This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Meta Moment Fodder

edited August 2010 in Everything Else
So being that NerdNYC is blocked at work, and since Rym & Scott have an appreciation NYC events, I figured this would be the next best place to share these links:

I'm always on the lookout for the best source of information on city events, since I feel obligated to try my hardest to take advantage of all that NYC has to offer, since many people live where no such opportunity exists. This website makes excellent use of a Google calendar to catalog all upcoming events that are even remotely geeky: http://nerdyorkcity.com/
I became aware of this b/c it is a recently-launched side project by a Reed Exhibitions employee, who has been regulary promoting the site through the official Reed Expo blog's (MediumAtLarge.net) twitter.

Also, a friend sent me a link to this today and it looks interesting: Mitsuwa Summer Festival
http://www.mitsuwa.com/event/eevent.php?e=39

Comments

• Yeah, already know these things.

Anyone have similar links for other cities? I would like to help people find geeky things to do around the world.
  • edited August 2010
    Closest thing I can find to any nerd/geek groups in the Chicago area is http://www.chicagonerds.com/, which is apparently still an active group.

Google turns up somewhere between "Jack" and "Squat" for the St. Louis area other than computer repair shops or pages for events that have already happened. Same thing for Indianapolis. Given that they're two of the larger metro areas in the Mid-West (and Indy hosts GenCon!), one would think that there would be at least something out there for geek groups.

EDIT: Hell, searching for stuff in the Champaign-Urbana area turned up diddly as well. One would think that with having the NCSA and the university located in the city there would be a bit more of a web presence for the local geek/nerd constituency.
    Post edited by Techparadox on
  • I tried to find one for D.C. I might need to make it. I did find a thing called Nerdnite which is about the science of beer and some rock bands.
  • I tried to find one for D.C. I might need to make it. I did find a thing calledNerdnitewhich is about the science of beer and some rock bands.
    If they only changed rock to metal, that would be so up Pete's alley.
  • I tried to find one for D.C. I might need to make it. I did find a thing calledNerdnitewhich is about the science of beer and some rock bands.
    I would absolutely go to DC just for this.
    If they only changed rock to metal, that would be so up Pete's alley.
    I was just thinking that. It's actually apart of Beer Week here I think.
  • edited August 2010
    Mitsuwa Summer Festival? Damn... I may have to go to that this weekend but where the hell do I park? Are there any public parking lots near the store?
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on