This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Satoshi Kon has died

Comments

• This sucks really hard :(
  • Man, this just makes me even more upset that I never got Paranoia Agent when it was still cheap/easy-to-get. This is a bad blow to the industry though, and I will miss his work.
  • /sad panda
  • Wow, this sucks. I really liked Millenium Actress and Tokyo Godfathers. Haven't gotten around to his other movies yet.
  • Perfect Blue has still left me slightly scared to this day.
  • Perfect Blue has still left me slightly scared to this day.
    It was the first serious anime that I recall watching. It was also the first anime that was playing when I worked my first as a panel room attendee at an anime convention.

Talk about awkward.
  • This has been a crappy year for anime. First Carl Macek, now Satoshi Kon!?? This is probably the second most tragic death in anime, being only slightly beaten out by the death of Osamu Tezuka.
  • 47...too young.
  • What is going to happen to The Dream Machine?
  • What is going to happen to The Dream Machine?
    It'll dream forever, my friend. It'll dream forever...
  • GeoGeo
    edited August 2010
    What is going to happen to The Dream Machine?
    If spirits were real and could somehow interact with the world, Kon would have probably chuckled at that.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I'm very poignantly sad about this. My heart just sank when I read it. He was a brilliant artist and a funny guy. It seems slightly surreal, even now, that he's gone.
  • I'm getting that pre-crying tingly-nose feeling just thinking about this. The world lost a real artist today.
  • I feel kinda indifferent but I didn't know the guy too well.
  • I seriously cried over this. He was one of my favorite director and the first I attached myself to.

I will always remember when I met him in DC when they showed Tokyo Godfathers and the premiere of Paprika. He was pleasant and signed stuff for people even though he didn't have to. He was called to leave so I didn't get anything I signed. We were both walking the same way and he stopped and held out his hand. I offered mine to shake his and the most fangirlish of noises escaped my mouth. "Da!" I exclaimed and he chuckled and gave me a bow to which smiled and did the same.

I will always remember that time and also regret saying "Da!"
    What is going to happen to The Dream Machine?
    Well said, Victor.
  • I'm not one to care about celebrity deaths -- oh no, an actor I've seen will no longer make movies I'll watch! -- but this flat-out sucks. Truly, this is an awful day for entertainment as a whole, never mind anime. Kon was a visionary, and we're losing a lot in his death.
  • That is a real bummer.
  • Maybe, as a tribute, you guys should do an episode on Satoshi Kon and his works.
  • I'd leave that a while.
  • GeoGeo
    edited August 2010
    I'd leave that a while.
    Why? Why put it off? Now would be a perfectly good time to do it while the shockwaves are still being made.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • edited August 2010
    I'd leave that a while.
    Yeah. This comes to mind, actually:

Making a dedication 'cast as soon as the guy hits the grave feels wrong to me, for some reason.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • A news segment would be timely, but a retrospective will take a while (Time not being in abundance recently.) and may be better when everyone's not running around like headless chickens.

First Nujabes and now this, my money's on the guy who heads up Team Ico for the next big potential to cop it.
  • First Nujabes...
    Aw fuck, Nujabes died? This is news to me. :(
  • Aw fuck, Nujabes died? This is news to me. :(
    Yeah. I'm still pretty bummed about this. I'm trying not to let the Satoshi Kon thing get to me, but it's hard not to.
  • I know what you are talking about Gunter and I'm kind of at a loss for words to describe what it is. In a way, I can understand why it would be somewhat crass to release something like a retrospective just days after Kon died (depending on if Scrym ever get it done that fast which is certainly unlikely). But at the same time, I feel like that this man made too much of an impact on the medium of anime to not have a kind of retrospective done. Especially by people who both know as much about anime and are articulate and intelligent enough to do something truly that is both truly meaningful and honorable to Kon's legacy.
  • All in good time, son. All in time.
  • "Satoshi Kon didn't die, he just went to the moon."
  • "Satoshi Kon didn't die, he just went to the moon."
    Goddammit, now I'm all choked up.
  • Dear Universe,

You dun goofed. Here is a short list of anime and manga staffers you could have taken instead of Satoshi Kon: Koichi Ohata, Yoshinobu Nishizaki, Toshio Maeda, Seiji Matsuyama, (the directing side of) Ichiro Itano, and anyone who works at Bee Train.

Love,
    Peter
  • Dear Universe,

You dun goofed. Here is a short list of anime and manga staffers you could have taken instead of Satoshi Kon: Koichi Ohata, Yoshinobu Nishizaki, Toshio Maeda, Seiji Matsuyama, (the directing side of) Ichiro Itano, and anyone who works at Bee Train.

Love,
    Peter
    Also, Ken Akamatsu. Even though some his works are among my (nostalgically shameful) favorites.