This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20100802 - Automatic Killing Machines

edited August 2010 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights we discuss drones, robots, and other automated human killers, considering what they may mean for the future of warfare and humanity. We also speak at length on habits of consuming the Internet. In the news, MintyBoost uncovers the secrets of Apple device charging.

Download MP3

Comments

• edited August 2010
    30:27 Get Scott's mic or cable problems sorted already.
    Edit: 31:36 too
    Edit 2: image
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • I wear briefs. I need support. Fuck boxers.
  • I wear briefs. I need support. Fuck boxers.
    Indeed, fuck the boxer agenda!
  • edited August 2010
    I'm in the Boxers realm when I'm at my day job - gotta give the boys a chance to breathe. Weekends and Fridays I go with the boxer-briefs - plenty of support, no chance of getting a self-wedgie while moving around.

Also, expanded notes will probably be up after the weekend. I'm taking tomorrow and Friday off and going to a ren faire for some much-needed R&R and general renaissance geekery.

EDIT: Expanded Notes:

Geeknights 201000802 - Automated Killing Machines

Expanded Show Notes - Show Run Time: 00:58:26

Time | Notes
    ---------+----------------------------------------------------------
    00:00:00 | Intro
    00:00:26 | Opening Chit-Chat & News
    | - OMG a Monday show
    | - Rym comments on Scott's penis??
    | - Monday show really recorded on a Tuesday
    | - Lack of Monday shows is usually due to con season
    | - Rym will be out for the Writer's Retreat next week
    | - Monday shows got shot down by various other reasons
    | - PC Gaming renaissance
    | - Starcraft II burning out video cards?
    | - Video card discussion
    | - Reminiscing on building computers
    | - Yo Momma jokes
    | - Advice on building computers: Spend money, or spend time researching
    | - So where were you on Monday?
    | - Discussion on reading the Internet
    | - Do we really need to know what's going on this very second?
    | - Discussion of various news aggregators on the web
    00:18:46 | - Briefs versus Boxers versus other options
    | - MintyBoost and Apple device charging secrets
    | - All devices should have the same method of charging
    00:22:58 | Things of the Day
    | Rym - Ghosts of World War II
    | - "jiff" versus "giff", Linux versus GNU/Linux
    | - Math classes versus Science classes - theorysayswhat?
    | Scott - Pythagoras Gif
    | - Teaching the same thing three times by three means
    | - Mathematical proofs shown visually = coolness
    00:28:52 | Meta Moment
    | - Book Club - The Golden Apples of the Sun by Ray Bradbury
    | - Many people haven't read a lot of hard sci-fi
    | - Aug 5 - Rym will be @ Scott Pilgrim screening
    | - Aug 7 - Mozilla Drumbeat
    | - Aug 13 - NerdNYC Boardgame Night
    | - Sep 3-5 - Labor day weekend - PAX Prime
    | - Sep 10-11 - NerdNYC Recess
    | - Sep 25-26 - Maker Faire in NYC
    | - Oct 8-10 - New York Anime Festival/New York Comic Con
    | - Oct 8-10 - Burning Wheel 10-10-10 weekend
    | - Oct 8-10 - NerdNYC Boardgame
    00:32:57 | Main Topic - Killbots
    | - Using automated killing machines
    | - Manual control versus self-controlled
    | - Automated systems exist but are not used
    | - Area denial systems - automated to detect gunshots and respond
    | - Deploying systems to deny areas to all hostiles
    | - Working around automated systems
    | - Rym glosses over danger to civilians in a war zone
    | - Land mines & leftovers
    | - Automation of strategy and execution
    | - Drones & humans making the Kill/No Kill call versus self-automated
    | - Even if human is making the decision, it disassociates the human from the decision
    | - Geneva convention violations
    | - What if the controller doesn't know that they're violating the Geneva convention?
    | - Remote control eliminates battlefield mistakes due to adrenaline rush, etc
    | - What happens when we take the human control out of the equation?
    | - Programming the computer to follow the rules of engagement
    | - If the robots make fewer mistakes than the humans, shouldn't we use the robots instead?
    | - Discussion of how people blow issues out of proportion due to media bias and irrational fears
    | - Should we be concerned with the thought of moving towards a military where there is no danger to humans on our side?
    | - Discussion of surrogate robots used as warfare devices
    | - Would wars be an issue if they just cost us money and time?
    | - If there was no danger of kids not coming home from the war, would war be waged eternally?
    | - Would peacekeeping tasks be able to be conducted more efficiently if there was a surrogate army?
    | - Asymmetry of modern warfare
    | - Nuclear weapons & cold war game theory - "paper, rock, fuck-you"
    | - Best-case & worst-case scenarios for armaments of mass destruction
    | - The Mouse that Roared
    | - Rym would maintain top-secret research on weaponry - small actual capacity, large perceived capacity
    | - Robots versus robots - flushing money down the toilet?
    | - Discussion on war between modern industrialized societies
    | - "I defeated your army in order to get X"
    | - Weaponized Vuvuzela-bots
    | - Shows next week are up in the air due to Con season
    | - Colossus roar!
    00:57:27 | Outro
    Post edited by Techparadox on
  • I don't need boxers to let my boys breathe. Want to know why? They're fucking manly. They can hold their breath as long as they goddamn want to. In fact, they're not boys: They're fucking men. Men don't swing gaily between thighs. Men don't raise a stink when they get a little warm, or if they get short of air. They suck it up. My men suck it up.
    I'll admit, my men get pissed off when, while running, they get smacked around for no reason, but you'd get annoyed too if the guy next to you kept smacking you around whenever you tried to sprint or run, like after a gazelle that you want to take down with your man-teeth. They do not want to have a hundred and eighty pounds of dude sitting on them either. If I wear boxers and sat on 'em, they'd punch me in the goddamned face if they could. They can't, so just cause me crippling pain instead.
    The men need only the slightest bit of support. Like a seatbelt, only more manly. Boxer briefs are superior to anything else.
  • Urgh.. everyone's getting their knickers in a twist.
  • Let it be known that Rym is the boxer nazi. I sayeth, how can one man know the boys of another better than said other? He can not. Therefore each man shall decide himself how best to manage his junk. As each shlong is unique, no method shall be out of the question.
  • 30:27 Get Scott's mic or cable problems sorted already.
    Yes god damn it. Aren't you guys podcasting geeks?
  • Yes god damn it. Aren't you guys podcasting geeks?
    We noticed it while we were recording, but we can't figure out what the fuck is wrong, or which piece of equipment is broken.
  • We noticed it while we were recording, but we can't figure out what the fuck is wrong, or which piece of equipment is broken.
    I've already ordered a new interface (Firewire). I still haven't had time to conduct a full signals test, but I'll have to do it anyway as I integrate the new Firewire device into the system.
  • It has nothing to do with the firewire. It is a broken cable or input on the mixer. If it's still broken with a new mic cable, it's probably something in the mixer.
  • edited August 2010
    I think the obvious final implication of all of this is G Gundam. We build one giant killing robot per country, and each country's giant robots fight each other to determine conflicts.

Also, even with automated killing machines, there will still be incentive for enemy operatives to destroy those building/creating/piloting these automated killing machines, and so human lives will still be in danger.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • Interesting thought I just had.

Right now it's the FPS gamers that the military wants. If we have robot armies, it's the Starcraft players that the military will want. South Korea will conquer all.
  • South Korea will conquer all.
    WIth Wiggins-chan to lead them.
  • "We also speak at length on habits of consuming the Internet."

Saw this and figured you might find it interesting: http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/online_mobile/what-americans-do-online-social-media-and-games-dominate-activity/
  • They do not want to have a hundred and eighty pounds of dude sitting on them either.
    Sure, maybe if they're weak and fleshy. Me, I've got balls of steel. They're not bothered by trifles like sitting or getting kicked or taking a bullet.

Besides, boxers are all about ass comfort. I don't like something hugging my ass tightly. Give that thing some room.
  • Briefs are really OK in the end. Tighty-whities, however, make one look like an eight year old.
  • Briefs are really OK in the end. Tighty-whities, however, make one look like an eight year old.
    Uh, briefs are tighty whities. Also, who is seeing them? The rest of us wear pants.
  • Uh, briefs are tighty whities. Also, who is seeing them? The rest of us wear pants.
    I get brief's that are not white so they can not be called Tighty Whities and well Scott I don't know about you but I walk around my house when no one is around pretty much in Underwear ESPECIALLY in the summer.
  • I get brief's that are not white so they can not be called Tighty Whities and well Scott I don't know about you but I walk around my house when no one is around pretty much in Underwear ESPECIALLY in the summer.
    You wear underwear at all?
  • I get brief's that are not white so they can not be called Tighty Whities
    Well aren't we the politically correct one? "Clearly I cannot be a racist. I have a multitude of differently colored briefs. My opponent only wears tighty-whities. Coincidence? I think not."

You should totally whip that out during a debate the next time you run for office.
  • I wear boxer briefs.
  • I used to wear Briefs, but then I tried boxers, and I discovered they were vastly superior.
  • I don't understand why having your junk bouncing around from one pant leg to the other would be vastly superior or even comfortable. Maybe I'm just too well endowed to be comfortable in boxers. *shrugs*
  • Briefs are the way to go. They are just crazy comfortable compared to boxers, and wearing boxers makes no sense. It's like wearing 2 pants at once, and no underwear at all. If you want that, just don't wear underwear. Boxer briefs are like briefs, but they feel more constricting, so that's not good.
  • edited August 2010
    You should totally whip that out during a debate the next time you run for office.
    I whipped it out during a debate once and they kicked me out of the auditorium. But then again the fact that I was drunk and pissing on the opponent's notes might have had something to do with it too. ;D
    I don't understand why having your junk bouncing around from one pant leg to the other would be vastly superior or even comfortable.
    Once again we come to the point of "the right tool for the right job". If you're in a position where you're going to be moving around all day or be very active, then boxers are not the way to go. Boxer-briefs or briefs are key for this because of the amount of support they give when it comes to holding everything in place. I personally prefer boxer-briefs when I'm doing active stuff because they prevent activity-induced wedgies. If you're working a desk job or are in a position where you're not moving around very much, boxers work fine. You sit down, you set the position of your junk, and you go about your business. Boxers are also key for testicular health. When you're wearing briefs or boxer-briefs, everything is held in tight. The testes are positioned where they are so help keep them cool; long exposure to high amounts of heat (such as the 98.6 degrees your body pumps out) will cause your sperm count to drop like a rock. Back when my ex and I were considering having kids the fertility expert pointedly asked me what kind of underwear I used, for just that reason. I'd tell more of that tale, but it falls under the "TMI" category. Suffice it to say my boys were fine so the lack of child processes being spawned was not my fault.

"Cool Story, Bro" Time:
    One time my girlfriend asked me why guys keep shifting their junk around. My reply was, "We have to adjust it. Those things don't come factory-set!"
    Post edited by Techparadox on
  • Female input:

Boxer briefs are way sexier than boxers. :)
  • Female input:

Boxer briefs are way sexier than boxers. :)
    QFT. Jeremy will still only wear boxers, even though I bought him some boxer briefs. :(
  • edited August 2010
    It's like wearing 2 pants at once, and no underwear at all. If you want that, just don't wear underwear
    Why don't you go ahead and wear jeans without underwear for an entire day. Come back and tell us how you like it.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited August 2010
    Why don't you go ahead and wear jeans without underwear for an entire day. Come back and tell us how you like it.
    Having spent an evening out like that, I can say he has an excellent point.
    Post edited by George Patches on