This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Northeastern US Sprout Recall

2»

Comments

• edited February 2012
    I once worked in a grocery store in the produce department when there was a spinach recall. An old man showed up in our department and was irate that we wouldn't sell him spinach. We told him we couldn't. I later found out that he had actually been to all the other local grocery stores and pulled the same fit. That man NEEDED his fresh spinach.

I also once had a biological sciences guy come in trying to buy "bad" fruit for some reason. We also couldn't sell him anything that was pulled off the shelves (store policy)... but I had worked in the department long enough to know that you can always find something that's on its way out somewhere on the floor and "helped" him out. Picked up a few apples, bananas, a few random veggies, and a few avocados fairly quickly.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • I know the answer, but I'll ask my question anyway.

Why can't I have irradiated vegetables?
    Because woo-woo exists.
    And doesn't it change the flavor?
    Irradiated produce doesn't taste substantially different than non-irradiated produce. Irradiated milk tastes like the worst thing you've ever put in your mouth.

• Hmmm
    I know the answer, but I'll ask my question anyway.

Why can't I have irradiated vegetables?
    The gov'ment don't want no Hulks runnin bout. Rampagin and shit.

• Sprouts no mas!? Last I checked this was America!. Congratulations JJ you just let the terrorists win. JJ your nothing without your sprouts, your sandwich is simply another over priced slab of deli meat on a bun served up with the typical lettuce, tomatoe, onion, and cheese (ok so the wheat bread is still AMAZING). I can make this same bit myself and will be doing more and more at Subway. You have regressed to the mean and I am sorry to say I was around to see this demise. I’ve never been a betting man but I’d wager to think we have seen the best of JJ and it will be a steady plummet to bowels of the cold cut world. I am sorry that you have caved to the pressures of a small few in our society and have chosen to alienate those who have supported you throughout this Economic slowdown. I go to Subway because it is cheap and it’s close. I go to JJ for the sprouts. It’s more money and it’s out of my way but JJ had sprouts. SPROUTS!!!. WILSON!!!! (and yes that was a Castaway reference).
    I'm honestly surprised that there's a person out there who both knows about "regression to the mean" and also spells vegetable names like Dan Quayle.
  • Sometimes, I support the idea of taking a few warning labels off of everything and just letting the results sort things out.

Just for a few minutes, though. Then I realize that people would be bitching about the fact that there's no warning label telling them not to microwave something with no way for the steam to escape and blowing them up and giving them 3rd degree scalding burns.