This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Twin Hexacore Computers.

edited August 2010 in Everything Else
Rym & Scott have traditionally derided the "core race" so I suspect they might not approve of this.

B_ILThSsTrs

Comments

• Rym & Scott have traditionally derided the "core race" so I suspect they might not approve of this.
    I would approve if you could tell me what practical purpose such a computer serves.
  • Yep, I'm sure we all feel quite inadequate.
  • edited August 2010
    I would approve if you could tell me what practical purpose such a computer serves.
    If that were the only justifiable reason to do anything, the world would be a very, very boring place.

Example - What's the practical purpose of, say, a manga written by Tezuka? It would have been more practical, and done more direct and quantifiable good if he'd simply practised medicine instead. Or a Scrooge McDuck comic? It would have been more practical and sensible for Carl Barks to keep on a single job, make it his trade. Karaoke, or for that matter, a song?
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Example - What's the practical purpose of, say, a manga written by Tezuka? Or a Scrooge McDuck comic? Karaoke?
    The computer isn't art, it's a tool. If they want to present it as art, as some do, I will have no complaints.
  • edited August 2010
    Que Scott's comment about how CPUs are different and that there' no point to this because few if any programs just use this many threads of execution.

EDIT: damn, not quick enough on the draw.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Example - What's the practical purpose of, say, a manga written by Tezuka? Or a Scrooge McDuck comic? Karaoke?
    Oh please, can we stop with the fucking strawman arguments?
  • Oh please, can we stop with the fucking strawman arguments?
    But they burn so pretty. ^_^
  • Utterly ridiculous, but damn that case looks awesome.
  • Alright, move the bitchcake bakesale elsewhere.

That computer is pretty stonking; Are you going to go into how you plan to sync your home and work computers? Is it just going to be syncing the documents or are you going to do more?
    Also, if you're going to do gaming on it, does that mean Steam, and, if so, can you join the Geeknights Steam group.
  • edited August 2010
    The computer isn't art, it's a tool. If they want to present it as art, as some do, I will have no complaints.
    I doubt they were making a Twin Hexacore computer for any practical purpose, just to prove that they could, or because they could. Just to DO it. They did something cool, and they're showing it off, that's good enough, I think. They don't need to be exactly curing cancer with everything they do, here.
    It's not art, sure, but if I build and tune a 500 BHP engine, that's not art, nor is it entirely practical, but I'm going to show it off, because I worked hard on it, I'd think it was cool, and I have a good reason to think that others might find it pretty cool, too.
    Oh please, can we stop with the fucking strawman arguments?
    Down, Puppy, It's not an argument, you can quit barking. If I didn't agree with Scott that it's not really practical, I would have said so. I'm just saying that it's not directly practical isn't always a good reason not to do something, and providing a few examples of such. I just picked examples off the top of my head that, if I remember correctly, Scott likes. If I was speaking to pete, I'd include beer, or if I was speaking to Geo, I'd say something about film - you get what I'm saying?
    It's just a tailored example to illustrate the point, chill the fuck out.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I do look at this like a 500 hp V12, amazing achievement.
  • I do look at this like a 500 hp V12, amazing achievement.
    Oh yes. Most definitely yes.

And when he's not using it, it could be curing cancer like nobodies business.
  • Down, Puppy, It's not an argument, you can quit barking. If I didn't agree with Scott that it's not really practical, I would have said so. I'm just saying that it's not directly practical isn't always a good reason not to do something, and providing a few examples of such. I just picked examples off the top of my head that, if I remember correctly, Scott likes. If I was speaking to pete, I'd include beer, or if I was speaking to Geo, I'd say something about film - you get what I'm saying?
    It's just a tailored example to illustrate the point, chill the fuck out.
    Condescension aside, you took a benign statement that is easily comprehended and exaggerated it. Once again, Churba the contrarian rears his ugly head every time Scott makes a point. The act is old and tired by this point, you are like those little kids out on the playground who specifically look to pick a fight.
  • Condescension aside, you took a benign statement that is easily comprehended and exaggerated it. Once again, Churba the contrarian rears his ugly head every time Scott makes a point.
    What, so I'm meant to just agree with everything everyone says? If I don't, I'm a troll or contrarian?

Excuse the unholy fuck outta me for having an opinion you don't agree with, oh lord high fuckin' emperor of all he surveys. I'll be sure to just be quiet and cower in my corner next time, I wouldn't want to be a contrarian for not sharing everybody's views.

As for picking a fight? If I wanted to pick a fight, I'd have picked a fight - Kinda like you did, by just leading in with an attack. I mean, hey, it's not like you didn't address the point at all, or have simply posted in the thread to lay out insults. Oh, wait a minute...

If I disagree with something, I'm going to say so, I'm not going to sit down and cower with my mouth shut just because your arrogant arse thinks that I'm just being a contrarian - Because OBVIOUSLY no reasonable, intelligent person could POSSIBLY hold something so heretical as a dissenting opinion.

Long story short - Fuck off, princess. You've got your response exactly in kind, now, and that's enough effort spent. I'm not interested in your whinging, so quit wasting the metaphorical breath. I don't always agree with everything everyone says, and I've got just as much right and ability to say so as anyone else. Fucking deal with it.
  • bitchcake bakesale
    I am stealing this phrase.
  • LOL, I went to a fight and a computer thread broke out...

I'm hoping to edit and post part 2 soon, but one thing I want to clear up is that these are 2 computers. I have one at home and one at work. They are twins. I'm essentially creating my own cloud where I have access to all the data I have ever created in life 24/7 either at one of the machines or on my iPad as a thin client to either of the machines. As I said in the video, there may be cheaper ways to do this, but so far it has been extremely effective.
  • Hilarious arguments and a badass computer. This is a good thread, I think. I'll have to hop onto something with flash support (not my DSi) and watch the video.
  • Videos like this make me wish I still used a desktop just so I could build one.
  • these are 2 computers. I have one at home and one at work. They are twins. I'm essentially creating my own cloud where I have access to all the data I have ever created in life 24/7 either at one of the machines or on my iPad as a thin client to either of the machines.
    That's a pretty good idea. If you had a third location in the cloud that had itself links to both of these computers, you could start to do really cool stuff.
  • That's a pretty good idea.
    Yes, but it can be accomplished easily with just one core, per machine. Then again, doesn't Thaed have a Porsche he never drives?
  • edited August 2010
    They still make single core processors?
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • They still make single core processors?
    Yeah, you can get the intel Atom in single core, but they're mostly for netbooks and mobile devices, if I remember correctly. Someone with more knowledge on the topic will be correcting me in 3...2...1...
  • edited August 2010
    OBVIOUSLY, you are a moron for forgetting the ARM processors, which are also single core
    Post edited by Neito on
  • mobile devices
  • Part Deux.