This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20100817 - Expansion Packs

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Hey! Me and my dad are planning on submitting essentially this episode as a panel for Connecticon 2010. Also, I'm working on revised rules for Monopoly to include pieces fromthisCollege Humor article. My plan is that it would make Monopoly into a genuinely good game because you would make choices about what to do with property instead of just building houses whenever you can. I think that would be an expansion because it is building off of an existing game, or if it is modifying the game to the point where it is a mod, but it sounds like a lot of fun.
    Wow, this actually sounds like a very intriguing set of house rules. Please gametest for a few months and then report back. The notion of being able to fuck over other players and have variable income generators adds an interesting twist. It's sort of like Knightmare Chess for Monopoly.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Speaking of expansion your description of the BSG board game was missing the expansion....which fixes the issues that you had with the game. I know I posted a video play through of the game with the expansion a while back and would point you to check that out if you had a good time with BSG.
  • expansion... which fixes the issues that you had with the game.
    I'm aware of the expansion. It seems to add fun elements that are probably sub-optimal to use (or necessary to use, and thus uninteresting), and doesn't address my core problems with the game.
  • [11:10] doc shinryuu: ...
    [11:10] doc shinryuu: Y'know what?
    [11:11] Neito: No, what?
    [11:11] doc shinryuu: Considering that it wound up being an addition to its western counterpart...
    [11:11] doc shinryuu: ...Would PAX East be considered... an Expansion PAX...?

I need new friends.
  • PAX East is a sequel, not an expansion.
  • PAX East is a sequel, not an expansion.
    Sequel implies that it replaces and improves upon the original...

I guess you're right. Best Coast and all. ^_~
  • Sequel implies that it replaces and improves upon the original...
    There are very few sequels that are never as good as the original. ^______~
  • There are very few sequels that are never as good as the original. ^______~
    PAX East is Empire Strikes Back.
  • PAX East is Empire Strikes Back.
    Are you sure it's not Matrix Reloaded?
  • PAX East is Empire Strikes Back.
    Are you sure it's not Matrix Reloaded?
    What's the Matrix Reloaded?
  • What's the Matrix Reloaded?
    A movie that was never made due to the unfortunate deaths of all involved. Much like Shamalon's planned "Avatar" movie.

Such tragic deaths.
  • Around 36 minutes Rym had the same audio problem Scott has been having. I'm guessing you switched the inputs around or something?
    Ah snap!
    It sounded like a different problem to me.
  • @Rym: Does that mean The Return of The Jedi was acted entirely by zombies/clones?
  • No, it means the third PAX will be inhabited by short, pudgy, hairy creatures....
  • No, it means the third PAX will be inhabited by Muppets.
    Ftfy
  • And now that I've listened to it, my thoughts:

It sounds to me like A Thousand and One Nights is just what it describes in its title - it's essentially "Scheherazade, the game"

Billiards versus pool - You talking Carom Billiards or English Billiards? Which version of pool? Eight-ball, Nine-ball, 14-1? I may not be able to play any of them worth a damn, but I know the rules. *grin*

As far as checking out games in prison goes, if someone swiped the dice they could be used for illicit gaming elsewhere. Or, in theory, you could use them as a weapon if you packed enough of them into a sock. *shrug*

Regarding the cheap Kindle prices: I'm not going near a Kindle until they support a larger list of open formats. If they start supporting ePub then I might consider it.

On MTG expansions: I'd say the game is the actual main set. Unlimited was the game, you just didn't get all the pieces at once when you bought it. The expansions were the expansions - Arabian Nights, Dark, Fallen Empires, etc.

For Scott - There was a Pokemon board game, back in '99

Oh yeah, the "simultaneously" thing... once was funny, twice was lame, more than that was just annoying
  • For Scott -There was a Pokemon board game, back in '99
    Oh my god, I had that game.
    I still have it!!
    I still have it!!
    Same. Spoilers: It was awful.

I also have Pokemon Monopoly.
    I still have it!!
    Same. Spoilers:It was awful.

I also have Pokemon Monopoly.
    ...wut...I...do too. I'm kinda scared right now.
  • I never had Pokemon Monopoly, but my family had a copy of Baltimore Monopoly that we never played.
  • Interesting fact, the town I grew up in, Trumbull, CT, made its own game. It played a lot like Monopoly, but not exactly. All the things on the board were, of course, things in the town. Most of them were sponsored spots, it was a fundraiser. Think of it like paying for a placemat from a local diner that happens to also be a board game. It's not on board game geek. I know some people who probably still have a copy. I'll see if I can get photos at some point, probably not for awhile.
  • edited August 2010
    Haven't listened to the show, but here are my thoughts on expansions:

I see many expansions as a waste of money when you compare price to "game enhancement". A typical game costs $50.00. A typical expansion costs $20-25. If there are games you would like to purchase (and there always are), an expansion is only worth its price if it gives you additional entertainment equal to approximately half that of a new game. IMHO, I would much rather purchase an entirely new game than two typical expansions. Most expansions make an already good game only slightly better.

There are, however, some expansion purchases that I have been able to justify. It's a matter of personal taste. I tend to gravitate toward expansions that add extra playtime to a game, rather than those that merely enhance a game. For example, I own some of the Memoir '44 expansions. Yes, they enhance the game by adding armies with slightly different characteristics as well as slightly different terrain. But they also give you more scenarios. This increases your ability to actually play the game. While there are scenarios available online for free, many require the expansion packs. These expansion packs prevent an otherwise good game from becoming redundant. The same can be said for Combat Commander expansions, which are well worth the investment.

The other type of expansions that I tend to purchase are those that fix a flawed game. For example, the expansion to Ticket to Ride contains bigger cards. The original cards are too small. The bigger cards improve the playing experience exponentially.

Along the same lines, I am generally reluctant to purchase subsequent titles in a "series". As much as I like Ticket to Ride (and that's up for debate), I would never purchase all of the titles in the series. Is Ticket to Ride Europe really worth the $50 if I already own the original? IMHO, it is not.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • edited August 2010
    Is Ticket to Ride Europe really worth the $50 if I already own the original? IMHO, it is not.
    Yeah, I also have a big problem with the TTR sequels. They could just sell additional map boards for $5 each. Instead, they come up with some new rules, which are mostly crappy, as an excuse to sell an entire new game. They should learn from Power Grid which just sells a deck of power plant cards and a map board.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I listened to the show on my drive back from Virginia yesterday. I kept thinking "they spent time watching Babylon 5? What the hell?"
    I admire R&S's ability to stick with gaming over the long term. I played Agricola once but I couldn't even get through 1 game of Settlers. It just doesn't hold my attention. I would much rather be doing something that makes money or confers some sort of advantage to me in life. That sounds a lot harsher than I mean. I really do envy them for being able to get even an iota of happiness from board games and it was interesting to hear them talk about it as I drove home.
  • edited August 2010
    I would much rather be doing something that makes money or confers some sort of advantage to me in life.
    He who dies with the most money wins!!!!!
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • I listened to the show on my drive back from Virginia yesterday. I kept thinking "they spent time watching Babylon 5? What the hell?"
    I admire R&S;'s ability to stick with gaming over the long term. I played Agricola once but I couldn't even get through 1 game of Settlers. It just doesn't hold my attention. I would much rather be doing something that makes money or confers some sort of advantage to me in life. That sounds a lot harsher than I mean. I really do envy them for being able to get even an iota of happiness from board games and it was interesting to hear them talk about it as I drove home.
    To get maximum enjoyment from that kind of game you have to have many things. You have to want to win, badly. You have to try to win with all your brain. You have to like trying to figure out the game with all your brain. You have to make and enjoy jokes about sheep and wood. You have to have enough other people to play with for whom these are also true. It's not for everybody.
  • I'm not sure if you would consider supplemental books for RPG's to be Expansion Packs, but I think they a better "bang for your buck" then most boardgames Expansion Packs.

NOSTALGIC RANT: I fucking miss AD&D box sets with with all the extra bits. Who decided to stop making those? Fuck that dude! The "Ruins of Myth Drannor" was by far my favorite. I'm not saying it was the best, but I DM'd the hell out of those adventures. Maps, Monsters and Major Artifacts,,, Ooohhh My!!!
  • The "Ruins of Myth Drannor" was by far my favorite. I'm not saying it was the best, but I DM'd the hell out of those adventures. Maps, Monsters and Major Artifacts,,, Ooohhh My!!!
    Hey, do you still have your old 2nd ed Realms boxed stuff? We may want to bust them out just to get some ideas, or to convert some stuff. I've never actually run modules before; it might be fun to take a module and Burning Wheel it.
  • I didn't watch all of Babylon 5, but what I watched of it, I liked.

I'm not a board or pencil and paper gamer, but I imagined that the Front Row Crew would be more immersed in a role playing game than how you reported it. Sound like you all have to have people go into the game technology free: no cell phones, no nothing, except for a clock.