This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Building A Computer

1585960616264»

Comments

• So in my quest to develop a custom case I think I have the groundwork laid.

One big big boost that came is from GrabCAD, where many excellent humans have uploaded models of many computer components from specific motherboards to various brands of RAM and PSUa and coolers and fans. A couple GPU models are on there and while you might not have the ability to model exactly your ideal rig you can for sure get a bunch of parts that more or less fit the look and size of the components and provide a way to make space reservations in 3D without lifting a single caliper or ruler.

Granted there is zero guarantee that they are accurate enough and for sure I will independently be using my own measurements and checking the ATX standards, but this is a very easy way to plop down a populated mobo, a psu, and some radiators and fans and start arranging things how you want before making a framework for it all.

Oh and did i mention there are cases on the too? You can find the Caselabs Magnum on there and it looks really fairly-well detailed. It's even got the separate mobo tray as its own assembly and comes with a variety of doors and panels to turn on or off.

I spent time overy the weekend downloading .step files and converting it all to Inventor, and over the next few weeks I'll start blocking in some arrangements and put the images up here for feedback.

Currently my muse is the Caselabs machines as Jay''s Skunkworks build shows the benefits of that machine and I love the industrial, monolithic, sort of look it has (without a window it could look at home in a warehouse or factory, scaled up it could look like a transformer or something) while still looking pretty epic an definitely shows off the machine and cooling when the window is used. Think I'll basically take the ergonomics and volumes of that case as a strating template but do my own thing with the arrangement and arrive at hopefully something valid.

So yeah it will probably be $2-300 in aluminum, and a fuckload of time, and probably not quite as pristine, but it will be my own creation and not $800.
  • I still want to try and build a pc with an ammo can for a case.
  • Yeah ammo can (assuming the ubiquitous .50 cal can) would be a great LAN rig or HTPC build or something that can go real small. Might buy a little more real estate for a serious machine with a 40mm shell can. Also interesting starting points: Jerry can, Mortar shell can, something Russian or German, etc.
  • SWATrous said:

Might buy a little more real estate for a serious machine with a 40mm shell can..

Shit, that's practically a full tower with a handle on.
  • Instead of ammo, how about one of those huge spare fuel canisters for Jeeps/hummers?
  • Yeah a Jerry Can, those make great staring points for funky projects, you can buy em brand new or get some real interesting surplus, there pretty stout, and they're pretty cool looking to boot.

Also, this whole concept of a case with the mob rotated 90 degrees so I can get wrap around windows and have separate compartments and what not...

Look what literally just came out:

http://techreport.com/news/31018/thermaltake-tower-900-series-case-gives-water-tower-new-meaning

Hmm. Looks huge. I think the overall concept is sound but this implementation is a bit, hmm; reminds me of like the AggroCraig as a pinball machine or something.
  • Apreche said:

Instead of ammo, how about one of those huge spare fuel canisters for Jeeps/hummers?

It'd work, though you'd want to be careful with a used one, make sure it was cleaned properly - petrol fumes are somewhat known for their flammability, or so I'm told, and you're going to have to cut into it.

The only thing you'd have to think around about would be the thickness - An ammo tin is already pushing it, but unless you mounted it vertically instead of horizontally, most modern video cards you'd use for gaming are going to be too wide(deep?), even before you include the spacer pins for the mobo. Not a big challenge, but something to keep in mind.
  • Churba said:

Apreche said:

Instead of ammo, how about one of those huge spare fuel canisters for Jeeps/hummers?

It'd work, though you'd want to be careful with a used one, make sure it was cleaned properly - petrol fumes are somewhat known for their flammability, or so I'm told, and you're going to have to cut into it.

The only thing you'd have to think around about would be the thickness - An ammo tin is already pushing it, but unless you mounted it vertically instead of horizontally, most modern video cards you'd use for gaming are going to be too wide(deep?), even before you include the spacer pins for the mobo. Not a big challenge, but something to keep in mind.
    I imagine you would start by slicing it in half.
  • Of course it already exists. And wow, it's a great idea for BYOPC LAN party with that handle.
  • edited December 2016
    Apreche said:

I imagine you would start by slicing it in half.

You could, but it'd be a pain in the arse. Like above, just cut a side out, You don't need the perspex, you can just keep the metal side and add some screw tabs, or even a hinge and a clip.

Though, you could always take most of the exterior parts off an existing mini-case, cut the can down the middle, and then use the mini-case guts, just bolt the Jerry bits on the outside as a new outer case, you could get away without having to build a lot of internal structure.
    Post edited by Churba on