This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

MAGFEST IX 2011

Comments

• MAGFest Tournament list
    Meet me in the challenge booth.
    Did you just come on to me?

Does anyone know the business with the Save Points and Treasure Chests? Is it like a LARP or is it part of the challenges?

• Does anyone know the business with theSave Points and Treasure Chests?Is it like a LARP or is it part of the challenges?
    Its like a scavenger hunt, throughout the convention various Boxes will be hidden, if you find it then you shall claim a prize, the LARP is a whole new ballgame.
  • Who is going, and has anyone seen a preview of the con book?
  • There appears to be a large announcement to come later today on the website at noon for surprise, I wonder what it could be.
  • According to their Twitter feed, they just announced two more artists that will play, Powerglove and A_Rival.
    Seriously, between the bands and DJs and Chiptunes... big lineup is big.
  • Semi-official list of TGWTG people that are going, if any of you guys want to hang out sometime at the con let me know, I would like to meet some of the FRC.
  • @Pete&;George: Do you guys want to try to enter Gamer Iron Chef? This is the one time I really wish Justin was going to a convention.
  • @Pete&;George;: Do you guys want to try to enterGamer Iron Chef?This is the one time I really wish Justin was going to a convention.
    A microwave??? Ugh, couldn't they at least have given us a toaster oven?
  • This is funny

• This is funny
    Oooooooh!
  • @Pete&;George;: Do you guys want to try to enter Gamer Iron Chef? This is the one time I really wish Justin was going to a convention.
    Hm. I could be up for this.

I'd need a more complete idea of what we already get to have, though. Like, are eggs standard, or will I need to buy those? How about spices? These things are important.

My first thought is a salmon dish for the entree, and build around that. Salmon grills quickly and easily and can carry a variety of different flavors. Chicken is another good neutral option, but I think it's a little too bland. Of course, it'll all depend on what we actually get.

As for the microwave, whatever. If you need something toasted, use the Foreman. Cooking in a microwave is totally possible; you just have to know what you're doing.

I'm game if you guys are.
  • Microwave? Salmon? No problem.
  • I'll have to look at that one, but I generally prefer my salmon grilled. A Foreman grill doesn't get hot enough to do beef very well, but it'll put a nice crust on some salmon.

Though I have to wonder about the full rules of the contest. They say a "limited reimbursement." I hope that means that everyone has to stick to a budget, because otherwise, this could get silly.
  • I'm game if you guys are.
    If the culinary leader is in I shall follow.
  • Pete. We don't know the secret ingredient until we get there. Don't start running with the Salmon just yet. :P I'm going to memorize that microwave brownie recipe though.

We should sign up with cool chef team name.
  • We should sign up with cool chef team name.
    Well fuck, I'm terrible at names. Everything I keep coming up with has -nator on the end.
  • We should sign up with cool chef team name.
    Well fuck, I'm terrible at names. Everything I keep coming up with has -nator on the end.
    Steal from the forgotten masters.

Team Sea Cucumber.
  • Team Sea Cucumber.
    See, my mind just doesn't come up with shit like that.
  • edited January 2011
    Parking now has an overflow lot, pro tip to save time if you are venturing out of the con via car, I will stick with bumming a ride and ordering delivery food.
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • I'm loving the above couch Mega Man 2 art that was in that X-men Arcade video
  • I'm loving the above couch Mega Man 2 art that was in that X-men Arcade video
  • MAGFest! Soon we will be in you.
  • edited January 2011
    So apparently MAGfest sold out during Pre Reg, so I hope all of you guys paid already. ;)
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • So apparently MAGfest sold out during Pre Reg, so I hope all of you guys paid already. ;)
    They'd better have. I note that the main hotel filled up before we even accepted the invitation to join the MAG-9.
  • Who is going to what, and is anyone else interested in the SSF4 3v3 tournament?
  • is anyone else interested in the SSF4 3v3 tournament?
    I would only handicap you.
  • is anyone else interested in the SSF4 3v3 tournament?
    I would only handicap you.
    I would be less of a handicap, but a handicap none the less. Maybe if I had more recent practice, I could help. Also, be very careful about officially sanctioned tournaments at conventions. I usually avoid them because they eat up a ton of your time.
  • I went to the Magfest page expecting to see GeekNights and R&S mentioned on the front page. They weren't. So I checked out Guests. Nada. Panelists? Nope. They aren't exactly giving the Glimmer Twins much by way of billing.
  • I went to the Magfest page expecting to see GeekNights and R&S; mentioned on the front page. They weren't. So I checked out Guests. Nada. Panelists? Nope. They aren't exactly giving the Glimmer Twins much by way of billing.
    No convention we go to ever gives us any sort of promotion. Not even Connecticon.
  • edited January 2011
    They aren't exactly giving the Glimmer Twins much by way of billing.
    They are going as attendees.

They will get some promotion on Zenkaikon's website soon (as featured panelists) but that's because well they have an IN and all :-p
    Post edited by Cremlian on