This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

When a forum person dies.... Will we even know?

edited August 2010 in Everything Else
I was thinking about this when I resurrected that thread "Wildwood in the winter" and noticed the person who initially posted had not been on since Feb 8 2010 and when I searched around Google just to see if they were just not active on the thread when I noticed they had stopped updating on another site on the same date..While I'm sure this is just a coincidence however it got me thinking. How will we know when someone on the forum dies? Should we have a part of our will that contains a list of all the sites we were extremely active in? Or should you always have a list of passwords and user names in a vault somewhere?

Comments

• There is actually a blog which collects final blog posts of bloggers who have died. Many of them are along the lines of "Hello, this is Barry's mother. Barry died in a car accident a week ago, so now you know why he hasn't been updating much."

Pity I can't remember the name of the website and my google skills are failing me.
  • edited August 2010
    I'm pretty sure that you'd all know if I died - I've enough connections with FRCF people outside of the forums that if I didn't show up anywhere for long enough, someone would most likely either be told directly, or look up something like my facebook, and find out that way, passing the information along to here.

Other than that, I've been thinking about a clause to put in one's will that would ensure that it was broadcast widely enough that it was known to anyone I interact with on the net. I mean, sure, I'm not terribly important or anything, but I figure if I died, at least some of those people would want to know - including some of the FRCF.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Death triggers will be come very popular in the nearing future.
  • edited August 2010
    Death triggers will be come very popular in the nearing future.
    The only reason I've not already put one in place is because I just know I'd forget to hit the "I'm alive!" button before long - since I don't trust anyone else to instead hit a "Yep, he's dead" button at the right time - and thus, there would be rumours of my death which would be greatly exaggerated.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • there would be rumours of my death which would be greatly exaggerated.
    Simple. When triggered, it first emails you. Then it IMs. Then an SMS. Then a phone call. If none of those work through two full cycles over the course of a month, it triggers the external side.

Or, just have the trigger kill you if you fail to respond, thus ensuring that it is not in fact in error.
  • edited August 2010
    Simple. When triggered, it first emails you. Then it IMs. Then an SMS. Then a phone call. If none of those work through two full cycles over the course of a month, it triggers the external side.
    It would be tricky at this point to set an automated system for this in place, but good idea, I didn't think of that.
    Or, just have the trigger kill you if you fail to respond, thus ensuring that it is not in fact in error.
    This, much simpler. two kilos of C4 on one's person at all times, with an electronic detonation system linked up to a phone-like thing. Miss your Dead-man's switch, the system calls the phone-like device, which in turn sets off the exploding bridgewire or slapper detonator, setting off the C4, and boom, you're a crispy critter. Hell, even a foot or two of 250 g/f det cord used as a necklace would work well enough. Or Even something along the lines of the primaline 85 400 G/F cord, holy shit, that'd be a firework and a half.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • When I suddenly die, I would just completely disappear from the internet. and_nothing_of_value_was_lost.jpg
  • edited August 2010
    When I suddenly die, I would just completely disappear from the internet.and_nothing_of_value_was_lost.jpg
    I thought trolls became one with the internet when they died.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • When I suddenly die, I would just completely disappear from the internet.and_nothing_of_value_was_lost.jpg
    All geeks become one with the force when we die, get it right. But trolls become part of the internet force, it's true.
  • I thought trolls became one with the internet when they died.
    The real world ain't portrayed by Serial Experiments Lain mate.

Also, to quote my Skype mood. I'll become one with LEGO bricks when I die.
  • GeoGeo
    edited August 2010
    The real world ain't portrayed by Serial Experiments Lain mate.

Also, to quote my Skype mood. I'll become one with LEGO bricks when I die.
    The question that remains is: Is it going to be at a Lego factory or at the Lego Group HQ in Denmark?
    Post edited by Geo on
    edited August 2010
    The question that remains is: Is it going to be at a Lego factory or at the Lego Group HQ in Denmark?
    Wherever they can put my ashes into the molten brick goop before they pour it in shapes.
    Post edited by ... on
  • The question that remains is: Is it going to be at a Lego factory or at the Lego Group HQ in Denmark?
    Wherever they can put my ashes into the molten brick goop before they pour it in shapes.
    Any specific requests regarding what the shapes will be used for (what set do you want your ashes to be used in)?
  • I actually just now, because of this thread, made plans with my friend for just such an occurrence. If I die, my friend Yuyuke will post from my account stating that I am no longer of this world.
  • I just started writing the emails for that website to send out... It's painful.
  • edited August 2010
    I had something prepared actually. A file (computer and paper) that has all the blogs, forums and such I frequent with the password and instructions.

"I am Victoria (screenname) Gadson's _(friend or fam)__ . She has died of ___________. To those who knew her here she wanted to say: (It's a secret till I die. It's a secret till I die. It's a secret till I die. It's a secret till I die. It's a secret till I die. It's a secret till I die. It's a secret till I die. It's a secret till I die. This a placeholder for what I want to say. It'll will be about this long.)

Whether it's through data or in reality, my reasoning is that if people knew me and I touched them somehow it like proof that I existed. Silly? I know.

Also, can I steal the Lego idea?

The comic Kimmie 66 deals with this type of situation sorta. Part of the Minx line before that died. I rec it.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • there would be rumours of my death which would be greatly exaggerated.

Conversely if all these methods were going off and you ended up making a mistake and having the trigger kill you...

...it would be a fatal error.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH
  • I've got a sheet of usernames/passwords in my safe for my wife in case I die, but most of it is serious stuff like our bank account log-ins, how to access the online accounts for all of our utilities to make sure the bills keep getting paid, and of course instructions to collect my life insurance, retirement accounts, etc. I threw my gmail password on there b/c I figured somebody should know if, but never considered my log-ins for forums.
  • I've got a sheet of usernames/passwords in my safe for my wife in case I die, but most of it is serious stuff like our bank account log-ins, how to access the online accounts for all of our utilities to make sure the bills keep getting paid, and of course instructions to collect my life insurance, retirement accounts, etc. I threw my gmail password on there b/c I figured somebody should know if, but never considered my log-ins for forums.
    That works, but it's very annoying. You have to go to the safe deposit box every time you change your passwords. I change mine frequently enough for this to be a hassle.
  • On another forum I go to there have been two instances where a forum member died unexpectedly. The first time, the deceased's friend made a topic about his death, so everyone found out the day after it happened. Those who knew him paid their respects, and those who didn't offered their sympathies.

The second time was different. The forum member just stopped posting and nobody suspected that anything was out of the ordinary, since maybe he was taking a break from the internet. It wasn't until someone checked his deviantART account and saw a message written by the person's IRL friend saying that he had died. It turned out he had been dead for months, and none of us knew.
  • @Gunabad: Once you have the email account password, you can just get password resets sent to it for most things.
  • Any specific requests regarding what the shapes will be used for (what set do you want your ashes to be used in)?
    4 2s. Blue.
    Also, can I steal the Lego idea?
    No. You can borrow a copy of it though. Return after eternity please.