This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

How The Internet Is Slowly Messing Me Up

edited July 2010 in Everything Else
I don't mean to say that I "typ liek dis" in school assignments, or that I have a crazy short attention span because of constantly being on YouTube. It's just that memes have almost become part of my personality, in how I talk and act and write.

For instance, today in my Chemistry (summer school, bleh), we were making simplified step-by-step instructions on how to do figure our Empirical Formulas and Molecular Formulas. When on the last step, I had to do everything within my ability to not write "5. ????, 6. PROFIT."

Have any of you had a similar experience? Do you view these as bad things or good? What do you think about when you hear people say "for the win" or "over 9000" out loud in real life?

Comments

• edited July 2010
    Cue Rym or Scott jumping in and mentioning how the over-repetition of social currency in real life is lame.

In all seriousness, I do find myself over-saturated by memes or other internet humor at times. One LOLCat is funny, a hundred thousand of them are cliched. Every once in a while I slip a bit of meme-humor into real-life, but for the most part I know that no one else would get the joke so I just let it rest (even when an "over 9000" remark would be appropriate.)
    Post edited by Techparadox on
  • The cake is a pie.
  • I use references to internet things a lot but I am always willing and aware of moments when I need to explain myself. (especially at work in IT with my two older co-workers).
  • Now, I hate it when people say memes out loud, like trying to speak like a lolcat or yelling the cake is a lie. That bugs the crap out of me, but I think it's because of the frequency and the age group it's from. The freshman at my highschool just say things like that all the time, with no reagrds to context or definitions of the memes. So when I wanted to list those last two steps, I nearly killed myself on the spot. I felt like I was becoming them.
  • When on the last step, I had to do everything within my ability to not write "5. ????, 6. PROFIT."
    You're kidding right? Was it actually just a silly passing thought, or did you seriously have that big a problem? Regardless of whichever it is, the solution to the latter is easy. Just don't be that retard.

I myself and blessed with the fact that I do not come anywhere near someone who would pull dumb shit like that out loud in public. Sure, we make the rare reference joke when talking amongst ourselves where we know that the other party will get it.
  • You're kidding right? Was it actually just a silly passing thought, or did you seriously have that big a problem? Regardless of whichever it is, the solution to the latter is easy. Just don't be that retard.
    Yes, it was just a passing thought, I just didn't like that it was passing through.
  • Yes, it was just a passing thought, I just didn't like that it was passing through.
    I'd suggest adding a toll to you head. That'll discourage random thoughts from just passing through and keep your mind free for important thoughts.
  • The cake is a pie.
    This made me chuckle.

No one should ever say an internet meme in real life.
  • Yes, it was just a passing thought, I just didn't like that it was passing through.
    Meh, it was appropriate and funny. Nothing bad about it, don't kill yourself over it, you'll do something more deserving of that at another point in your life.
  • No one should ever say an internet meme in real life.
    Why? That's like saying, "You can't quote StarWars."
  • TVTropes ruined my vocabulary.
    This happened to me. I say things like "Berserk Buttton," "lampshaded," and "nightmare fuel" with alarming frequency.
  • TVTropes ruined my vocabulary.
    This happened to me. I say things like "Berserk Buttton," "lampshaded," and "nightmare fuel" with alarming frequency.
    Wow, now that you mention it, I used "lampshaded" yesterday.
  • No one should ever say an internet meme in real life.
    I disagree. Instead, it's simply that no one should quote something out of context solely as a means of displaying social currency.
  • edited July 2010
    Unless extremely tired and/or drunk.

They dun turk mah jurb.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • To expand upon Rym's point, because I pretty much completely agree with him on this, here's two scenarios, one funny, one unfunny.

Funny: I'm at a birthday party. There was to be cake at said party, but someone forgot to pick it up. I turn to my best friend and say "Heh. I guess the cake was a lie.". Laughter, freezeframe, credits.

Unfunny: I'm standing in line at a convention. I turn to the person behind me and say "The cake is a lie".
  • edited July 2010
    This.
    How is it so hard for so many people (not necessarily on these forums) to understand such a simple concept?
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Funny: I'm at a birthday party. There was to be cake at said party, but someone forgot to pick it up. I turn to my best friend and say "Heh. I guess the cake was a lie.". Laughter, freezeframe, credits.

Unfunny: I'm standing in line at a convention. I turn to the person behind me and say "The cake is a lie".
    Also acceptable - to incorporate a meme into a larger joke, though it's 50/50 if the joke is entirely for the sake of the incorporation of the meme.