This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Car Enthusiast Thread.

Comments

• Okay but when you are down shifting you are usually looking for that, for a more efficient stop.
  • edited July 2010
    Okay but when you are down shifting you are usually looking for that, for a more efficient stop.
    Meh, that's important in places with uneven mountain terrain, you can do with your brakes only (although more expensive due to more brake maintenance) in the big cities. Here in CR you HAVE to learn to break with your engine if you drive a stick (about 90% of cars here are also stick) as there is barely any flat road here.

Downshifting an automatic on the downhill may on the long term damage one of the fans in your torque converter or the pump itself (at least that's what I've been told).
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • You know that's not even necessary right? That is just fine tuning of your driving skills when you feel like it. You can down shift and shift from neutral at anytime as long as you are in a reasonable rpm scope. Come to Brazil 90% of the cars here are stick shift! lol
    Same here, aye - It's really weird to me that the majority of the cars in the US are Auto, and that a large amount of people don't even know how to drive a stick. Not forgotten, but just straight up just don't know how.
  • You know that's not even necessary right? That is just fine tuning of your driving skills when you feel like it. You can down shift and shift from neutral at anytime as long as you are in a reasonable rpm scope. Come to Brazil 90% of the cars here are stick shift! lol
    Same here, aye - It's really weird to me that the majority of the cars in the US are Auto, and that a large amount of people don't even know how to drive a stick. Not forgotten, but just straight up just don't know how.
    Yeah, unless you're driving a performance car, there really is no push to learn. Even newer performance cars come with paddle shifting, which is like a manual automatic.
  • Yeah, unless you're driving a performance car, there really is no push to learn. Even newer performance cars come with paddle shifting, which is like a manual automatic.
    As Jeremy Clarkson would say, "stupid flappy paddle things."
  • Ugh, people and the lazy. Looking at you pete.
  • Ugh, people and the lazy. Looking at you pete.
    Look, all I'm saying is that technology is fucking awesome. If someone makes something that does that shit for me - say, a conveniently loaded shotgun - who am I to forsake that? Nay, it's my duty as a humanist to drive an automatic with stupid flappy paddle things.
  • edited July 2010
    who am I to forsake that?
    An individual allowed the luxury of choice.
    say, a conveniently loaded shotgun
    Serbu Super shorty - a tube magazine 12 gauge that fits in your glovebox. Unless your car is a glovebox.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • You'll be driving a stick perfectly in a couple of hours.
    AAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAAA. You might look less stupid if you take out that 'perfectly'.
    (I shift to neutral on downhills to save gas)
    but I don't like "engine braking"
    I "know" how to drive one, but I've never actually driven one.
    GOD DAMMIT YOU DON'T FUCKING KNOW HOW TO DRIVE, HOW TO SAVE PETROL OR HOW TO DRIVE A STICK. REMAIN ON A BICYCLE TILL CHURBA CAN SLAP YOU AROUND THE EARS.
  • GOD DAMMIT YOU DON'T FUCKING KNOW HOW TO DRIVE, HOW TO SAVE PETROL OR HOW TO DRIVE A STICK. REMAIN ON A BICYCLE TILL CHURBA CAN SLAP YOU AROUND THE EARS.
    As he says, you're so clueless as to what is in store for you if you think that's all there is to stick.
  • Jesus why so polite Mr. Univers? I have faith in the boy.
  • Soooo, fun fact. It'll cost less to insure a brand new Miata than it currently costs me to insure my saab.
  • edited July 2010
    GOD DAMMIT YOU DON'T FUCKING KNOW HOW TO DRIVE, HOW TO SAVE PETROL OR HOW TO DRIVE A STICK. REMAIN ON A BICYCLE TILL CHURBA CAN SLAP YOU AROUND THE EARS.
    As he says, you're so clueless as to what is in store for you if you think that's all there is to stick.
    Oh, I won't pretend to think that's all there is. Clearly experience yields more knowledge on almost any subject than theorizing.
    Soooo, fun fact. It'll cost less to insure a brand new Miata than it currently costs me to insure my saab.
    Miata time?
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Oh, I won't pretend to think that's all there is.
    Well you're overlooking the most crucial and difficult part of learning stick once you've already learned to drive, clutch control. I think learning stick before or as you learn to drive is the best way to learn.
    Miata time?
    Clearly.
    Oh yeah, you're still pretty new. That's Nine. That's what he's like. You get used to it, he's pretty harmless. Just chill.
  • Oh, I won't pretend to think that's all there is.
    Well you're overlooking the most crucial and difficult part of learning stick once you've already learned to drive, clutch control. I think learning stick before or as you learn to drive is the best way to learn.
    Clutch control is why manual transmissions kick so much fucking ass.

Also, take note: shifting into neutral to save gas will not save you as much gas as you think it will, and learning to engine brake is a boon when you're traveling at high speeds on public roads. Practical knowledge about manual transmissions really isn't well-gained until you're regularly driving a car with one; you'll learn stuff like rev matching without even realizing it as a matter of necessity.

As for the car Sonic wants, I'd throw mine into the mix. 143 HP, my model year is a 5 speed manual, selective FWD/AWD, and a four-door hatch (with those folding seats you asked about). Go-cart handling, and astounding acceleration on straightaways for a 2.0L I4. It's a damn good car, and I'm proud to drive one. Cheap, easy to modify, and there aren't too many like it out there. At least, not where I live.
    Oh yeah, you're still pretty new. That's Nine. That's what he's like. You get used to it, he's pretty harmless. Just chill.
    Ya, don't feed the troll. It only makes him stronger.
  • Ya, don't feed the troll. It only makes him stronger.
    And everyone squealing troll at everything he said, even when it was entirely reasonable and polite pretty much removed all point to acting in a polite and tempered fashion. So, Y'know, Way to go, guys.
  • edited July 2010
    rant

So apparently, the reason the STi I drove felt like such a dog performance wise was because I had the throttle in "Intelligent" mode rather than "Sport#." I have a bit of a beef with this. Why the hell is the throttle adjustable? Why is the power variable. This is an 300 hp, AWD sports sedan, why would I want it watered down? Same with the center diff, it has all manner of settings that the driver can select. Why? Why isn't it just "the best"? Why are they giving me this choice? I didn't make the car, I don't know what the fuck I'm doing. Just set it up the fastest and don't ask me any questions! The only thing I want computer wise is a button to turn off the stability corner when I track the car, otherwise I want to make as few decisions about the setup of the car as I can. Mitsubishi understands this, their car only has 3 settings: Tarmac, Gravel, or Snow. These are here only because the car doesn't have eyes and can't see what you're driving on. Otherwise the car is ready setup from the factory, no adjustments necessary.

/rant
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • I'm surprised that as a super car guy like you didn't know this. Even Ferraris have these different driving modes. They exist so that you can drive the car like a normal car and don't kill yourself when you're off the track.
  • edited July 2010
    The Ferrari is different, it has preset modes. You simply choose how fast you want to go. They're like like macro settings. The STi is micro adjustable, it's just a pain. Also there's a massive difference between a mid-engine, 500+ hp, RWD supercar and a 300 hp, AWD, sports sedan based on a front engine economy car. The STi doesn't need to be reigned in to be managable on the road.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Isn't it so the car will chug less fuel on a softer setting? If it is, it's a good reason to have it I guess.
  • If they're using it to artifically boost their poor fuel economy ratings then I do not approve.
  • So will you be taking the STI for another test drive then?
  • Doubt it, it lacked the tactile feedback I desire in a car. If I had to own an impreza or be shot I'd go for the simpler WRX.
  • I'm strongly considering a Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T R-Spec. Does anyone have any experience with this car?
  • I'm strongly considering a Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T R-Spec. Does anyone have any experience with this car?
    I was watching their track drive video and it looked good. I'd be interested in taking it for a test drive around here.
    Got nothing, but I'll put my ear to the ground.