This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Minecraft - First Person Dwarf Fortress.... Kinda

Comments

edited September 2010
    I bought the full version, finally.
    I'm sorry for the loss of your money.
    Post edited by ... on
  • the servers are overloaded
    Now, I wonder if Libsyn would let you use them for software releases.
  • I beat the game of minecraft. I found a whole in the bottom of the world.
    A whole what?
    A whole what?
    One of these wholes.
    A whole what?
    Post edited to account for my disability. =)
  • Minecraft Alpha is temporarily free.

Nab it while you can; Notch made it free to play until the server gets migrated and rewritten. Have at it! Lose your lives to the mines!
  • edited September 2010
    Nab it while you can; Notch made it free to play until the server gets migrated and rewritten. Have at it! Lose your lives to the mines!
    I tried to take advantage of this, but most of the servers listed on the official forums had notices to the effect of "Our servers couldn't take the strain of all these people playing now that it's free, so we're closed until you have to start paying again".

Most of the ones I could actually get into were mostly filled with clouds of people running around annihilating everything in sight while other folk shouted "Oh fuck, there's too many of them. I can't ban them fast enough! For every one I ban, two take its place! It's the motherfucking end times! All our shit is destroyed! Every time I reload to an earlier state, they just break it all again! Zombies all up in the hell right now! Shoot 'em in da' head! Shoot 'em in da' head!"

The two I actually managed to get into before I gave up had painful lag and the water and doors didn't seem to function at all. I think I'm going to stick to single player.
    Post edited by Xefas on
  • So I check out this new crack since it's free and all. I proceed to build up a shit storm inclusive lava lighted underground mining dome, twenty (count em, twenty) cubes high rock cliff sky light in my main hall, floating anti gravity infinity pool, and crystal lighthouse to the clouds.

Damn, haven't had so much fun since I got my Legos back,feeling all manly and proud in my achievements, but then this trailer comes out:

and I realize that I have a long long way to go.
  • When I saw that dome and compared it to the ones I've built, I felt like a little kid who just built a soapbox car and then sees another little kid build a 3HP Kart.
  • Fuck you, exploding zombies! >:(
  • Fuck you, exploding zombies! >:(
    SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSs
  • edited September 2010
    It's great when you mine away a block and you see a creeper's face in front of you. Granted, it didn't explode on me because I moved the hell back, and it was only a one block high gap, but it was so scary. I had friends on teamspeak and they heard my cry of fear.

A friend of mine has dug directly upwards into a creeper before, though.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • "My head just exploded."
  • "My head just exploded."
  • Import your Dwarf Fortress into Minecraft and walk around in it.
    "My head just exploded."
    Imagine what would be possible if the jerk would just open source Dwarf Fortress.
  • Import your Dwarf Fortress into Minecraft and walk around in it.
    "My head just exploded."
    Imagine what would be possible if the jerk would just open source Dwarf Fortress.
    Has he ever commented on this issue at all?
  • Has he ever commented on this issue at all?
    Yeah, on our podcast.
    Yeah, on our podcast.
    What exactly did he say?
    edited September 2010
    The same that's possible without him open sourcing it. It's not like you'd participate at all in the project.
    Has he ever commented on this issue at all?
    He wants to keep control over the game as much as he can. It's his source of income. It's his IP, so he can do with it what he wants and Apreche just has to stop crying.
    Post edited by ... on
  • He wants to keep control over the game as much as he can. It's his source of income. It's his IP, so he can do with it what he wants
    Eventually an open or professional project will far surpass him.
  • Eventually an open or professional project will far surpass him.
    Maybe, if such a project ever gets off the ground.
  • This brings up an interesting point with Minecraft. Given how basic looking it is and how much of what it does is technical (The kind of thing OS people excel at.), how long do you think before it gets overtaken by an open source competitor?
    edited October 2010
    ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
    Post edited by ... on
    He wants to keep control over the game as much as he can. It's his source of income. It's his IP, so he can do with it what he wants and Apreche just has to stop crying.
    Heh.
    Heh.
    Obviously it wasn't the server software, it was his own retarded failure.
    edited October 2010
    ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
    Post edited by ... on
  • I want to import the Dwarf Fortress difference engine into minecraft. Awesome.
    edited October 2010
    Post edited by ... on