This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What TV Shows Are You Watching?

Comments

• I've been watching A LOT of Littlest Pet Shop. Shit's hilarious.
  • HMTKSteve said:

Rome, especially the first season, is one of the best shows of all time.

Seconded. Season two was not nearly as good.

Just started watching Ripper Street (is every actor from GoT going to guest star?) About five episodes in and really enjoying it. Did this air on a BBC pay channel? I was surprised to see nudity.

Grimgar season one was good. Looking forward to an eventual season two and I like the animation and slow pace of the story.
    If memory serves it was just shown in the evening on BBC One.

I've got a few episodes of the new season of The Blacklist saved up now, I'll be diving in to those very soon. James Spader is great in that show.
  • Finished Luke Cage!

I had a lot of fun with this one. While it's not noticeably better than Daredevil season 1 or Jessica Jones, it keeps up a more interesting story though the whole 13 episodes.

I LOVED the music, both the live music in the club and most of the soundtrack stuff. But I HATE the opening credits theme music. Compared to Daredevil and Jessica Jones opening themes, which really put me in the mood each time, this one I just wanted to skip.

I liked Luke's story, but all the supporting characters were almost more interesting. Mike Colter is only the fifth or sixth best actor in the show though, so it's fine that others can carry the weight of the drama.

I spotted the Stan Lee cameo, though he's just on a poster.

One thing: episode four. What a load of crap! All the other episodes were worth watching, but at the time it felt tedious, just annoying origin story stuff. Boring! And very silly. Later in the series it becomes clear that we needed the plot info contained in that episode, but at the time I couldn't believe such a low quality episode managed to make it into the show.

On to Agents of Shield season 2 with Age of Ultron and Ant-Man in between.
  • Are you doing podcasts on your marvel watching? I'd listen :-p
  • Also Finished Luke Cage. 1st Half is quite great while the 2nd Half is incredibly plodding and dull. When they introduce Diamondback, the show takes a real downturn just due to the fact he's a very meh factor with matching bland backstory. You could make the argument for Cottonmouth, but Cottonmouth is so elevated by his actor. Not to mention a lot of the plot and dramatic twists are dependent on Misty Knight being an incompetent cop which really weighs the show down when it gets more police procedural-like.

Easily the weakest of the Netflix Marvel shows. Will look forward to Cage in Defenders and even Iron Fist...but for the love of god, FIX YOUR CHOREOGRAPHY MARVEL. If Iron Fist has bad choreography like Cage or Jessica Jones, that series is dead in the water.
  • Cremlian said:

Are you doing podcasts on your marvel watching? I'd listen :-p

We plan on doing a special SFBRP episode around Christmas talking about all the movies and TV shows in the MCU phases one and two.
  • Blacklist is alright, although it's network TV, which means it takes seasons for characters to get stuff that is super obvious all the time. Recent season has been boring to me thus far... Like Alias without the fun outfits and cool unrealistic technology. Spader is great, but he deserves more than the Liz, Tom, and Agnes show.

I've recently started Designated Survivor (so far so good), Westworld (obviously). And am continuing The Fall & Humans.
  • Dazzle369 said:

If you haven't already seen Black Mirror, see it already! Season 3 is on Netflix. 12 episodes coming!

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/black-mirror/on-demand/60121-001

I love this series, this season is so good and I've only watched 3 episodes!

I guess there's no real sci-fi anywhere else.
  • sK0pe said:

Dazzle369 said:

If you haven't already seen Black Mirror, see it already! Season 3 is on Netflix. 12 episodes coming!

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/black-mirror/on-demand/60121-001

I love this series, this season is so good and I've only watched 3 episodes!

Define real. I'd say Expanse and Humans counts. And there's tons of Canadian Sci Fi, if you're into inclusionary, but campy, scifi flavored tv.
  • sK0pe said:

Truth.

@sK0pe @no fun girl

The Christmas special is my favourite episode. Still need to start season 3, haven't had time! It's been in my queue since it's release.
  • Crazy Ex-Girlfriend has an awful name, but the show is incredible. It actually analyzes a unstable person with romantic delusions in such a clever, refreshing way. The soundtrack is just incredible; Rachel Bloom (who did Fuck Me, Ray Bradbury) is a real treasure.

• I watched the first episode of Westworld, and I am excited to see more. I was reluctant to give it a go because Evan Rachel Wood has never brought much to the roles in which I have seen her perform. However, her blankness works for this role and the other performances were outstanding. The aesthetics and music would make the show worth a watch on its own; that it also has great performances, an intriguing plot, compelling (if occasionally too potent) dialogue, and promises to address genuinely interesting themes give me high hopes for more than just some sci-fi eye and ear candy. However, Ed Harris's character is so baldly, brutally, and convincingly vile that I need a break before watching the next episode.

I am catching up on Halt and Catch Fire. I watched the first season when it came out, but am just seeing the second season now. Thus far, the second season has become a daytime soap opera, which is not what I wanted from this show. Did they hire writers from Days of our Lives? I have heard that season three is excellent, so I may just read a plot summary of the rest of the second season.

The Good Place, Kristen Bell and Ted Danson's new show, functions as Intro to Ethics and Philosophy for primary schoolers, but because of that rather than in spite of it, the show is really charming. 20-some-minutes of odd chuckles while the threat of the major character being sent to an actual hell at any minute looms in the back of the viewers mind is quite entertaining. I recommend it for anyone looking for seemingly light but actually quite dark, quirky humor.
  • A friend of mine recommended that I check out Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories on Netflix. Not knowing anything about the show, I thought it was kind of like an Anthony Bourdain travel documentary show about eating in Tokyo.

It's not.

It's actually a show based around a diner in Tokyo that's open from midnight to 7am and the various customers that eat there. I ended up watching the entire first season this weekend, not especially hard considering that there are only 10 episode, each about 24 minutes long. I cannot recommend this show enough. It was amazing.

Go watch it.

• I'll second that - I've had it on my second screen the last few days, alternating that and Sense8(which is also pretty great), and it's a must-watch.
  • A friend of mine recommended that I check out Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories on Netflix. Not knowing anything about the show, I thought it was kind of like an Anthony Bourdain travel documentary show about eating in Tokyo.

It's not.

It's actually a show based around a diner in Tokyo that's open from midnight to 7am and the various customers that eat there. I ended up watching the entire first season this weekend, not especially hard considering that there are only 10 episode, each about 24 minutes long. I cannot recommend this show enough. It was amazing.

Go watch it.

My father loves that show. He finished it in a week.
    It is definitely on my next set of shows to watch for this weekend.
  • Black Mirror!
  • People of Earth is delightful and, oddly, set in Beacon, NY.

• Yeah. Westworld is a show that should NOT be binged. I've spoken to several guys who've told me that their wives were really uncomfortable watching the show and no longer want to watch.

I totally understand where they are coming from.

I'm really digging the Easte eggs of trying to figure out the pop songs inserted in the music. They should have just used the entire Ok Computer album.
  • Westworld is amazing, here is some proof (not really spoiler-y but does drop some plot points)

• Yeah, I saw the 1970s film early October. Imagine my confusion when everyone started talking about it.
  • ThatGent said:

Yeah, I saw the 1970s film early October. Imagine my confusion when everyone started talking about it.

Hail to the King baby.
  • edited November 2016
    Andrew said:

Westworld is amazing, here is some proof (not really spoiler-y but does drop some plot points)

Not to mention the blatant metaphors of the overflowing wine glass spilling on the white tablecloth (blood, violence) and machines tearing up the tranquility (upheaval, violence against nostalgia, beauty, status quo).

I've been re-watching episodes, and there's some fantastic narrative sleight-of-hand, as well. E.g. discussing "newcomers" while focusing on Teddy riding on the train. Which settings are shown in various (and different) states of decay...
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • Daikun said:
    Thanks, Obama!

(Gotta get as many of those in as possible before time runs out...)

• Westworld. FAckk!

I suspected the events of this episode, but it was unspoiled because the acting is delicious!
  • Guess I've gotta get on this Westworld chuckwagon at some point.

Bet its gonna make me get out my black powder revolver.
  • Because the world has taken a turn to the absurd, I've decided to watch an absurd, but lovable show, and started Flight of the Concords season 2. I love this show and it's mix of the ridiculous and the mundane.
  • Interesting, they're saying that season 2 of Westworld might not be coming until 2018.
  • I have pulled a Scott and decided to watch something that's mad long so I'll always have something to watch if I want. With that in mind I started watching Law & Order, the original. Mostly causes me to google shit mid episode, namely obscure laws or cases. Somewhere inside my head there's a lawyer who didn't go to law school.