This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Minecraft - First Person Dwarf Fortress.... Kinda

Comments

• Might say how much in the properties menu under updates.
  • Big Halloween update coming: Fish, watches, biomes, new monsters, torches will die, much more.
  • edited October 2010
    The Hell realm has me VERY excited. I bet you need to build the portal out of obsidian, too...
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Game now has fishing! I just wish they'd give you some way to spin wool into string so you didn't have to mess around with the damn spiders.
  • edited October 2010
    Unless fishing rods have a durability stat (unlike bows), it's not really a problem because you should only lose them quite rarely.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Unless fishing rods have a durability stat (unlike bows), it's not really a problem because you should only lose them quite rarely.
    Yeah, but it's still a PITA to have to hunt down spiders to get string. Considering you can craft string into cloth blocks then by that same logic you should be able to deconstruct the cloth blocks back into string, just like Omnutia said. Even if Notch made it a three-vertical of cloth > one string craft recipe it'd still make more sense than having spiders be the only source of string.
  • Yeah, but it's still a PITA to have to hunt down spiders to get string. Considering you can craft string into cloth blocks then by that same logic you should be able to deconstruct the cloth blocks back into string, just like Omnutia said. Even if Notch made it a three-vertical of cloth > one string craft recipe it'd still make more sense than having spiders be the only source of string.
    Yeah, even worse than being hounded by monsters while trying to be an artist is being forced to fight monsters to get necessary stuff.
  • Enforcing some degree of teritorialism among monsters would help, instead of the current "Everyone lock on and mob him." mentality.
  • Enforcing some degree of teritorialism among monsters would help, instead of the current "Everyone lock on and mob him." mentality.
    Also maybe make them a little less dangerous and make weapons a little more dangerous. There's really not much strategy you can do to fight monsters safely besides having a lot of armor. The bow-wielding ones are the worst, followed closely by the exploding ones.
  • Yeah, even worse than being hounded by monsters while trying to be an artist is being forced to fight monsters to get necessary stuff.
    Amen to that. It also ticks me off that Creepers are the only source of gunpowder in the world. There ought to be some recipe involving coal, sand, and a cobblestone block or something to generate gunpowder, because having to plink away at a Creeper with a bow and maybe getting one or two units of powder is majorly lame.
  • Amen to that. It also ticks me off that Creepers are the only source of gunpowder in the world. There ought to be some recipe involving coal, sand, and a cobblestone block or something to generate gunpowder, because having to plink away at a Creeper with a bow andmaybegetting one or two units of powder is majorly lame.
    You know what I hate more? Killing a pig and not getting any meat. Pretty much the only way I can find to efficiently and easily regain health is to grill pork.

Anyone want to give me instructions on how to farm?
  • You need a hoe and you probably want a bucket.
    Use the hoe's right click to hoe random grass and sometimes seeds will pop out. Grab some earth and put it in a hole inside in a well lit area, hoe it (Make sure you never step on it again or you loose the plant.) and right click on it while holding the seeds. Leave it a while in lit area and it will grow. Having a water block adjacent will make the soil more fertile and plant grow faster (It's a darker brown when hoed.).
  • You need a hoe and you probably want a bucket.
    Use the hoe's right click to hoe random grass and sometimes seeds will pop out. Grab some earth and put it in a hole inside in a well lit area, hoe it (Make sure you never step on it again or you loose the plant.) and right click on it while holding the seeds. Leave it a while in lit area and it will grow. Having a water block adjacent will make the soil more fertile and plant grow faster (It's a darker brown when hoed.).
    How long does it take? I assume I use the bucket to move a water tile?
  • edited October 2010
    You don't need a bucket, you can just find a pond or something and place rows of dirt with water between each one.
    Post edited by Koholint on
  • edited October 2010
    Takes about a couple of days to get going in a decent sized room, but you get two seeds and one wheat from each full grown plant so you can grow your operation from a few tiles to a whole room (Theoretically doubling at each harvest.). Also, a water tile will work on all tiles touching it on it's sides and corners so you can do 8 squares with one bucket load.

@Kohou: I didn't know water went up as well. I was showing the plan for an indoor farm.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited October 2010
    Also, a water tile will work on all tiles touching it on it's sides and corners so you can do 8 squares with one bucket load.
    Water will reach any dirt 4 tiles away or less. You can make a 9x9 grid with the middle tile as water and all squares are hydrated.

Also of note, if you walk over your farm tiles while holding shift to sneak, you won't ruin any plants.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • Also the farm doesn't even need to be outside (mobs can also trample your plants), torchlight will do. I set up a farm the other day and now have more bread than I have use for.
    Honestly I don't have much problem with mobs after getting set up, and they kinda liven up searching through caverns for stuff. I only have problems if I fight a crowd or a creeper sneaks up on me.
  • So... is there not a server, or am I just dense?
  • I managed to grow trees indoors once, it takes a lot to get right but I'd like to try and get the formula down for maximum density.
  • I managed to grow trees indoors once, it takes a lot to get right but I'd like to try and get the formula down for maximum density.
    OH SHIT, this is possible? If it is, I will completely lock myself underground where creeps can not come. As long as I have wood + coal, the torches will keep them at bay.
  • edited October 2010
    To get coal you've gotta keep digging, you'd better be lucky. Farming that many trees will take a while too.

Also, if you break into a cavern, you better wall it back up as it's hard to light all of that.
  • To get coal you've gotta keep digging, you'd better be lucky. Farming that many trees will take a while too.
    I've got a fuckton of coal. I just need to find ore now.
    Also, if you break into a cavern, you better wall it back up as it's hard to light all of that.
    I fucking learned that lesson.
  • I'd hold onto coal if you have any access to wood.
  • I'd hold onto coal if you have any access to wood.
    why?
  • edited October 2010
    @Apreche: Something I read somewhere, I'll try to dig it up. I think it's just that coal is kept for making torches and becomes hard to keep when you get into serious smelting.

Also, as coal burns for so long, if a piece starts burning just as your items finish, it wastes a lot of spare energy (Get that bacon grilling.).

Something I just discovered. If you cut Logs (Tree blocks.) into Wood, each of the wood pieces (You get four per log.), each wood burns for as long as a log. So you get four times the burning power for the same wood cutting.

Furnace on the wiki.
  • Day 1.
    Entry 1
    It's a fine day today, as I set out to conquer these new and exotic lands, I can't spend much time exploring as I need to find materials for a proper shelter, I've heard stories, and if even one third are to be true, I don't want to spend the night out

Entry 2
    Having spent the whole day looking for fucking coal to light up a torch and failing at it, I had to bunker myself in a 2x1 space and pray for safety.

Entry 3
    I hear them scratching at my wall, I can't really tell what it is, but I'm sure it doesn't want to be friends with me.

Day 2

Entry 1
    With dawn comes a new day, whatever was scratching at my wall last night didn't seem to like the sun and bolted in the morning.

Entry 2
    I see them walking around on broad daylight so they can't be bad...

R.I.P. Papionda who fell down a cliff after two green weird looking mother fuckers exploded on his fucking face.
  • Random thought - this game has all the essential ingredients of Settlers of Catan: wood, sheep, rock, grain...
  • I've got a fuckton of coal. I just need to find ore now.
    The best way to find ore is to explore natural caves. There's so much exposed rock you're bound to find some, and good cave systems go a long way. A cave system I'm currently working on, with barely any extra digging, has yielded over 300 iron, and of course a ton of coal.
  • edited October 2010
    Just gotta say: If they add a hookshot item, Game of The Year. Automatically.

Grappling hook would be acceptable.

Might be worth coding our own version just for that.

While we're at it: Coal powered jetpacks, ski's, masks, pokeballs..