This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

MAGFEST IX 2011

1235»

Comments

• They are going as attendees.
    No, we're not. We're panelists and were part of the MAG 9 gaming intellectuals.
  • edited January 2011
    Panelists are generally not listed on a website though, Panels are. I.E. You are not guests.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • No, we're not. We're panelists and were part of the MAG 9 gaming intellectuals.
    We were "guests" originally, but there was internal MAGFest bureaucracy that shifted us to "featured panelists" and "MAG-9," but none of that really means anything to us. The last cons to actually bill us as guests were NYAF (back in the day), Katsucon, and SITA-con. At PAX, we're "speakers." At Anime Boston, we're usually "preferred panelists." At Otakon, we're "staff."
  • They way Scott was talking about it the other night how you guys are just mobbed at your public appearances and how you have to hide until everyone leaves, I expected to see you at least mentioned, I mean even as a footnote or something. But nothing? You're giving them free advertising. I hope they at least comped your admission. If you're paying on top of all this hype and effort, you're doing it wrong.
  • They way Scott was talking about it the other night how you guys are just mobbed at your public appearances and how you have to hide until everyone leaves, I expected to see you at least mentioned, I mean even as a footnote or something. But nothing? You're giving them free advertising. I hope they at least comped your admission. If you're paying on top of all this hype and effort, you're doing it wrong.
    We haven't paid for admission to a convention for as long as I can remember.

Also, yes we are mobbed after our speaking appearances. However, when we begin we sometimes as the audience to raise their hands if they know who we are. Very few raise their hands, especially if it's our first panel of the convention. We get mobbed afterwards because of the content of the panel so many people want to get our card, ask us questions, or sell us shit. Most of this is because we intentionally leave almost no time for Q&A;.
  • I hope they at least comped your admission.
    We have never appeared at a convention that did not at minimum comp us, nor would we. ;^)
  • You should be alright, unless the gods of the beltway decide to punish you, which happens about 1 in 5 times.
  • Finished packing I also have a gift for Scott and Rym as well since I think they will use it more then I, now it is time to rest and hope that not a single snow flake hits the ground...
  • Finished packing I also have a gift for Scott and Rym as well since I think they will use it more then I, now it is time to rest and hope that not a single snow flake hits the ground...
    I hope this gift involves some sort of ritual sacrifice.
  • Well my brake light picked a good time to stop working, it is off to the Jiffy Lube prior to the trek to MAGfest
  • MAGfest has come to an end, I came, I gamed, and I rocked. Sadly I could not join one of the many games Rym and Scott had, but had lunch with those guys and had a blast talking to them and finally meeting them in person. I hope they enjoy my old Atari and give it some good use.
  • I hope they enjoy my old Atari and give it some good use.
    He gave us an Atari 2600 modded with RCA and S-Video outputs!

We tried getting to the room party up on 802 a few times. Elevators stopped us once, and at some point a few of us knocked, but as it was well after midnight, we worried no one was awake anymore and slipped away ;^) We did tell John St. John to drop in on you guys when he asked us where the action was. Did he ever show up and cause trouble?
  • I hope they enjoy my old Atari and give it some good use.

We tried getting to the room party up on 802 a few times. Elevators stopped us once, and at some point a few of us knocked, but as it was well after midnight, we worried no one was awake anymore and slipped away ;^) We did tell John St. John to drop in on you guys when he asked us where the action was. Did he ever show up and cause trouble?
    He did say he hit 30+ room parties, so I'm pretty sure he hit every single one that existed.
  • edited January 2011
    I hope they enjoy my old Atari and give it some good use.

Sorry to hear that, our paths need to cross another time. John did not crash my party but he did crash some of the posse's party and they managed to get it on film so things will be interesting. I look forward in hearing your recap and hope to see you guys again in the flesh soon.
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • I just wanted to make a quick post to say that I had a lot of fun with you guys (Rym, Scott, Wyatt) at MAGFest this year. I was the long-haired guy that took part in the FreeMarket and Burning Wheel (The Sword and Thelon's Rift) games on Saturday. Playing BW again, I feel like I finally have a grasp on the rules well enough to run a BW game for my group back home (woo-hoo!). Who knows, maybe I'll see you guys at more cons throughout the year!
  • I just wanted to make a quick post to say that I had a lot of fun with you guys (Rym, Scott, Wyatt) at MAGFest this year. I was the long-haired guy that took part in the FreeMarket and Burning Wheel (The Sword and Thelon's Rift) games on Saturday. Playing BW again, I feel like I finally have a grasp on the rules well enough to run a BW game for my group back home (woo-hoo!). Who knows, maybe I'll see you guys at more cons throughout the year!
    Bad ass!
  • In case you missed it, Mr. Magfest was interviewed about MAGfest, interesting incite that goes against the norm you see in other conventions.