This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Minecraft - First Person Dwarf Fortress.... Kinda

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Paypal fees.
    Eh, that 12% fades to nothing compared to the 50+% Swedish tax. Out of every purchase he gets like 4 Euro or so.
    Dat tax. (Fifth paragraph.)
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Still, guys. Post-taxes and fees, that's 400k euro. That's more than some doctors in the US make in 2 years of practice. And it's just an alpha.
  • edited September 2010
    Alright, so I played at a friend's house for the first time tonight. The best way I can put what this game offers is like this: Remember when you were a little kid, and your parents brought home legos, and for HOURS you'd just build whatever came into your mind? Minecraft is that, plus survival-horror and a bit of electrical engineering. It brilliantly succeeds in harnessing your desire to create and turning it into a reason to play. I started playing at 11pm last night and didn't stop until 6am.

I made a glass factory in one of my rooms and built a giant greenhouse atop my mountain lair, then started filling it with trees so that I could harvest wood at night. It was awesome.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • built a giant greenhouse atop my mountain lair, then started filling it with trees so that I could harvest wood at night.
    You can also till dirt with a hoe to get seeds and tilled land, then plant those seeds in the tilled land. After a while it'll grow into wheat for bread.
  • You can also till dirt with a hoe to get seeds and tilled land, then plant those seeds in the tilled land. After a while it'll grow into wheat for bread.
    Need water for that though.
  • You can also till dirt with a hoe to get seeds and tilled land, then plant those seeds in the tilled land. After a while it'll grow into wheat for bread.
    Need water for that though.
    Redstone circuits for irrigation gates.
  • Redstone circuits for irrigation gates.
    Or just water between the fields. That also allows for the growing of paper.
  • edited September 2010
    I feel like a marsupial mole with a glass fetish. Many of my tunnels have transparent ceilings that support a strangely lightweight water column...
    Post edited by Casa Vino on
  • edited September 2010
    I feel like a marsupial mole with a glass fetish. Many of my tunnels have transparent ceilings that support a strangely lightweight water column...
    I'm a big fan of glass. I build lofts and turn them to glass factories in my lairs. Greenhouses and houses made from glass, when lit with torches, really act as beacons. You don't have to worry about losing them.

If Notch adds an airplane, I will lose my shit.
  • edited September 2010
    Let's get a server going for real. Can anyone host anything reliable?

IP: 98.230.90.6 for now.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • Decided last night to construct a subway loop under my castle complex. It needs a little work (mainly the removal of a giant hill,) but I think I'm going to end up with at least two lines below ground and two above ground before its done.
  • I am having problems finding enough iron, do you just dig "brute force" down?
  • edited September 2010
    The best strategy to collect iron, redstone, and diamond early on is to wait til morning. Once the sun rises, craft about 8 stone pickaxes and make sure you have about 64 extra dirt in your inventory. Dig straight down in a chosen spot, only stopping and spreading out when you find a resource vein to tap. Once you've hit adminium, pillar up back to the surface.

Once you have minecarts, iron tools, armor and weapons, you can start on massive, high-yield mines without worrying about creepers and stuff.
  • I usually just start digging diagonally down in a direction until I hit a cave, then search around that for veins, or monster generators, repeat.
  • edited September 2010
    That works too. According to a friend of mine, if you can find a creeper cave, building a drowning machine there is a fantastic way to harvest crazy amounts of gunpowder really fast. Kill all the creepers with arrows, bomb out a nice big clearing, build the drowner, and then get into the box when the creepers respawn.

ALSO: You guys might have to wait about a week, but the monster tower in my apartment is on virtually all day and has more than enough horsepower to run a server in addition to whatever else I need to run. I can make this happen.
  • I've been running mine overnight and it seems to be stable. Once you get up to a certain amount of stuff going on, the server craps out though. I think it's the netcode. The engine will start generating incomplete chunks and we ended up getting a huge chasm in the ground.

That being said, it's an interesting concept and I'd like to see what happens with more people building stuff. So far ThaneofCawdor and Mgrh (Grr?) are the only two in the logs on my server (IP: 98.230.90.6), but a much more reliable one would be good. The server definitely caps out my Core2Duo 2.66.
    edited September 2010
    HEY!! HEY GAIZ!! LOOK HERE, I THINK I FOUND A SOLUTION TO OUR CREEPER PROBLEM!!

WHAT? WHAT DO YOU MEAN THERE ARE NO CREEPERS YET? WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH ALL THESE TORCHES?

EDIT:
    Post edited by ... on
  • I have had no trouble connecting to Vhdbloods server. Waterslide win.
  • edited September 2010
    I got a copy and am definitely intrigued. Though I'll have to wiki what the item crafting combos are.

I added some art to Torchpoint.
  • Had a bunch of fun. Server went down at 4:02AM UK time.
  • edited September 2010
    Sorry about the server going down. I forgot to set-up a static local IP. When I forwarded the ports, I did it for 192.168.1.6, but the router got reset and gave me 192.168.1.9, so minecrafts' port closed. All is good for now.
  • edited September 2010
    Current aim is to work out what to look for to find iron, then, to set up a system to bring lots of wood underground (I'm thinking powered carts.) so that we can build without worrying about running out of coal.
  • On the server? Are we going to try to play one for real? I was using blocks I spawned for myself to build the glass house. :P
  • One piece of coal will always smelt 8 items. If you find a reliable vein, or regularly scout it, we won't have to worry too much. Wood is always needed, though. So is iron; look for something like coal but with brown speckles instead of black, and then fire it to get ingots.

Diamond and redstone will be handy soon. We should team up and lead creeper hunts to get a good stock of gunpowder for TNT going; we'll be able to find and mine resources crazy fast with that.
  • edited September 2010
    No creepers and no working furnaces without a mod AFAIK. No monsters at all actually.
  • edited September 2010
    I just upgraded the server with a mod that adds kits and things. Fleshing it out now.

Edit: Added kits for large amounts of common building material. Also gave a few of the players mod status. If you'd like it let me know.
    edited September 2010
    The "Smooth Stone" and "Wooden Planks" kits don't work. Also, furnaces are still bust, and with the loss of "/iron" we cannot make minetracks or carts.
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited September 2010
    The "Smooth Stone" and "Wooden Planks" kits don't work. Also, furnaces are still bust, and with the loss of "/iron" we cannot make minetracks or carts.
    I heard that you can get a hacked flint and tinder to light the furnaces, so I'll look into that. Otherwise, I fixed those kits and added some basic resource kits, plus one with minecarts and one with minecart tracks.
  • I heard that you can get a hacked flint and tinder to light the furnaces, so I'll look into that. Otherwise, I fixed those kits and added some basic resource kits, plus one with minecarts and one with minecart tracks.
    Righto, let's see. There was a minecart down in the mine, but that thing spassed out the moment I touched it. Eventually the entire server spassed out. Which was to be expected, boats work, but minecards in multiplayer are bugged.
  • I heard that you can get a hacked flint and tinder to light the furnaces, so I'll look into that. Otherwise, I fixed those kits and added some basic resource kits, plus one with minecarts and one with minecart tracks.
    Righto, let's see. There was a minecart down in the mine, but that thing spassed out the moment I touched it. Eventually the entire server spassed out. Which was to be expected, boats work, but minecards in multiplayer are bugged.
    When we tried, I could not see casa_vino's boat and he could not see mine. Also, Minecarts definitely don't work.

I'd like to see someone else host a server just to see if we get the same bugs. I continually have connection issues and server lag.