This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

MAGFEST IX 2011

Comments

• We chose the Best Coast for a reason. ^_~
    I like to think it's because you guys didn't branch out. =P It's not like I can't game on the west coast, I just really enjoy hanging out with FRC and I want to meet and hang out with more FRCF people. If I wasn't going to Vegas for New Year's I'd probably be able to go to Magfest.
  • If I wasn't going to Vegas for New Year's I'd probably be able to go to Magfest.
    I'm telling you. Vegas needs a geek con.
  • I like to think it's because you guys didn't branch out. =
    Not because our conventions are bigger and badder? ^_~

PAX East will be double the size of PAX Prime in short order. Otakon, if they counted PAX-style, had some 90,000 attendees (30,000 bodies).
  • Not because our conventions are bigger and badder? ^_~
    As for PAX East vs PAX Prime, that's probably a safe assumption, however west is still the best, imo. ^_~

As for Otakon, I would probably only go if I were to able hang out with awesome people I know or Yoko Kanno was there.

The only other east coast con I would go to is Connecticon because I know it's awesome and awesome people are there.
  • As for Magfest, you east coast people suck.
    We chose the Best Coast for a reason.^_~
    Like I said before, East is beast and West is a jest :P
  • If I wasn't going to Vegas for New Year's I'd probably be able to go to Magfest.
    Seriously. Why haven't they done this yet, money is not a conceivable problem there?
  • edited August 2010
    As for Magfest, you east coast people suck.
    Come again?
    There are geek cons in Vegas, like Star Trek Conventions, or tech conventions. We just haven't seen things like PAX or Magfest, or at least I haven't seen any in Vegas.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • As for Magfest, you east coast people suck.
    Come again?
    Does the lack of same-sex marriages concern you?
  • Come again?
    Look, we really don't like to talk about everything south of north virginia. Just drop it.
  • Look, we really don't like to talk about everything south of north virginia. Just drop it.
    I know. I was only messing. Everywhere has everything awesome. Just have either have to find it or make it awesome. :3
  • Look, we really don't like to talk about everything south of north virginia. Just drop it.
    Just have either have to find it or make it awesome. :3
    Such is the mission of the Geek, and uphold said mission we shall.
  • edited August 2010
    TGWTG
    I had to look that acronym up. Upon finding what it stood for, I still had to then lookthatup.
    Whoops, sorry about that. TGWTG is short for That Guy with the Glasses it is most known for the videos of the Nostalgia Critic, however the site has a bevy of talent you guys and gals may be interested in checking out.
    If I wasn't going to Vegas for New Year's I'd probably be able to go to Magfest.
    Classic Gaming Expo anyone?
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • Classic Gaming Expoanyone?
    We're talking about something big, really big. Over 10,000 attendance.
  • Got the confirmation now, hotel is booked! Anyone else locked in yet?
  • Classic Gaming Expoanyone?
    We're talking about something big, really big. Over 10,000 attendance.
    I might be going to CES in Vegas during January, but once again this qualifies as something big and geeky, yet off the mark if you are looking for a PAX type of convention.
  • I might be going to CES in Vegas during January, but once again this qualifies as something big and geeky, yet off the mark if you are looking for a PAX type of convention.
    CES is about tech, yes, but it's not a geek convention. It's an industry trade show. There are lots of library conferences, and the comic publishers always show up there, but they aren't geek shows either. It's not a matter of for profit or fan-run, it's a matter of target audience. At least something like the Auto Show has a target audience of consumers, as opposed to a target audience of other people in the auto industry.
  • I might be going to CES in Vegas during January, but once again this qualifies as something big and geeky, yet off the mark if you are looking for a PAX type of convention.
    CES is about tech, yes, but it's not a geek convention. It's an industry trade show. There are lots of library conferences, and the comic publishers always show up there, but they aren't geek shows either. It's not a matter of for profit or fan-run, it's a matter of target audience. At least something like the Auto Show has a target audience of consumers, as opposed to a target audience of other people in the auto industry.
    Geeknight convention then? You guys would easily be able to pull something like that off.
  • Geeknight convention then? You guys would easily be able to pull something like that off.
    If we lived in Vegas.
  • Yep, no geek cons in Vegas.
    DEFCon is definitely a geekery, but it's not the same kind of fan convention we're talking about.
  • I want to go but I'm a little eehhhh about going to the east coast.
    Sadly, the GeekNights empire would have to grow substantially for us to have our own presence on any other coasts. You'll have to settle for joint ventures like PAX, where we come at someone else's empire's bequest.
  • edited August 2010
    bequest.
    It's a request, not a bequest. For it to be a bequest, they have to bequeath something to us. Sadly, there is no bequeathing, just queathing and requeathing. Perhaps you were thinking of beseech or behest?
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Sadly, there is no bequeathing, just queathing and requeathing.
    We get, at best, sovereignty over individual panel rooms for short amounts of time. It would be too great an expense to field the entire FRC Army across the continent...
  • I promise to not be playing guitar hero in a bedsheet this year.
    Sadly, the GeekNights empire would have to grow substantially for us to have our own presence on any other coasts. You'll have to settle for joint ventures like PAX, where we come at someone else's empire's bequest.
    It's not about you guys, or travel. Living in the middle of the country make travel easy to either coast. Just not a huge fan of the eastern US excluding NYC, Baltimore and Boston.

At my old job I hauled 3M medical supplies from Iowa to New Jersey. That left a sour feeling for the east coast for me.
  • Just not a huge fan of the eastern US excluding NYC, Baltimore and Boston.
    First of all, Baltimore sucks. Second of all, New York and Boston, that's pretty much the whole East coast right there. Everything else is actually the South, not the East.
  • Second of all, New York and Boston, that's pretty much the whole East coast right there. Everything else is actually the South, not the East.
    Philly counts too. There's a whole city over there.
  • Philly counts too. There's a whole city over there.
    Of poop.