This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The galaxy needs YOU!

edited August 2010 in Video Games
I came across this game, Shores of Hazeron, about a week ago. It's in beta, free to play, buggy, has a Dwarf Fortress-esq learning curve, looks kind of awful in places, but damn, it's the most compelling MMO I've played EVAR. Not a fetch quest in sight. In fact, no quests at all (although it looks like there may be a player-scripted quest system in the works). Everything in the game is player-driven. There are no Non Player Characters other than city-dwellers and generic crewmen/soldiers (used to fill gaps in your ship's crew roster that aren't taken by real players). You even design and fly your own ships. You could recreate Serenity, people, or the Millennium Falcon, or the Enterprise (and plenty of people already have, if you look at the screenshots on the front page)

If I had to compare it to other games, it has the best elements of Elite, Spore, Sim City and Master of Orion. It's an MMO (but there are really only about 60-80 people playing it at a time) that takes place in a galaxy called Hazeron. The galaxy is huge. I'm not sure how many stars are supposed to be in it, but it's more than you could reasonably expect to see in a lifetime of playing.

It's played mostly in first person perspective, but you can switch to a top-down view for city building.

So here's how it goes. You either choose to join an existing Empire, or start your own.

If you join an existing empire, you are dumped at the capital, naked and wielding a very potent weapon (heh), and with a few spacebucks in your (non-existent) pocket. From there you can do what you like - wander the planet and live by your wits and survive off the land, or you can start a new colony on the planet (if the government allows it), or sign up for a crew position on somebody else's spaceship, or maybe beg the government for your own subsidised (govt. provided) ship, or earn money trading in order to buy your own ship. Whatever interests you.

But maybe you have higher ambitions...

If you start your own empire, you get to create your own race, its political system, set taxes, appoint officials (other players) etc, and you get a whole virgin planet (and solar system) to develop. That's where the Sim City/Civilization elements come in. It's time consuming without being grindy. The game moves along at a reasonable clip, and you can have a city of a few hundred (NPC) people up and running in a couple of days of play, and have functional starships not long after that.

This is about as far as I've gone in the game. In my first empire, I got to the point where I needed a mineral for creating anti-gravity drives that only exists on airless, cold moons. Problem was, my system didn't have any of those. Derp. In my next (and current) empire, I found the necessary elements and was able to build a basic, low-tech starship. Yay. And with that ship, last night I found the holy grail of Hazeron exploration - a Ringworld. Fuck yeah. And they are really impressive. While nothing in the game is to a "realistic" scale (hence the comparison to Spore - it has that kind of planetary scale, maybe slightly bigger), a whole ringworld has more land than I could ever use. So while I could colonise it (it's only about 6 jumps from my home system), without other players, I couldn't possibly exploit it fully, or defend it.

That's where you come in.

I need fellow players to fill in gaps in my hierarchy. I need a couple of sector administrators, a few system administrators and several world and city rulers, and most importantly, an heir. As a dictatorship, I need a co-ruler who would take over in the event of my unfortunate demise (or if I get tired of running things). I'm not sure how to determine who that would be, but I suppose we'll figure that out later.

The other option is that if there is enough interest, we could start an entirely new empire (BTW, empire is the generic term for a government - doesn't have to be a dictatorship, there are several options), called, I dunno, Frontrowcrewforumia or something. The only downside is that it will take a while to get to the point where we can recruit people other than the leader. But the big upside is that everyone gets a chance to build their own cities, learn how the game works while helping each other out, and begin trading with each other, which means we all get really rich before we open the doors to the public.

Is anyone interested in either option? I'd really enjoy conquering the galaxy with you guys and gals. If you're worried about time commitment, don't be. You can be on as little or as much as you like, although a couple of uber-committed Sector Administrators would be awesome.

Comments

• edited August 2010
    If my sector gets a LEXX, I might be in. I have a thing for administrating games with Exterminatus as a constant threat.

Also, as a vizier in your grand dictatorship, I would have no problem with the establishment of horrific slave worlds, genocide, xenocide, the bulldozing of inhabited systems for shipping lanes, and the establishment of a cult of personality. All for the emprah. Actually, I'd like a Sector that's a horrific cross between The World of Progress, the 40k Imperium, and the Termight Empire from Nemesis the Warlock, where happiness is not a word and the suns do not shine so much as oppress.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • If my sector gets a LEXX, I might be in.
    As far as ships go, if you design it and build it, it's yours, but sadly, you can only build ships 172m3 at maximum, so it would have to be a scale model of LEXX, but still, that's a freaking huge ship.
    Also, as a vizier in your grand dictatorship, I would have no problem with the establishment of horrific slave worlds, genocide, xenocide, the bulldozing of inhabited systems for shipping lanes, and the establishment of a cult of personality. All for the emprah. Actually, I'd like a Sector that's a horrific cross betweenThe World of Progress, the 40k Imperium, and the Termight Empire from Nemesis the Warlock, where happiness is not a word and the suns do not shine so much asoppress.
    If you create a colony in an unnamed sector or system, you get to name it - set the tone for future colonists, as it were. And on the cities you create, you have the choice of any or all of the following: let your citizens live in blissful harmony, tax the shit out of them, have them collect radioactive ore with their bare hands, kill them randomly as they work and steal their clothes and butcher their corpses for meat and leather, and deny shipments of air to a moon colony just for lawlz. Up to you entirely.
  • edited August 2010
    Some pics from the Byzagul Empire (my empire)

A Byzagul helmsman at his station on the bridge of the flagship, Byzag's Pride:
    (If you play in this empire, your character will look exactly like this)

The aforementioned flagship, front view:

The ringworld:

Beautiful downtown Byzag City:
    Post edited by thaneofcawdor on
  • My god this game looks fugly. Ah well, this sounds so interesting and cool the way you describe it but often times these sorts of games don't live up to the potential.
  • Gotta at least try it to see what it's all about.
  • My god this game looks fugly.
    If graphics are all a player cares about, then this game isn't for them. I get the impression that the engine is based off a CAD/CAM tool, and probably a really old one, but I've been led to believe that most of the assets in the game are placeholders, so there's a slight chance it will eventually look better. But once you're out in space it looks pretty neat.
    Ah well, this sounds so interesting and cool the way you describe it but often times these sorts of games don't live up to the potential.
    It is pretty cool, and I urge you to try it. There's really nothing else like it - if this game had much better visual elements and interface polish, it would be pretty much what we all wanted from the space stage of Spore. Also, you get to walk around in a spaceship while it's flying! That's super amazing, right?

Here, enjoy this video of some gameplay:
  • Oh mans, this game looks so horrible that it might run on my laptop. Trying.
  • Gotta at least try it to see what it's all about.
    That's the spirit. It may piss you off, being all laggy and crash prone (if it crashes, update your video card drivers, it stopped me from crashing every 5 minutes whenever I did some constructin' or ship design.), but it is a really ambitious game.

Also, I'll open my empire, "Byzagul Empire" for new players. It should be on the drop-down list when you create a new character in Join Another Empire mode.
  • This looks interesting. I look forward to joining The Crab People Empire tonight.
  • This looks interesting. I look forward to joining The Crab People Empire tonight.
    Oh no, the Byzagul Empire is entirely metrosexual! We're fucked.
  • edited August 2010
    Game is unplayably laggy. Call me when that's fixed.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Game is unplayably laggy. Call me when that's fixed.
    That happens from time to time. I have a high tolerance for malarkey, but I understand if others don't. It's fine now, BTW, but who knows for how long.

P.S. I skinned and ate your trainer guy. He was delicious.
  • That happens from time to time. I have a high tolerance for malarkey, but I understand if others don't. It's fine now, BTW, but who knows for how long.
    It's not fine now. I just tried, and it was just as bad.
    P.S. I skinned and ate your trainer guy. He was delicious.
    I didn't even know I had a trainer guy.
  • It's not fine now. I just tried, and it was just as bad.
    It's no worse for me than the video I posted earlier. Sadly it doesn't get much better than that right now. Thanks for trying, anyway.
    I didn't even know I had a trainer guy.
    He's fairly useless. Most people who know the game immediately kill him and eat him. All he does is tell you how to look around, move, and use the comm system, he gives you a torch, and then stands still until something kills him.
  • Well, it doesn't run on my laptop. Or at least, it cannot find openal even after installing from source.
  • Well, it doesn't run on my laptop. Or at least, it cannot find openal even after installing from source.
    What are you running it on?
  • Alright, I'm done for the day, but if you join Byzagul Empire before I'm back on, there are 4 brand spanking new starships waiting for captains. If they're all gone before I return, there's an unlimited supply of rockets (you just have to wait a minute for the next one to be built) just a bit further down the road, so go crazy and crash those silver peeners into something. Read the manual on the website to work out how flight works. And don't forget to sell your Vulcium knife (for about 17000 bucks) before you do anything crazy: if you die, you drop one of your possessions before you respawn back at the town centre, and it would more than likely be that outrageously expensive knife. Just buy a cheap replacement metal one to do any impromptu skinning and butchering of your foes, and buy a rifle and some ammo to do the killing.
  • Wow, a game so bad that not even the goons are playing it. I love horrible games, I'll try it out when I get back from work.
  • Wow, a game so bad that not even the goons are playing it.
    It's new. They'll get there eventually. They always do. They turned griefing in Spacestation 13 into a science, and I imagine once they find out about this one, they'll do the same to it.
    edited August 2010
    What are you running it on?
    Dumbuntu of course. Besides, even if I did manage to get it running, the system requirements are quite ridiculous and I'm skirting the minimum of minimum with integrated graphics.
    They turned griefing in Spacestation 13 into a science
    GOOOOOOOOOOOD, I so desperately wanted to play that, but they don't have a fucking Linux client. Server, sure, client, nada.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Dumbuntu of course.
    Seems you might be SOL.
  • Yeah, it's in the same boat as Spacestation 13 now, fuck it.
  • I'm trying out Spacestation 13; I think an FRCF spacestation could have a lot of success.
  • I'm trying out Spacestation 13; I think an FRCF spacestation could have a lot of success.
    The game is laggy as fuck. It's almost impossible to walk around normally.
    The game is laggy as fuck. It's almost impossible to walk around normally.
    What a shame. It's such a good concept, too.
  • What a shame. It's such a good concept, too.
    The lag is only important when you try and shoot a guy or arrest a griefer, and if you're on a Goonstation, that's pretty much the most useful thing a player can do. Otherwise, lag is just an irritant that you should be able to adapt to. Like Hazeron, there are no other games like it.
  • Remember when we said that games that can't even fill the functioning and playable level of the good game pyramid get very little play time?
  • So, has anyone else tried it yet? If so, what did you think?
  • So, has anyone else tried it yet? If so, what did you think?
    No inverted mouse makes Scott Cry.

also the controls are well.. fucking crazy annoying... plus doing anyhing in the world is crazy annoying...

It was awesome ;-p
  • No inverted mouse makes Scott Cry.
    Dealbreaker. Fuck that game.