This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Playing rpgs GeekChat style

edited August 2010 in Role Playing Games
So I've noticed that in these forums there are people who who like rpgs, also here are people who like to talk to each other at Skype. Sometimes there has been overlap with these two groups, with has created Burning Geekchat. Also there are people who want more of this, example.

I've also had thoughts like this for some time, so I decided to create this thread, for people wanting to run rpg over Skype (or other tool) with the forumites and to those who want to join these games. Basically same idea as in GeekChat thread, but focused on rpg side of things.

Let's get this going. I have wanted to run or play Lady Blackbird for as long as I have known it. So I'm looking for 5 (can be a under that, but no more than that) players. After I get interested people we can start looking at suitable time (maybe with help of Wave, so it doesn't clog the thread.) So if you want adventures with airships, smugglers and pirates this is the game for you. Also I aim it to be one shot or maybe few sessions long campaign.

Comments

• I'd be up for it, but be warned I have little to no experience with this type of games.
  • I'd be up for it, but be warned I have little to no experience with this type of games.
  • I pocket the lock.
  • edited August 2010
    I pocket the lock.
    I've suddenly remembered that I can't read.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Why not play a small press and/or simple, but elegant RPG on these kinds of events like Inspectres?
  • Why not play a small press and/or simple, but elegant RPG on these kinds of events like Inspectres?
    Here's a thought - why hasn't anyone invented an RPG that's optimised to play at a distance like this?
  • I heard on some RPG podcast that there are services designed for this kind of thing.
  • edited August 2010
    Why not play a small press and/or simple, but elegant RPG on these kinds of events like Inspectres?
    You didn't look behind the link to Lady Blackbird I gave in my opening post. The reason I chose that game is because it's good, free indie-rpg with premade characters and situation build in. Inspectres is something you have to buy and I already have more than enough games that I haven't played yet in my shelf. Also Lady Blackbird is simple, but elegant.
    Here's a thought - why hasn't anyone invented an RPG that's optimised to play at a distance like this?
    Sleep is death? It counts in my eyes.
    Post edited by Apsup on
  • Sleep is death? It counts in my eyes.
    I was thinking more in the style of Pen and paper RPGs, over skype, or a similar interface. Diceless RPGs hold promise, but I'd have to investigate them more, either way, I'm not sure if they'd be suitable.
  • I was thinking more in the style of Pen and paper RPGs, over skype, or a similar interface. Diceless RPGs hold promise, but I'd have to investigate them more, either way, I'm not sure if they'd be suitable.
    You don't need anything special. Just do a video chat using your software of choice. Then point your webcams at your dice when necessary. That will work for almost all games, period, except for ones that have imperfect information in a shared resource.
  • I was thinking more in the style of Pen and paper RPGs, over skype, or a similar interface. Diceless RPGs hold promise, but I'd have to investigate them more, either way, I'm not sure if they'd be suitable.
    You don't need anything special. Just do a video chat using your software of choice. Then point your webcams at your dice when necessary. That will work for almost all games, period, except for ones that have imperfect information in a shared resource.
    Why the webcam? Yes sometimes it might be nice to see other people faces, but pointing cam on dice is pointless. Don't you trust your players Scott?
  • Why the webcam? Yes sometimes it might be nice to see other people faces, but pointing cam on dice is pointless. Don't you trust your players Scott?
    It's not about whether or not you trust them, it's about the suspense.

OH man, this is a huge roll, so important! And... the guy rolling reacts before everyone else does. If everyone sees the dice, then you can all react simultaneously. Better shared experience.
  • Isn't there a simple dice rolling website or something? something that rolls virtual dice live to all on the same channel or something like that?
  • Isn't there a simple dice rolling website or something? something that rolls virtual dice live to all on the same channel or something like that?
    Yes, but the physicality of rolling actual dice, or using actual cards, or whatever it is, actually plays a big psychological role in the game. Clicking a button and then immediately seeing the results is not the same as feeling dice in your hands.

I guess if it had some animations of dice bouncing around instead of just numbers suddenly appearing, then it would be better.
  • You don't need anything special. Just do a video chat using your software of choice. Then point your webcams at your dice when necessary. That will work for almost all games, period, except for ones that have imperfect information in a shared resource.
    Tried that more than once before - it works, it's okay, but it's a duct-tape solution to something that could do with something new instead. Fuck if I'd be any good at writing an RPG system, though, would I bollocks.
  • Can I recommend Infrno? It's a web service pretty much designed specifically for playing RPGs, with voice, video, chat and a shared note table built in.
  • Can I recommendInfrno? It's a web service pretty much designed specifically for playing RPGs, with voice, video, chat and a shared note table built in.
    Huh, fair enough. I'll give it a look, thanks.
  • So, is this happening?
  • So, is this happening?
    I was hoping to see one or two more players, but I promise that I'll look into this tomorrow, posting details.
  • So, MrRobot, Sonic and Socha it seems that I'm not available to run anything next weekend because I will be larping (gasp, the horrible things I do). I'm looking the weekend after that 20th or 21st would be great for me. Do you have free time then or shall we dig deeper. Also there is still room for two more players.
  • Both work for me just fine.
  • The next few weekends are pretty bad for me. I wouldn't be able to do it on either of those days. Sorry!