This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What TV Shows Are You Watching?

Comments

• edited October 2016
    Marvel's Luke Cage
    I've watched the first two episodes, and I am enjoying the show. Thus far, it is a predictable, but that matters little as it is the treatment - strong direction, vivid characters, relatively realistic dialogue, and a carefully controlled and consistent aesthetic style - make it well worth the rather pat exposition. I like it far more than Daredevil (the latter half of the second season became unwatchable, IMO) and even Jessica Jones, which I greatly enjoyed; however, it is still early days. It is a promising start. ^_^
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • @Kate Monster I'm with you on Luke Cage.
  • Westworld seems pretty interesting so far.
  • I just started watching "Rick and Morty" amazing show. I am very close to think that Dan Harmon can do no wrong.
  • MATATAT said:

Westworld seems pretty interesting so far.

I just watched the first episode and I'm sold!!
  • I've been rewatching Babylon 5 with some new friends who haven't seen it before. The special effects are so primitive it's distracting at times. Beyond that, the story still holds up well. It's eerie how every time I watch it I find that it somehow is speaking directly to the world's political issues that we're dealing with right now. Every freaking time. Do we not learn?
  • Finished Luke Cage. I thought it was the best Marvel/Netflix series so far, slightly edging out Jessica Jones.
  • Erwin said:

I just started watching "Rick and Morty" amazing show. I am very close to think that Dan Harmon can do no wrong.

Season 3 is on it's way!!! XD
  • Damn I just started Luke cage, and first scene already has Sugar from Banshee and Romero from Mr. Robot.
  • edited October 2016
    Luke Cage isn't my favorite Marvel/Netflix show, Daredevil is still my favorite, but holy shit is this show so brilliant with the social commentary. Episode 12 deserves awards, however Luke Cage's monologue in episode 13 was so good.

I plan on checking out the soundtrack soon.

The series started off a bit slow for me, but I got hooked. I will probably watch again before we talk about it on ATW9K.

This show pretty much did what people of color have been wanting needing in regards for representation of smart black people.

Edit:
    Also the white people shade on it, I can't stop laughing.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I can't wait to hear from the one person who became a Luke Cage fan and actually went back to read some old comics. He was basically Black Dynamite. Dat jive talk.
  • Sweet Christmas is going to be a thing I will start to say.

• can't wait for the Luke Cage/Iron Fist Heroes for Hire series in a few years!
  • Rochelle said:

Sweet Christmas is going to be a thing I will start to say.

I want to embroider it on a hoodie.
  • Rochelle said:

Sweet Christmas is going to be a thing I will start to say.

I want to embroider it on a hoodie.
    YES!
    Bonus: Dr. Doom needed a black person to do some work, so he hired Luke Cage. He was Hero for Hire, so he got the job done.
    Doom made a big mistake, though, and didn't pay up.
  • While the above is hilarious, the current Power Man and Iron Fist comic's writer and artist are black and authentic in their portrayal of a black character in the US (as much as I can tell, it's like nothing done previously).
  • Lots of relaxing, knitting, and TV shows this last month:

Vice Principals - HBO dark comedy with Danny McBride and Walton Goggins. If you don't like Danny McBride and his persona, this show isn't for you. However, I don't mind him. I never got into his other HBO stuff, but this show is seriously enjoyable just on Walton Goggins alone and his character as they try to defame a newly appointed principal so either one can climb up the ladder. I laughed so hard several times watching it.

Westworld - watched first two episodes. I'm hooked. Which reminds me, I really need to watch Ex Machina. But as a side note Ramin Djawadi is doing the soundtrack. You may know him from Game of Thrones. The music is so far good stuff. Love when they do the old timey piano to newer songs. I had to do a double take and rewind with Blackhole Sun.

Rome - it's essentially pre-GoT with HBO. Too bad it was only 2 seasons. Lots of familiar faces that will later appear in GoT, but political/historical stuff, always good to go with me.

I think I'll just go on benders with HBO shows. Other TV shows from other networks aren't really jiving with me right now. As for Agents of Shield, I'll just wait. Going on bender with that proves to be more fun than waiting week after week.
  • Westworld has been pretty solid so far. I might come back to Vice Principles but watching the first couple episodes it wasn't really grabbing me the same way Eastbound and Down did.
  • Rome, especially the first season, is one of the best shows of all time.
  • edited October 2016
    I'm loving Westworld. Solid writing, top tier cast (I particularly appreciate seeing Sidse Babett Knudsen; I enjoyed her work in Borgen). And hot damn, the music. Person of Interest was also produced by J Nolan & JJ Abrams (and had Djawadi composing), but it was compromised by being on CBS. WW definitely has similar themes regarding AI and memory. It's good to see them back in TV.

I tried watching Arrow. It was so terrible, I'm surprised it's as popular as it is.
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • I managed to get about 20 minutes into the first episode of Arrow. It was utter garbage. My girlfriend convinced me to give it another go, and I got to the end, but then she said she only did that to show how it got even worse.
  • Rome, especially the first season, is one of the best shows of all time.

Seconded. Season two was not nearly as good.

Just started watching Ripper Street (is every actor from GoT going to guest star?) About five episodes in and really enjoying it. Did this air on a BBC pay channel? I was surprised to see nudity.

Grimgar season one was good. Looking forward to an eventual season two and I like the animation and slow pace of the story.
  • Halt and Catch Fire wrapped up season 3 this week, in a pair of excellent episodes. AMC apparently has renewed for one final season, which is more than most expected despite being excellent quality. So now I hope there's a small potential for a continuation beyond a 4th season, because the show has worked to a great point over the 3 seasons. Good tho they were on their own premises, now it almost feels like the first 2 seasons were establishing the nuanced back story for the real meat of the tale, which is just about to come into view as the dawn of the Internet era washes over these early computer mavens. We see the first glimpses, and in this arrangement I could watch the show for years to come.

Also now looking to jump in on Westworld.
  • Cross-post from Random Questions:

Atlanta is my favorite show of 2016. Donald Glover is brilliant capturing the dramedy of Black life in this environment he knows so well exploring the everything from slice-of-life conversations, sudden escalation of crime, money trouble and moderate surrealism. The character development is phenomenal yet the show will still spend episodes devoted to hysterical commentary or concentrate on one person's day-to-day life. It fills the void left by The Boondocks after it's final shitty season and THEN SOME. Incredible work and love all the new actors.
  • Member Derrick Comedy... mm-member..?

• Dazzle369 said:

Member Derrick Comedy... mm-member..?

Yes...
    What about them?
  • True Detective.

• If you haven't already seen Black Mirror, see it already! Season 3 is on Netflix. 12 episodes coming!

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/black-mirror/on-demand/60121-001