This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Gaming mice

edited August 2010 in Everything Else
I'm looking for a gaming mouse and I'm not knowledgeable about what sorts of options I have available. Price isn't a matter as long as it's nothing crazy like 300 dollars. What does everyone here use and recommend?

Comments

• Just get the one Rym has.
  • Steelseries Xai.
  • I have a Microsoft Sidewinder mouse. I like it, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it to anyone.
  • If you're just looking for something really simple, two buttons and a wheel, I'd recommend the Razer Krait. Cheap, comfortable, and precise.
  • Steelseries Xai.
    From what I've read, this mouse has shitty software that crashes. Only 3 stars on newegg. Kinda off-putting, you sure about it?
    If you're just looking for something really simple, two buttons and a wheel, I'd recommend the Razer Krait. Cheap, comfortable, and precise.
    I wonder if I really need anything more than that, even for gaming. Any reason I should invest in a 100 dollar mouse when a 40 dollar mouse can do all the most important bits, and quite well at that?
  • edited August 2010
    I got the Razer Salmosa and I really like it.

It's small and has two big buttons. Nothing fancy, just two buttons and a wheel. It's reasonably precise, though I can't say too much about that since I'm not that good at FPSs. It doesn't "lag" like some of the mice my friends use, and it's precise enough for the stuff I do which sometimes requires hitting individual pixels on the screen, even if I turn the sensitivity way up. The wheel doesn't roll too easily, and snaps tightly into each stop - a good thing if you're still switching weapons with the wheel or do other input actions with it that require you to do a certain number of clicks (I mean up or down, not the wheel button) with the wheel. When you click the middle button, the wheel never accidentally turns up or down, unlike on other mice I tried. It requires a bit more effort than most other mice if you want to use the wheel to quickly scroll up and down through web pages or something though.

There's one problem with it: It doesn't work on my desk, which has a white shiny surface. On other desks with darker surfaces it works fine. I don't know if that's a problem with all infrared mice or just with this one. I put it on a mouse pad which cost as much as the mouse itself (Razer eXactMat).
    Post edited by Zykrome on
  • There's one problem with it: It doesn't work on my desk
    You shouldn't use mice on bare desks. The friction pads on the bottom of the mouse become abraded, reducing smoothness of motion and prematurely ending the useful life of the mouse. Mouse pads prevent this untimely wear as well as providing smoother, higher-precision control.
    From what I've read, this mouse has shitty software that crashes. Only 3 stars on newegg. Kinda off-putting, you sure about it?
    I've had no problems. The software is only to configure the crazy settings on the mouse, and isn't running all the time, but regardless it hasn't given me trouble.
  • You shouldn't use mice on bare desks. The friction pads on the bottom of the mouse become abraded, reducing smoothness of motion and prematurely ending the useful life of the mouse. Mouse pads prevent this untimely wear as well as providing smoother, higher-precision control.
    My mouse hasn't had friction pads for years despite always being used on a mouse pad. As a result the bottom has become finely polished.
  • I had been using my mouse on my desk, but I just got a Razer Sphex. I got it because the surface of my desk is peeling. I don't know if I can recommend it because the adhesive on it was defective. However, I added my own repositionable adhesive (post-it in a can), and now it's awesome. The difference in the friction is enormous.
  • edited August 2010
    Yeah, I also like the smooth slidiness of my Razer mouse pad. The eXactMat is basically just an aluminium plate, with little rubber feet in the corners. The feet come off if you're not careful when you put the pad in a laptop bag or something.

I never used a "high quality" mouse on a bare desk. I just had no mouse pad back then because I had used a trackball before, but when I wanted to play some FPSs, I noticed how slow I was with that thing, so I went and got a mouse.

The only mouse I use on bare desks is my cheap laptop mouse, and that one's going to break anyway from being carried around in my bag all the time, so I don't care much about wearing it out.

Using a trackball is fine if your screen is smaller than 19" and you don't have to make quick and far movements. Quick movements over short distances are fine, but if you have to go to the other end of the screen with your cursor, it's going to take a while. And no, flicking the ball and then catching it is no option because the cursor will end up anywhere but where you want it to be. Maybe you can develop some special technique, but it's not worth it. Just use a mouse.
    Post edited by Zykrome on
  • JayJay
    edited August 2010
    I've had no problems. The software is only to configure the crazy settings on the mouse, and isn't running all the time, but regardless it hasn't given me trouble.
    The software on the Xai is defiantly not up to par with the mouse. It is great for doing everything but remap keys. If you try to set any macros or do something simple like set a keystroke to a button it will crash frequently and fight you every step of the way. Considering the quality of the mouse it is surprising how poorly this section of the software is handled. Steelseries appears to be flat out ignoring the large swath of complaints and many customer negative reviews regarding the software. I do not expect them to fix the issue. I can not recommend anyone buy the mouse given that it is fairly expensive and has a glaring problem with its software. Though, if you never plan to re-map keys the mouse does work just fine. You can remap keys it just takes 10 times longer then it should. It is also they most sleek gaming mouse I've seen. It feels like sex in your hand.

There are several other mice in the Steelseres Xai price range that are much easier to use and equivalent quality. Logitech G9x/Alienware TactX (same mouse) or the Razer Lachesis are both fine. If you want the best bang for your buck and still have programmable buttons the Razor DeathAdder is probably the way to go. If you want something bare bones but quality you can pick up the Steelseries Kinzu for $20. If you do not plan on using more then left and right click along with the scroll wheel it will be perfect for you.
    Post edited by Jay on
  • I got a Steelseries Kinzu. It's a good but simple mouse. I have had 2 Razer mice before, a Krait and a Deathadder. Razer Deathadder is the best mouse I ever touched. It's for big hands though, unlike my mouse, it's the one thing I don't like about my current mouse.
  • edited August 2010
    I got a Steelseries Kinzu. It's a good but simple mouse. I have had 2 Razer mice before, a Krait and a Deathadder. Razer Deathadder is the best mouse I ever touched. It's for big hands though, unlike my mouse, it's the one thing I don't like about my current mouse.
    In that case, I might trade up from my Krait to the Deathadder. The Krait is fantastic, but it's so fuggin' tiny in my hand that it's sometimes particularly irritating.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I'm using a logitech G9, i really like it. i've got weirdly shaped hands and it fits me fine. I really liked the bit of customization it has on it, granted its 3 years old now but its still just as good today as it was when I bought it. I always have used it with out a mouse pad and the pads on the bottom of the mouse have stayed nice and smooth and present all this time. /logitechfanboi

Really you should go to a few stores and man handle every single mouse they have until you find something that feels right in your hand.
  • The PAX Expo hall is an excellent place to try out every gaming mouse imaginable.
  • edited September 2010
    This may sound strange, but I think I'm ready to go beyond 2000DPI + 1000Hz. It's mostly due to not being able to set separate sensitivities for shotguns and sniper rifles.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I roll with the logitech trackman. its pretty awesome because you can use it on any surface(my couch).
  • edited December 2010
    Any Logitech G9x (G9 is fine too.) users out there? Amazon's got them for £40.
    Over the Xai, it's got an attachable wider grip (Important for my huge hands.) and I can rely on Logitech to make decent driver software, also -on offer- it's cheaper. The Xai has a higher DPI (5000 vs 3200) but +1200 should be enough of an improvement to last for at least a year.

Correction: Amazon speaks lies, the G9x goes up to 5000DPI as well.
  • I just got to try the Razer Abyssus. Really like it! Feels almost the same as the Salmosa, but has a higher resolution.
  • I really need to get a new mouse, as you all will see when I get on the CS server later this week.
  • I have a weird 3d mouse that I used in my MMORPG days. It has 3 analog sticks on it, one on the top two on either side. The one on the top requires the mousewheel to be pushed back and so I have to hold it weird to use the mousewheel effectively.
  • What's people's opinion of the Logitech MX 518?
  • What's people's opinion of the Logitech MX 518?
    That's basically the same as the Logitech G5 I have. It's got some gimmicky bs, but is otherwise just fine.
  • Got a Razer DeathAdder in the mail today. Holy shit, this mouse is nice. I'm configuring one of the buttons to toggle the mouse to ultra-low sensitivity so that I can use it for high-accuracy sniping in BC2.
  • edited February 2011
    Games should really start letting you adjust sensitivity for scoped/ironsighted weapons independently.

G9x is a damn fine mouse. I had the weights in it to begin with but I've slowly been increasing sensitivity and reducing the weights as I get used to it.
    Scroll click is hard to press but that's more than made up for by smooth scroll (That shit is the bomb.).
  • edited March 2011
    Jeremy bought one of those Razer Naga mice, and it's pretty sexy. I kind of want one now even though I really don't play WoW anymore.

Perhaps I'll get it, then buy L4D2, so I can play with my podcast brothers. :3
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Razr mice have a habit of popping up on woot.com if you want to save a few bucks on one. You can totally get L4D2 on the cheap though, and I think the game is a lot of fun.
  • edited March 2011
    That's a lot of buttons.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on