This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights and/or Front Row Crew Newsletter

edited July 2010 in GeekNights
Our fellow podcasters over at Comic Geek Speak have started an e-mail newsletter. Normally I'm not a fan of that sort of thing, but it actually seems pretty good. They basically compile all of their meta-stuff into a standard format e-mail, and ship it out once a week. Obviously, if we did this it would also be integrated into the web site.

Would you subscribe to a weekly e-mail with all the meta stuffs and/or would you visit a web page on frontrowcrew.com that contained this same newsletter?

Comments

• Show me the content and I'll tell you whether I need it.
  • No. I already have the forums. I think maybe this is a thing best targeted at people who do not read the forums.
  • Show me the content and I'll tell you whether I need it.
    Ok, I will make a sample.
  • Depends. If the content of the newsletter will still be in the "Meta Minute", then no. If it will replace the meta minute, or provide more information, then yes.
  • If it included something like TechParadox's detailed shownotes, it could be worthwhile to subscribe to so I know which episodes to download.
  • If we do it, the meta minute will still exist, but will be much shorter. All we will say in the meta minute is

book club is X
    the next convention we will attend is on X date
    for more info subscribe to the newsletter
  • I rather hear it in the Meta Minute.
  • Show notes in the show link is all I need. Less e-mail is better for me.
  • Why not use a shared calendar and/or RSS feed for that? A RSS feed could also mean that the latest news part of the site isn't outdated so often.
  • It might be interesting if there was some supplemental material included in the newsletter. Maybe have corrections or other comments in it.
  • A newsletter would be nice for your more casual listeners. I only listen to the podcasts that are on a topic I'm interested in, so there may be things in the meta minute or even things of the day that I'm missing out on. I think the forum isn't the demographic for people who would want a newsletter as by simply being here they are well informed on all your to dos :)
  • GeoGeo
    edited July 2010
    I'm a major listener, yet I would subscribe to this anyway because I'm dangerously absentminded and often forget many things they say (like what Scott listed above) and have to either scour the forums or go through the episode to find it. Having a hard copy of this info in a stylish and condensed format is very nice and I wholeheartedly support it.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Put it in frontrowcrew.com/news.

Make an RSS feed.
  • edited July 2010
    Put it in frontrowcrew.com/news.

Make an RSS feed.
    Front Row Crew blog,
    1.make new RSS feed
    2.make other people from the Front Row Crew write entries.
    3.?????
    4.PROFIT
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • GeoGeo
    edited July 2010
    Put it in frontrowcrew.com/news.

Make an RSS feed.
    4.PROFIT
    There is only one way they can actually make a guranteed profit in any aspect of Geeknights...and that is to finish this damned store. Seriously guys, just get someone to do it for you and give them your specifications. Simple, no?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Put it in frontrowcrew.com/news.

Make an RSS feed.
    Front Row Crew blog,
    1.make new RSS feed
    2.make other people from the Front Row Crew write entries.
    3.?????
    4.PROFIT
  • here is only one way they can actually make a guranteed profit in any aspect of Geeknights...and that is to finish this damned store.
    No, we have several other possible revenue streams. But none of them, even a store, could generate enough money for me to continue to live the lifestyle I currently enjoy. Nothing competes with the financial sector.
    Seriously guys, just get someone to do it for you and give them your specifications. Simple, no?
    Simple, no. You're forgetting incorporation, accounting, tax liability, maintenance, and a few other more esoteric concerns. It's only simple if we do it shoddily AND we ignore all of the legal burden we'll have assumed. Most people selling stuff online are doing it illegally, and could get into serious trouble if things went wrong. Unless there is a listener who is also an accountant, who is willing to work for us gratis, it's not so easy to do it correctly and legally. Nevermind the fact that without also acquiring a lawyer and incorporating properly, the tax liability would be substantial (income added in at my already high tax bracket).

I personally have no interest in accounting or business management, so it would be a burden (I already have two jobs). Scott certainly doesn't want to do it. No one in the crew wants to do it. So, we'd have to hire an accountant. This would eat our profits before they even hit my tax bracket issue.
    .make other people from the Front Row Crew write entries.
    That's not likely to happen.
  • ...incorporation, accounting, tax liability, maintenance, and a few other more esoteric concerns...
    Out of curiosity, are we talking full incorporation or an LLC here?
  • I am by NO means an expert on ANY of this stuff regarding starting a business. But is it possible you could still have a net benefit by writing off the portion of your rent/bills that goes towards the home studio, as well as other expenses such as con travel? I know this is a big red flag for audits but if you'd already be paying an accountant, they should be able to help you do this 100% legit.
  • edited July 2010
    incorporation
    Why don't you just file a DBA, act as sole proprietor, and incorporate later? Sole proprietorship at least provide a way to get started.

EDIT: You could also do a general partnership.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Another thought, while I was attending a panel on successful blogs during Internet Week NY, every panelist went down the line when asked about email newsletters and said they were shocked at how many people use them, and how they drove up traffic. I don't personally sign up for email digests of sites, I use RSS, but apparently there is a large contingent of people who do. If you made your meta email compelling to people who want to know about upcoming events, it could get it's own fan base and become another avenue for people to discover the podcast.
  • Scott certainly doesn't want to do it. No one in the crew wants to do it.
    You could ask Laura, she might be interested in at least helping... (she's occasionally mentioned her interest in becoming a CPA)
    edited July 2010
    No and no.
    There is only one way they can actually make a gu[a]ranteed profit in any aspect of Geeknights
    Profit can also mean non-monetary gains you know. It's what make that meme great, it's always true.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Why don't you just file a DBA, act as sole proprietor, and incorporate later? Sole proprietorship at least provide a way to get started.
    Even that is a lot of work compared to nothing. I have much more important projects in the works.
  • Even that is a lot of work compared to nothing.
    Well, OK, sure, but "nothing" doesn't get you paid. :P

In terms of starting a business, filing a DBA and filling out an extra tax form is almost nothing, and the accounting you'd have to do isn't that hard. But, if you're already gearing up to start an LLC, it's probably unnecessary.
  • Well, OK, sure, but "nothing" doesn't get you paid. :P
    I get paid more in a day of my day job than I expect a merch store for GeekNights would make in net profit in a month...
  • edited July 2010
    Well, OK, sure, but "nothing" doesn't get you paid. :P
    I get paid more in a day of my day job than I expect a merch store for GeekNights would make in net profit in a month...
    But we would love you.
    Post edited by ElJoe0 on
  • Well, the store would be more to help give you a presence beyond your own reach. T-shirts are free advertising, after all.

I'm curious about these projects of yours.
  • Another vote for RSS feed.
  • We already have an RSS feed for the news on frontrowcrew.com