This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Podcasts to bring on a trip

13»

Comments

• Oh shit! I was arguing with Scott!

I must admit, I rationalized this to myself by thinking "I'm not actually arguing, I'm just point out how full of bullshit he is on this topic."

But I guess everyone else knows this, and yet I kept on...
  • I feel like Scott would be awesome as a politician, because it feels like everyone fears and immediately feels shame for trying to debate with him. XD
  • No, we just know it's pointless to argue because we care less and will capitulate faster.
  • Dear Scott

Think from other peoples' perspectives for once; it is very easy to do. Are you the most important thing in your life? So much so that nobody else's situation has any bearing on any single discussion, disagreement, etc?
  • Dear Scott

Think from other peoples' perspectives for once; it is very easy to do. Are you the most important thing in your life? So much so that nobody else's situation has any bearing on any single discussion, disagreement, etc?
    That would explain why he doesn't have a girlfriend.
  • Thatwouldexplain why he doesn't have a girlfriend.
    He says their cost is too much to balance their inherent DRM.
  • edited July 2010
    Dear Scott

Seriously? If I were Scott, I would say, "Yes." Has any other discussion on the forum shown anything different?

While I don't agree with Scott, he sticks to what he says. Why do you keep trying to goad Scott or Rym?
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Why do you keep trying to goad Scott or Rym?
    I don't goad them so much, but if they make a bullshit argument, that's when I jump on them, even when I agree with the conclusion.
    While I don't agree with Scott, he sticks to what he says.
    True, but the problem comes in when what he's saying and sticking to is bullshit. As a side note, I stick to what I say, too - I haven't forgotten I still owe him a copy of Reach for the 360.
  • Oh, now seems a good time to remind Viga to make another episode of Otagirl!
  • True, but the problem comes in when what he's saying and sticking to is bullshit. As a side note, I stick to what I say, too - I haven't forgotten I still owe him a copy of Reach for the 360.
    Do you still want some NS2, so you can play a man's game?
  • edited July 2010
    Do you still want some NS2, so you can play a man's game?
    Hey, if you can't adapt, That's not my problem, so I don't see why you're still crying me a river, scrub. As for NS2, Thanks for the offer, but I don't have the cash for a decent PC yet, so no, keep it, no worries. I'll let you know when I have the cash to grab reach off Amazon, so you can pass over where you want it sent - if nothing else, the firefight mode is damn fun, if you're up to it, I'll run down a few rounds with you. After that, if I've got a good rig going, We'll see about some NS2, but I'm gonna suck to begin with, Not played NS or NS2 ever, so I'm the pissant scrub in that arena.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Hey, if you can't adapt, That's not my problem, so I don't see why you're still crying me a river, scrub. As for NS2, Thanks for the offer, but I don't have the cash for a decent PC yet, so no, keep it, no worries. I'll let you know when I have the cash to grab reach off Amazon, so you can pass over where you want it sent - if nothing else, the firefight mode is damn fun, if you're up to it, I'll run down a few rounds with you. After that, if I've got a good rig going, We'll see about some NS2, but I'm gonna suck to begin with, Not played NS or NS2 ever, so I'm the pissant scrub in that arena.
    Luckily for you, NS2 is supposed to have some pretty low minimum system requirements. You'll have to turn the settings down low, but it should still work.
  • edited July 2010
    That remains to be seen in the final version. I'm running an 8800GS with a 2x 3GHz and the alpha seems to lag pretty badly even on the low settings (Mostly on entering open areas). They'll probably improve it a lot though, so I'm not too worried.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited July 2010
    Luckily for you, NS2 is supposed to have some pretty low minimum system requirements. You'll have to turn the settings down low, but it should still work.
    I know, I heard about that at first, and investigated, but I'm dead serious - My current computer won't run NS2. This thing was mid-range at best in 2006, it's a no-hoper now. My best hope is to upgrade my old desktop, but I'm needing a new damn near everything, so I'm tossing up to upgrade, or save longer and just get essentially an all new setup.

Seriously, this thing struggles with HL1 at times, and flat out will not run HL2.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Seriously, this thing struggles with HL1 at times, and flat out will not run HL2.
    Whoah, that is really slow.

How about instead, I get you a computer? I mean, for $60, it won't be awesome, but I bet I can get you something than can play HL1 no problem, and maybe even HL2 on low settings.
  • Whoah, that is really slow.
    Guess Churba is not a computer hardware geek :-p
  • edited July 2010
    Whoah, that is really slow.
    Guess Churba is not a computer hardware geek :-p
    Clearly. You can put together a better computer in your basement, especially with that video card I gave you. It can play HL2 for sure.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I don't goad them so much, but if they make a bullshit argument, that's when I jump on them, even when I agree with the conclusion.
    I wasn't saying it to you. I like your discussions with Scott. They have been very engaging/entertaining.
  • edited July 2010
    Clearly. You can put together a better computer in your basement, especially with that video card I gave you. It can play HL2 for sure.
    Yea, you kidding me I can make probably at least 5 working computers in my basement not to mention my secondary computer in my main area, the computer in the guest room and one on the TV in the basement (and Laura and my main computers) all can play Half Life 2..... If Churba wasn't so far away and the shipping stupid I could give him a better computer for free :-p
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • @Cremlian.

HL1 Deathmatch LAN Party!
  • @Cremlian.

HL1 Deathmatch LAN Party!
    No No! Action Quake II party :-p
  • No No! Action Quake II party :-p
    Make it so, and I will come. I'll bring my mouse.

Hell, AQ2 will play on my LAPTOP.
  • edited July 2010
    How about instead, I get you a computer? I mean, for $60, it won't be awesome, but I bet I can get you something than can play HL1 no problem, and maybe even HL2 on low settings.
    Shipping will push it past $60, for a start. I was pretty poor when I bought this thing, and it was the best I could afford at the time. Gimmie a break, here, I've just moved between continents and hemispheres, Let me actually get somewhere to live that doesn't include the words "Crashing on someone's futon" before I start bothering with computers.
    Churba is a poor man again, and his computer has been adequate for what he does with it for a long time. When he had more money, he was saving that for living in England, which sucked down more money than you probably make in a year, per year, for both years he was there, and that didn't concern him terribly, because he enjoyed it. Churba is now a broke man, but he's workin' on it. Churba is sick of speaking in third person, so I'll stop it.

I got bigger fucking problems right now than if my computer can play NS2 or HL1, I'm a little more concerned actually feeding myself week to week, and managing a roof over me.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I tried to get a free book from audible at audible.com/twit but it kept asking for credit card info. Is there a way to get it without giving them your credit card info that I'm missing?
  • I tried to get a free book from audible at audible.com/twit but it kept asking for credit card info. Is there a way to get it without giving them your credit card info that I'm missing?
    As far as I know, you have to give it to them.
    Don't think so. I did that to get a free book, but they never charged me as long as I cancelled my subscription before the trial date was up.
  • Hit a point last week where I had listened to all the new episodes in my subscription list, so I went through this thread looking for a few new podcasts to try out.

First off, I don't know how, but in the post I originally made in this thread I mixed up the Game On podcast with Jesse, Jordan, Go. I tried listening to that one, as well as the Geeks On podcast and my god I couldn't get through a full episode of either.

It seems like both Jesse, Jordan, Go, and Geeks On pitch themselves as "general interest" geek podcasts, which means they don't know enough about any specific topic to make it worth listening. Also, everyone on the podcast seems to have some minor job out in LA, such as one of the pocast hosts having a job for Fuel TV covering action sports, or some of the other hosts having very minor crew roles on some films. This gives them access to celebrities and high-appeal projects, which they name drop incessantly.

They seem to have very little knowledge past movies & TV, which they are condescending when they speak about. For instance, they bring up Grindhouse at one point after gushing about how awesome Machete looks. They shit all over Grindhouse and give no real explanation. Seems like they just want to be cool by acting as though they are too good for something.

A few times during the shows I wanted to gag, like when one host said he wishes he could play video games again because he kind of misses them, but that he promised his girlfriend he wouldn't bring a console into the house. She had a bad experience with a past boyfriend who was in an 8-bit cover band, and "looks like a kicked puppy" when he brings up video games. Dump this woman.
  • Clarification -
    They seem to have very little knowledge past movies & TV, which they are condescending when they speak about. For instance, they bring up Grindhouse at one point after gushing about how awesome Machete looks. They shit all over Grindhouse and give no real explanation. Seems like they just want to be cool by acting as though they are too good for something.
    This is Geeks on.
    A few times during the shows I wanted to gag, like when one host said he wishes he could play video games again because he kind of misses them, but that he promised his girlfriend he wouldn't bring a console into the house. She had a bad experience with a past boyfriend who was in an 8-bit cover band, and "looks like a kicked puppy" when he brings up video games. Dump this woman.
    This is Jessie, Jordan, Go.

Now, While I think that "Also, everyone on the podcast seems to have some minor job out in LA" is a bit of a low blow - I mean, seriously, you're talking about one of the most competitive showbiz cities in the country, and a lot of the stuff they've done is hardly minor - They're doing better than a hell of a lot of people competing in the same industry. I should note, I'm mainly speaking for the Geeks On Guys, here - I don't listen to the other podcast.
    On top of that - Most people who are geek stars are relatively minor. Leo Laporte is probably the most famous of the regular geeky stars, and he's not really that famous. I mean, shit, look at Chris Hardwick, From The Nerdist Podcast, he does the same damn thing, just with a smaller group, and he gets guests more often.

However - Nobody said these were universal appeal, each to their own, yeah? If you don't like it, fair enough.
  • Yeah I admit I completely blended the two in my mind because I had such similar thoughts about them. In the end I agree they are good for some people just not me.

In any case, after using this thread as a personal bitch-fest, I'm happy to report that the other three podcasts I tried out on recommendations from this thread were all awesome. Fast Karate, Major Spoilers, and Idle Thumbs.

Unfortunatley it looks like Idle Thumbs is going away now that one of their cast members has accepted a job on the opposite side of the country (guess they don't want to Skype? I respect their reasons regardless, it's a lot of work).