't watch this show however it provides authenticity to the show and story.

I wouldn't think I needed to re-watch it but I wouldn't turn it off.
  • Mr Robot definitely gets my thumbs up, but I think Americans, POI, & Sense8 are stronger shows, overall.

Wow I watched Person of Interest. The show is the most generic vigilante, monster of the week show. With the continuing adventures of Benjamin Linus from the last season of Lost and average to poor acting from everyone else.
    Not my cup of tea at all.
  • edited September 2015
    Person of Interest develops an overarching plotline with some great coverage of topics relating to superintelligent AI in later seasons, but if you don't enjoy the monster-of-the-week side of the show it's probably not worth it.

As I mentioned a couple of pages ago, it's similar to (but nowhere near as bad as) GaoGaiGar in this regard.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Person of Interest develops an overarching plotline with some great coverage of topics relating to superintelligent AI in later seasons, but if you don't enjoy the monster-of-the-week side of the show it's probably not worth it.

As I mentioned a couple of pages ago, it's similar to (but nowhere near as bad as) GaoGaiGar in this regard.

I second this. I was initially disappointed with Person of Interest because it seemed like just another episode of the week show. However, as the universe of the show grows, and the overarching plot comes more into focus, the show rises above its mediocre beginnings.
  • SWATrous said:

(aka you loved Horatio Hornblower, aka you are my mom.)

I may not be your mom, but I love me some Horatio Hornblower.
  • Person of Interest develops an overarching plotline with some great coverage of topics relating to superintelligent AI in later seasons, but if you don't enjoy the monster-of-the-week side of the show it's probably not worth it.

Ok I'll give it another chance.
  • Nuri's been watching Scandal on Netflix. I had never bothered with the show before, but I've been half-watching it when she is.

I have to admit, it's kind of fun to watch what is basically the polar opposite of The West Wing. Instead of idealistic characters trying to do what's right, you've got pragmatic assholes shitting all over everything unabashedly, and getting away with it.

I literally want everyone in that show to die in a fire, and it's glorious.
  • sK0pe said:

Person of Interest develops an overarching plotline with some great coverage of topics relating to superintelligent AI in later seasons, but if you don't enjoy the monster-of-the-week side of the show it's probably not worth it.

Ok I'll give it another chance.
    Yeah, I'm a huge fan of the show, but will be the first to admit how mediocre the first season was. But as the plotlines and characters develop, and the "number of the week" episodes become more relevant to the plot, the show really shines. Unfortunately, the CBS demographic is into the throwaway episode thing, and not into the whole AI thing, so it's a bit of compromise, which is why this upcoming season may well be the last.
  • Now if you wanna see a bad "monster of the week" police procedural, watch CSI: Cyber.
  • Now if you wanna see a bad "monster of the week" police procedural, watch CSI: Cyber.

The procedural genre is going to get nuts soon, with Law & Order: You the Jury where viewers get to decide the verdict on real legal cases and vote on the veracity of witnesses and persuasiveness of evidence throughout the trial.
  • Nukerjsr said:

Now if you wanna see a bad "monster of the week" police procedural, watch CSI: Cyber.

The procedural genre is going to get nuts soon, with Law & Order: You the Jury where viewers get to decide the verdict on real legal cases and vote on the veracity of witnesses and persuasiveness of evidence throughout the trial.
    That sounds like something out of a Black Mirror episode.