This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Building A Computer

Comments

• To be fair, I haven't put them side-by-side, or taken a color acuity test on both of them. My eyesight is fine, thanks. All things considered, I've got more important things to pay for, especially when my game rig is about to go unused for a year. Since my laptop is a Lenovo IPS, it's a moot point overall.
  • edited August 2011
    To be fair, I haven't put them side-by-side, or taken a color acuity test on both of them. My eyesight is fine, thanks. All things considered, I've got more important things to pay for, especially when my game rig is about to go unused for a year. Since my laptop is a Lenovo IPS, it's a moot point overall.
    While I might be wrong - I'm a little to lazy to hunt it down - the last time we had this little talk, Scott acted like it was important that the monitor could display more colours than he(or anyone) could perceive, so grain of salt. Admittedly, he didn't put it like that, but you'd hardly expect him to, because it sounds silly when you say it like that. Sure, it's nice to have THE GREATEST MONITOR IN ZE VORLD!!! but it's a bit pointless if you, as a human being, do not have the visual acuity to tell the difference.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Waitaminute! My laptop screen wasn't IPS and it suited me JUST FINE. In fact, it's better than the expensive flatscreen my uncle has got! Why am I even going into this? *takes ips screen off shopping cart*
  • The only other weird thing is, why is it 1080p? It's not a TV, it's a monitor. You generally want a monitor to have a higher resolution and aspect ratio than a TV. I like a 16:10 monitor, not 16:9.
    Wow you're fucking picky.
  • It's a little more expensive than I'd like, but would this be a good video card?
  • It's a little more expensive than I'd like, but would this be a good video card?
    I have one of those, quite pleased with it.
  • edited August 2011
    M'kay.

Edit: I'm assuming PCI Express 2.1 will not fit into PCI Express 2.0? My motherboard has PCI Express 2.0 ports, but the video card linked above is PCI Express 2.0.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • Edit: I'm assuming PCI Express 2.1 will not fit into PCI Express 2.0? My motherboard has PCI Express 2.0 ports, but the video card linked above is PCI Express 2.0.
    That's not my understanding, I'm not sure my MB is even 2.0, definitely not 2.1. The card works just fine, though probably not at its absolute optimum.
  • Kewl. Sounds good to me. I confirmed that elsewhere online.
    Here's a new build. Updated mouse, video card, and monitor (much to my annoyance).
    It's pricier than my previous minimum, but still lower than my maximum.
  • edited August 2011
    Good. That's a big improvement over the first builds, especially the video card.
    You should check on how much the cables you're looking for will cost here, though. Monoprice is pretty much where anyone who knows what they're doing buys cables from in the U.S., though there's another site I can't remember the name of at the moment. While it's possible that Newegg is cheaper, I think they probably won't be.

Other minor thoughts: The power supply looks pretty good, but I think you don't need to pay that much, and you probably don't need 750W. You can calculate the power requirements yourself, but you could probably get a different, lower-wattage model from another quality brand like Corsair or SeaSonic and save some money.
    EDIT: The 650W Corsair in Sonic's build is probably pretty good.

Other than that, you should still look into Intel's Core i5s for the CPU. If you look here, you can see that Intel's latest quad-cores beat AMD's hex-cores in the majority of circumstances, despite having similar clock speeds; it's due to architectural differences.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited August 2011
    @Sonic

Your second system is definitely quite a lot better than the first, but I think you're overpaying for the graphics card again. Given that HD 6950 cards start at around the $250 mark, it's pretty hard to justify $300 for one of them, even if it has 2GB of VRAM (which will for some time yet have no real impact, especially if you're not going with crazy resolutions like 2560x1600). You should consider NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 560 Ti, because it seems to be slightly cheaper than the HD 6950, while roughly equal in performance.
  • edited August 2011
    Well, I was hoping to eventually get two more monitors and use the Eyefinity, but I suppose I could just buy a newer eyefinity supporting graphics card when I buy the third monitor a couple of years from now.

Swapped the ATI graphics card for this EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti. If I feel the need for even more speed and decide NOT to go eyefinity, at least I can just get another one and SLI them.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Yeah, futureproofing for any more than several months in the computer world tends to be a mistake.
  • edited August 2011
    It seems the GTX 560 Ti is ~33% faster than the GTX 460 at the reference clock speeds, so it's not too shabby for the bump up in price. Purely in terms of price/performance the GTX 460 is better value, but graphics cards are neither bought nor used in a vacuum.

It does seem that the reference clock speeds for both cards are fairly low, though, as is demonstrated by just how many of the cards on Newegg have a significant factory overclock - at the lower end of the price spectrum for each I noted a GTX 460 at +15%, and a GTX 560 Ti at +10%.
  • Yeah, so I'm feeling pretty good about this rig. Plus, if I order it in the morning, I'll very likely just be able to drive to their warehouse in City of Industry (Thats the name of the city. Like fucking Metropolis) and pick it all up the very same day. None of it needs to ship!
  • It's a pretty sweet setup. Have fun with it!
  • Alright, I like Sonic's power supply, going with that. I would order cables from a cheaper place, but honestly, the ones I've got are pretty damn cheap, and I only want to make one order, for the sake of simplicity. Call me lazy, but $10-20 in savings aren't a big deal to me.
  • edited August 2011
    I'm still interested in knowing why you want the X6 1090T for the CPU.
    One other point: $90 is rather steep for a 1TB HDD, even with that 5 year warranty - many 2TB drives cost less than that.
  • I've heard good things about it, it was suggested to me by a good friend who has a really badass computer.
  • edited August 2011
    What your friend said was likely true when be bought his computer, but that CPU is over a year old now. It was a decent option back then, but Intel's offerings from earlier this year are trouncing it, despite AMD's price drops.
    Even back then it was a toss-up between them, but AMD's hexcores used to have the advantage in highly parallelizable applications like video encoding.
  • What would you recommend then? This looks promising, though it is a quad-core compared to the AMD's six-core.
  • Yeah, the i5-2400 is quite solid.
  • Okay, I might be retarded.
    Motherboard
    Processor
    Motherboard takes AM3 processors, CPU is an LGA 1155. This means they aren't compatible, right? 'Cause it doesn't fit, and I think I might be an enormous dumbass.
  • That's an AMD motherboard and an Intel chip. Try this motherboard.
  • edited August 2011
    Dude...I already bought all of it. Like an idiot...

There's a computer shop nearby where I could get an AMD processor. I could try to replace the Motherboard through Newegg, wait a longer time, and then use the processor I have, or just deal with not being able to return my Intel processor and buy an AMD processor and have the computer now. I can always find someone to buy the Intel processor locally and eat the cost. Plus, my Motherboard is already all screwed into my case and has things plugged into it. It's more of a hassle to take everything apart and return it than to drive 15 minutes to get a working processor that everything else will go with.
    Plus, the local processor is like...$100...
    Post edited by Axel on
  • edited August 2011
    Replace the mobo. You'll be happier with the Intel chip. Also, you're wasting a ton of money by not using that intel CPU.

This is what building a PC is all about: learning from your mistakes. Your dumb, impossible-to-troubleshoot, and sometimes gut-wrenchingly terrifying mistakes.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I'm going to build a computer really soon, and I'm getting a CPU+mobo from a friend. He's upgrading his machine and wants to run OS X on it, so he has to replace his AMD processor with something from Intel. Also, he has the processor unlocked to four cores. He's offering them both to me for $100 total.

Sounds like a sweet deal to me. Thoughts?
  • Replace the mobo. You'll be happier with the Intel chip. Also, you're wasting a ton of money by not using that intel CPU.
    I thought it really no longer mattered between AMD or Intel and that they were both equally good.

Are you being one of those guys?
  • I thought it really no longer mattered between AMD or Intel and that they were both equally good.
    It matters.
  • I thought it really no longer mattered between AMD or Intel and that they were both equally good.
    It matters.