This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Minecraft - First Person Dwarf Fortress.... Kinda

Comments

• Let's build a Minecraft computer and run Dwarf Fortress with a computer running Minecraft on it.
  • You can find old saves of the Boatmurdered saga and open them in Minecraft. Was fun seeing the Fortress before and after it crumbled.
  • I caught the bug yesterday. I'm actually kinda pissed because I started one game when I didn't know what the hell I was doing. Hacked up a bunch of diamonds with a stone pick because I had no idea. I restarted, and now I've got a nice mine with a castle on top. I'll show off the castle later. It's not visually impressive, but it gets the job done, and it has a tower.
  • I caught the bug yesterday. I'm actually kinda pissed because I started one game when I didn't know what the hell I was doing. Hacked up a bunch of diamonds with a stone pick because I had no idea. I restarted, and now I've got a nice mine with a castle on top. I'll show off the castle later. It's not visually impressive, but it gets the job done, and it has a tower.
    Yeah, I saw your tweet yesterday and wondered how long this game would keep your interest. I got bored with it for about three days until I realized it wasn't a game and I shouldn't treat it as such; it's a LEGO set where you have to work to get LEGO pieces. Also, dungeons.

I'm working on building my first minecar transport system. Track is scarce until you've done a crazy amount of digging. My advice: don't waste iron on tools. Just keep 10 or so stone pickaxes on hand at all times. Iron goes to much better use elsewhere.
  • I like Minecraft. Currently on a server that keeps it to just building things and making crazy landscapes. :D
  • Also, dungeons.
    Genius. I've just sort of made my mine all willy-nilly trying to branch out and find ores, but making a dungeon to go below my castle would be teh awesome. I'm also going to try to keep adding rooms and such to the castle. If only I could get some furniture to decorate.
    Just keep 10 or so stone pickaxes on hand at all times. Iron goes to much better use elsewhere.
    That's what I've been doing. I have one or two iron picks that I use to mine ore that requires it. Otherwise, stone picks all the way.
  • I like Minecraft. Currently on a server that keeps it to just building things and making crazy landscapes. :D
    Can anyone point me to an actual survival MP server? That's what I'm really in this kind of game for.
  • Just keep 10 or so stone pickaxes on hand at all times. Iron goes to much better use elsewhere.
    That's what I've been doing. I have one or two iron picks that I use to mine ore that requires it. Otherwise, stone picks all the way.
    Same here. Until I hit a mother-lode of Iron, that shit gets stockpiled for use in mine carts and tracks, with the occasional bucket for lava transport.
    Also, dungeons.
    Genius. I've just sort of made my mine all willy-nilly trying to branch out and find ores, but making a dungeon to go below my castle would be teh awesome. I'm also going to try to keep adding rooms and such to the castle. If only I could get some furniture to decorate.
    He may actually be referring to these locations in the game. Not that it wouldn't be hard to create your own - just make a couple large un-lit boxes with only one entryway, monster spawnage will ensue. I've read on the Minecraft forums where people will make a couple of these down in a pit so the monsters will spawn out into the daylight and get , then all they have to do is trek down into the pit and pick up the spoils of the critter deaths.
  • occasional bucket for lava transport.
    How do you get lava in a bucket, and what do you do with it once you get it?
  • Add me to the Caught the Minecraft fever route, anyone thinking about making a server for GeekNight user collaboration, I feel many untapped potentials...
  • Is it too late to jump into the bandwagon? how steep is the learning curve if you haven't played dwarf fortress or the like?
  • Is it too late to jump into the bandwagon? how steep is the learning curve if you haven't played dwarf fortress or the like?
    Learning Curve = 0
  • Add me to the Caught the Minecraft fever route, anyone thinking about making a server for GeekNight user collaboration, I feel many untapped potentials...
    I say yes, as long as the server is free of, or has very few, monsters. Personally I feel they are just annoying and troublesome. They distract from creating awesomeness. It's like I'm trying to be an architect, and some zombie comes and eats my brain. wtf.
    Is it too late to jump into the bandwagon? how steep is the learning curve if you haven't played dwarf fortress or the like?
    This game is so insanely easy.
  • occasional bucket for lava transport.
    How do you get lava in a bucket, and what do you do with it once you get it?
    You have to find the spawn block for the lava floe, which means you need to be very careful while digging around the floe itself. Once you find it (it's typically one block deep in the wall at the top of the floe) you can use the bucket's right-click ability to gather the block, resulting in a bucket of lava. From there you can do a few different things with it.
    • A lava bucket can be used to fuel a forge for a good long while, but you end up losing the bucket in the process. Given that coal is typically plentiful, this is a waste of the lava.
    • Dig a 1x2 trench in stone and then put some stone up above it to act as a hearth. Empty the lava bucket into the trench. The hearth will keep the sparks from flying out and damaging you. The lava in the trench ends up being your garbage disposal because anything you dump into it will get disintegrated. I use mine to get rid of the excess of gravel blocks that I invariably run across.
    • Combine the lava block with a few different water spring blocks to generate an obsidian farm.
    • Same as above only it results in a cobblestone farm.
    It's not a bad idea to have a bucket of water with you if you're going lava hunting - nothing sucks worse than getting caught on fire and slowly burning to death.
  • edited October 2010
    I say yes, as long as the server is free of, or has very few, monsters. Personally I feel they are just annoying and troublesome. They distract from creating awesomeness. It's like I'm trying to be an architect, and some zombie comes and eats my brain. wtf.
    Right now there is no damage in multiplayer, so even if you turn monster spawns on they can't kill you. (Creepers still destroy shit though.)

Also Scott, you can turn on Peaceful mode so that your health regens and their are no monsters.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
    Go search YouTube for videos on how to survive the first night and bookmark the Minecraft wiki. These two will keep you alive for the first night and keep you running once you start tunneling into the earth.
  • Right now there is no damage in multiplayer, so even if you turn monster spawns on they can't kill you. (Creepers still destroy shit though.)
    That's fine.
  • The MP server is quite buggy ATM. I was running a server for some friends of mine and you'd run into weird stuff like smelting being broken or areas of the map where you just couldn't destroy a block. Or mine tracks/carts causing the server to lag and DC you.

After the next patch, (17 days!! /twitch) I'll see if its nice enough to keep up and invite more folks into.
  • After the next patch, (17 days!! /twitch) I'll see if its nice enough to keep up and invite more folks into.
    Yeah, that's why I ended up taking down the one I had going. There are just too many bugs to make it worthwhile.
  • Right now there is no damage in multiplayer, so even if you turn monster spawns on they can't kill you. (Creepers still destroy shit though.)
    That's already been patched. The server we were using already had server side health and item storage. I think that was VHD's.
  • At RIT, there's kind of a *huge* Minecraft community going on right now. Computer Science House has one of the bigger build servers, though the creations at the moment are fairly typical (giant flaming swastika, etc.)

Like, at the LAN party a few weeks ago, you could walk around any isle of computers, and a good third of them had Minecraft up and running. Far as I can tell, one of the admins set up their own server and invited everyone to play. So yeah, it's rather huge at the moment. Freshmen year, minimal work, optimal time to get involved. *takes the plunge*
  • This game desperately needs some infrastructure to allow you to save games in the cloud, and to more easily trade/share saves. Seeing a video of someone's stuff is a lot less interesting than exploring it yourself.
    edited October 2010
    ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
    Post edited by ... on
  • Notch can't even store the map without making hundreds of folders just to store a few hundred bytes. Besides, I doubt he's going to waste his money supporting cloud saves.
    Steam does it easy peasy.
    edited October 2010
    ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
    Post edited by ... on
    That's already been patched. The server we were using already had server side health and item storage. I think that was VHD's.
    Lol. Yeah, it was mine. I don't remember health being implemented though? I remember, after storage was implemented I think, dropping from the top of my mine to the bottom to build stuff without taking any damage. Do you have to toggle it on in the server properties?

You can't kill the monsters right now though, so I guess it's best to leave them off anyway. :P
  • edited October 2010
    Steam does it easy peasy.
    Steam syncs your control settings (You can actually see how much space it's taking up in the game properties.) and LD2 is currently only occupying 30KB/1MB.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Steam does it easy peasy.
    Steam syncs your control settings (You can actually see how much space it's taking up in the game properties.) and LD2 is currently only occupying 30KB.
    Steam saves my Civ V games.
  • Really? How much space is that taking?
  • Really? How much space is that taking?
    I have no idea, but it limits me to a certain number of saves.