This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Disney Afternoon

edited August 2010 in Everything Else
It was probably the best cartoon block on TV at the time and had some really great shows.

Discuss.

Comments

• I would argue that Fox Kids more shaped my childhood, but the Disney Afternoon was good. I didn't watch it nearly as much, but most of the shows that it showed back in the 90's were definitely good.

I would also argue Toonami as being pretty much the best thing ever by the time I was in like, the 4th or 5th grade (so, like...2001-02.).
  • GeoGeo
    edited August 2010
    Evidence of awesomeness.

WOO-OOH

OH-WEE-AY

Post edited by Geo on
  • edited August 2010
    Disney Afternoon!

Ducktales stand the test of time. I think that is the best of the lineup and should still be on the air. In fact why aren't all the DA shows on DVD Oh SHIT the ones I love are! (Well, Ducktales is. We own it!) There's gems that were not only great, but still had a home on TV until Toon Disney became Disney XD. (Bleech! Seriously it was the Boomerang for Disney! It was NEEDED! WHY!)

Ch-ch-ch CHIP N' DALE! RESCUE RANGERS~! That, I remember fondly. It was an adventure show with cute fuzzy animals. Easily the second best of DA.

Gummi Bears~! Bouncing here and there and everywhere~! The 3rd best, totally!

Tale Spin had some really good episodes I still remember. Plus I loved how they took The Jungle Book characters, kept their personas and put them in the 1930's or 20's. Khan is still the man/tiger/furry Lex Luthor.

Everything else was mediocre. Goof Troop, Darkwing Duck, Quack Pack etc.

(This is me fangirling in text form.)

Also, behold. The crossover comic. Official. Was in Disney Adventure.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Gummi Bears~! Bouncing here and there and everywhere~! The 3rd best, totally!
    I never actually watched the Gummi Bears.
    Everything else was mediocre. Goof Troop, Darkwing Duck, Quack Pack etc.
    1. Goof Troop does not hold up at all (but the Goofy movies still do, oddly).
    2. BLASPHEMY! Darkwing Duck was AMAZING and you are a TERRIBLE PERSON for not liking it!
    3. Quack Pack sucked, but no one really argues that fact.

I feel like every now and then, Disney makes a show that is very in the spirit of the Disney Afternoon. Kim Possible and Phineas and Ferb immediately spring to mind.
  • edited August 2010
    Evidence of awesomeness.
    Darkwing duck intro
    Goddamnit, I'm so used to watching the Russian one, I sung along to it rather than the English.
    Also, behold. The crossover comic. Official. Was in Disney Adventure.
    I still own every issue that arc appeared in.
    Post edited by Churba on

• 2. BLASPHEMY! Darkwing Duck was AMAZING and you are a TERRIBLE PERSON for not liking it!
    It didn't stand the test of time for me.
  • edited August 2010
    I would also argue Toonami as being pretty much the best thing ever by the time I was in like, the 4th or 5th grade (so, like...2001-02.).
    THIS.

Gundam Wing and MS Gundam changed the way I would look at animation forever. Also, Rurouni Kenshin. And Outlaw Star. And the Midnight Run: First time I ever saw Cowboy Bebop.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Can we at least all agree on the fact that Gargoyles was fantastic (and that Keith David has a sexy voice on par with Patrick Warburton's)?
  • Can we at least all agree on the fact that Gargoyles was fantastic (and that Keith David has a sexy voice on par with David Riley's)?
  • Can we at least all agree on the fact that Gargoyles was fantastic (and that Keith David has a sexy voice on par withDavid Riley's)?
    This is completely true, but one cannot deny Patrick Warburton's ability to make anything sound sexy.

He can read me passages about burgers any time. -swoon-
  • Could he read Moby Dick for you?
  • Gargoyles was awesome. I loved the movie (4-5 part intro episode), and watched the show whenever I could.

But yeah, I still stand with Toonami. Dragon Ball/Z, Rurouni Kenshin, Yu Yu Hakusho, G Gundam, the Tenchi stuff, Batman: The Animated Series, Batman Beyond, Zoids, Samurai Jack (which was originally a CN Fridays deal, but aired a lot on Toonami.), .hack//Sign, Cyborg 009, Star Wars: Clone Wars (Not the new one, the old 2D one that was Samurai Jack with Jedi), Gundam Seed, Teen Titans, Justice League, IGPX, and MAR. The vast majority of these still stand the test of time for me.
  • But yeah, I still stand with Toonami. Dragon Ball/Z, Rurouni Kenshin, Yu Yu Hakusho, G Gundam, the Tenchi stuff, Batman: The Animated Series, Batman Beyond, Zoids, Samurai Jack (which was originally a CN Fridays deal, but aired a lot on Toonami.), .hack//Sign, Cyborg 009, Star Wars: Clone Wars (Not the new one, the old 2D one that was Samurai Jack with Jedi), Gundam Seed, Teen Titans, Justice League, IGPX, and MAR. The vast majority of these still stand the test of time for me.
    Yes.
    YES.
  • I was never really a fan of the Gargoyles. I don't know why people like it so much.

Nowadays I would definitely pick Duck Tales over any other Disney Afternoon show. The thing is, back in the day I probably would have said that I liked Darkwing Duck the most, even though I probably really enjoyed Goof Troop the most.
  • I was never really a fan of the Gargoyles. I don't know why people like it so much.
  • Because it was good. :P
  • But yeah, I still stand with Toonami. Dragon Ball/Z, Rurouni Kenshin, Yu Yu Hakusho, G Gundam, the Tenchi stuff, Batman: The Animated Series, Batman Beyond, Zoids, Samurai Jack (which was originally a CN Fridays deal, but aired a lot on Toonami.), .hack//Sign, Cyborg 009, Star Wars: Clone Wars (Not the new one, the old 2D one that was Samurai Jack with Jedi), Gundam Seed, Teen Titans, Justice League, IGPX, and MAR. The vast majority of these still stand the test of time for me.
    Yes.
    YES.
    YES! It was a sad, sad day when Toonami died.
    Yes.
    YES.
    You all forget...

BLUE SUBMARINE NO 6.

• Duck Tales
    FUCK YEAH!
    Tale Spin
    FUCK YEAH!
    Darkwing Duck
    FUCK YEAH!

What the fuck is Disney Afternoon?
  • edited August 2010
    What the fuck is Disney Afternoon?
    All of us USA kids would come home from school around 3-4pm and FUCK YEAH! four times in a row.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • >joke

>Apreche's head.
  • edited August 2010
    \__8====D__/
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I need to watch the end of Gargoyles. I remember Avalon story arch, but I don't think I've ever seen the final episode.
  • For me, it was Duck Tales, Chip N' Dale, and The Gummi Bears for Disney cartoons. I didn't care for the others. I wouldn't say it's the best cartoon block, but one of the best. I enjoyed the original Nick Toons block as well as the Fox Kids. The more I think about it, I barely remember the actual cartoons that played in the blocks but just specific cartoons.

Gargoyles looked cool, but I never got into it.
  • I was too old by the time Gargoyles came on. I cared about girls.
  • Gargoyles looked cool, but I never got into it.
    Yeah, Gargoyles came at the end of the block's run so I can understand why a lot of you didn't get into it. Duck Tales and Gummi Bears actually started airing before I was born, so I know that I mostly saw Duck Tales through re-runs and I don't remember ever watching Gummi Bears at all. The Darkwing Duck/Tale Spin/Goof Troop era of the Afternoon is when I really started watching it.
    It started in '94, so I was 12.
    Yeah, Gargoyles came at the end of the block's run so I can understand why a lot of you didn't get into it.
    I actually specifically remember switching to a different channel when Gargoyles came on in order to watch something else. I can't remember if it was B:TAS, Loony Tunes, or Rocky & Bullwinkle.
    It started in '94, so I was 12.
  • It started in '94, so I was 12.
    Yeah... I was 4 or 5, so I was definitely in the target demographic.
  • It started in '94, so I was 12.
    Yeah... I was 4 or 5, so I was definitely in the target demographic.
    The adults I knew loved that show. I'm kinda up for a go of watching it since I'm older. As kid it looked dry and boring and was probably against B:TAS at the time in it's slot.