This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PC Console Crossover

edited July 2010 in Video Games
Moving discussion from the TOTD thread. Stand by.

Comments

• I think the left analog stick is superior to WASD (in terms of precision movement,) but the mouse is a far superior to the right stick. I would love a console controller that somehow combined the two. The only loss though is easy access to all the keys on the keyboard, so it wouldn't be useful for a game where you needed a number of inputs.
  • edited July 2010
    I think the left analog stick is superior to WASD
    In what contexts? You would certainly do better in platformers but you'd be buggered for starcraft.
    When it comes to FPS movement, due to the fact that FPSs were designed for the PC for so many years, your CSs and such are built around that sudden unrealistic change of direction. The console FPS is a very different animal to the PC FPS, though some can find a middle enough ground to be converted from one to the other.

My main problem with what Microsoft did was that they tried to cross-platform a kind of game that is a very different experience on each platform. If they'd started with something like Borderlands or an RPG and let it grow from there, we could have had something great. Now it looks like they've abandoned it.

Also, they could have brought console games to the PC using the XB3 joypad; Racing games would be the ideal candidate for this.

It's at times like this I wish the lapboard wasn't associated with the Phantom. If that had been the big peripheral to come with the XB3 we'd be in a very different place right now.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I think that there is a precision and subtlety of movement that the analog stick allows that you don't get with WASD. When playing a console FPS game, especially when scoped, I would find myself moving with the left stick to assist with aiming (in conjunction with aiming with the right stick.) You can still have unrealistic change in direction with the stick, but you can also move as slow or fast as you want without the need of a walk or run button.

Granted most of what I'm saying is theoretical since I really haven't had a chance to try the left stick/mouse combo in a game yet.
  • edited July 2010
    Really, in a single, very specific case, there is an exception to the rule? Wouldn't have expected that.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Alien Swarm would be greatly improved by the stick mouse setup. It is like perfect for it. I am so going to get my old 15 pin joystick out to do just this.
  • Alien Swarm would be greatly improved by the stick mouse setup. It is like perfect for it. I am so going to get my old 15 pin joystick out to do just this.
    You still have a port for that?
    You can actually play Alien Swarm with a 360 controller. There is a console command that enables it. I've only tried it in offline mode, and seems to work pretty well. The only thing is that any action that required crosshair placement is more difficult. For instance the ice grenades land where your crosshair is, but with the controller the crosshair is always the same distance from you so its harder to aim such things to hit closer or farther away enemies.
    You still have a port for that?
    15 pin to USB cable!
  • 15 pin to USB cable!
    Oh shit! I didn't even know those existed. I might have to get one of those and pull my old racing wheel out.
  • 15 pin to USB cable!
    Oh shit! I didn't even know those existed. I might have to get one of those and pull my old racing wheel out.
    I wonder if I still have my 15pin joystick. That thing was awesome. Throttle control slider, 8 buttons, POV hat; perfect for a game of Mechwarriors 3.
  • edited July 2010
    With no objections, I hereby declare, as by my previous post, since I heard it from a friend of a friend, that I've got a ludicrously titanic wang. I'm tempted to paint it black and start calling it a monolith. Maybe sell tickets.

Since, you know, nobody is addressing that we're getting this "Microsoft said Blah" thing from a ridiculously unreliable source, figured I'd just put in my two cents.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited July 2010
    15 pin to USB cable!
    I wonder if I still have my 15pin joystick. That thing was awesome. Throttle control slider, 8 buttons, POV hat; perfect for a game of Mechwarriors 3.
    Mine even has a button that is covered by a red flip switch, just to let you know it is serious bweesness. I felt so badass whenever I fired missiles.

Post edited by ElJoe0 on
  • Mine even has a button that is covered by a red flip switch, just to let you know it is serious bweesness. I felt so badass whenever I fired missiles.
    Oh mans, I used to have one of those as the switch to engage and disengage the clutch on my Mini's supercharger.
  • edited July 2010
    Have you guys seen this? Has sony blocked this on some firmware update yet?

keyboard and mouse on ps3
    Maybe this is the solution for me not to suck on console fps's. Not that I'm good on pc fps's but this would be so unfair that it would make me good at console fps's.
    Post edited by sucrilhos on
  • Maybe this is the solution for me not to suck on console fps's. Not that I'm good on pc fps's but this would be so unfair that it would make me good at console fps's.
    See, you're making a small mistake here, in not accounting for the game itself. Have you considered maybe the console version of a game has been tailored to work better with a controller, and thus, with a keyboard and mouse, you'll suck even more?
  • Maybe this is the solution for me not to suck on console fps's. Not that I'm good on pc fps's but this would be so unfair that it would make me good at console fps's.
    See, you're making a small mistake here, in not accounting for the game itself. Have you considered maybe the console version of a game has been tailored to work better with a controller, and thus, with a keyboard and mouse, you'll suck even more?
    I'm not trying to take part in the main topic here, I just posted here because it's relative to this issue. I looked a bit after your post and couldn't find any cons apart from the price. But if this catches up you guy's problem is fixed, console games will be exactly like pc games after proper adjustments by software developers for the controlling setup.
    IIRC, a similar solution was released for the 360. Halo players started to be banned for the unfathomable accuracy of sniper shots.
  • IIRC, a similar solution was released for the 360. Halo players started to be banned for the unfathomable accuracy of sniper shots.
    I find that hard to believe, since I've seen some pretty unfathomable shots with the controller - I'm talking perfect headshot, from across the map, on a driver of a warthog moving at full speed diagonal to the shooter, and people on the side of flying vehicles dropping perfect headshots on players riding on Brute choppers at full speed. How would they differentiate between that sort of stuff on a controller, and someone with a K&M; combo?
    I'm not trying to take part in the main topic here, I just posted here because it's relative to this issue. I looked a bit after your post and couldn't find any cons apart from the price. But if this catches up you guy's problem is fixed, console games will be exactly like pc games after proper adjustments by software developers for the controlling setup.
    It's possible, I'd practically expect it as an option as consoles become less game playing machines, and more home entertainment systems with an internet connection.
  • How would they differentiate between that sort of stuff on a controller, and someone with a K&M; combo?
    Doing that after spinning 90 degrees in a split second might tip somebody off.
  • edited July 2010
    Doing that after spinning 90 degrees in a split second might tip somebody off.
    Except for the part that it's not possible, since the console port of the game is hard-coded to use a controller - I played some on the Xbox and the 360 with a keyboard and mouse, and it was pretty much exactly the same. So, I just adapt, and don't whinge. If you ain't good enough to adapt, just don't play, don't sit around bitching. Put your cards on the table, or get out of the game, It's not my problem if you can't keep up.

Also - all of the K&M; to Xbox solutions I've seen also include things like Turbo switches for all the buttons, along with things like Programmable macros. Y'know, it's probably part of why they frown on the whole deal - they have a history of banning people who cheat, so why would they make it easy for you to cheat with a device?
    Post edited by Churba on
  • If you ain't good enough to adapt, just don't play, don't sit around bitching. Put your cards on the table, or get out of the game, It's not my problem if you can't keep up.
    That's a general "you" right? I've hardly said a thing.
  • That's a general "you" right? I've hardly said a thing.
    Very general, I'd address you by name were I speaking to you specifically, to avoid confusion.
  • Are people that buy sticks to play Street Fighter online cheating?
    I confess I have never used KnM on a console, but it might be that you are able to control higher sensibilities with the mouse.
    I adapt to anything, but if there are people kicking my butt because they are using a better controlling solution I wanna do that too. It's like the steroids principal, if everybody in the Olympics is taking them, if you take it is not cheating, it's just levelling the ground.
  • Are people that buy sticks to play Street Fighter online cheating?
    If they use a device that has turbo button options and programmable macros, it most certainly is. How is it not cheating if you can press one button to Hadouken with a macro, and do it really, really fast over and over, when the other guy has to do the full sequence?
    I confess I have never used KnM on a console, but it might be that you are able to control higher sensibilities with the mouse.
    The Original xbox was better for that, since a lot of the shooters on that were PC ports.
    I adapt to anything, but if there are people kicking my butt because they are using a better controlling solution I wanna do that too. It's like the steroids principal, if everybody in the Olympics is taking them, if you take it is not cheating, it's just levelling the ground.
    I don't subscribe to that theory, just because the other guys are cheating, doesn't mean I'm going to cheat too. If you're on the PC, fair go, use a keyboard and mouse. If they're whuping you with a controller on the console, fair play, use a controller. If you want to try and go cross-platform with your solutions, you're heading into murky waters.