This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Satoshi Kon has died

13»

Comments

• ANN has not only posted about it more than once, but has come out with some more details, namely that He passed away on August 24 at 6:20 a.m, of Pancreatic cancer.

Original Here.
  • I almost think that the real anime fans would be less upset if it had been Miyazaki since he's nearly done, but Kon had so much work left to do.
  • edited August 2010
    I almost think that the real anime fans would be less upset if it had been Miyazaki since he's nearly done, but Kon had so much work left to do.
    At 47, Miyazaki hadn't even made Totoro, apparently.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • At 47, Miyazaki hadn't even made Totoro, apparently.
    I meant if he died now.
  • I know, I was just providing some perspective.
  • "Satoshi Kon didn't die, he just went to the moon."
    I just watched this for the first time last night and I don't think I'd have cried at the end if I hadn't been thinking about him. It was a really great movie and I'm glad I watched it last night, but I felt so sad after it was over.
  • It is notoriously hard to make me cry. This made me cry. Especially the last line of his message.
  • "Satoshi Kon didn't die, he just went to the moon."
    I just watched this for the first time last night and I don't think I'd have cried at the end if I hadn't been thinking about him. It was a really great movie and I'm glad I watched it last night, but I felt so sad after it was over.
    I'm not sure I get the reference.
  • It is notoriously hard to make me cry.This made me cry.Especially the last line of his message.
    I translated the original Japanese and found this.
    May be the sign had indeed. The two parts of the back - three months before the pain in his groin and strong, right leg became power from entering, resulting in a greater difficulty in walking, but went to a chiropractor and acupuncturist and rather than be improved, MRI and PET-CT examination results in precision instruments such as the sentence was left to live up suddenly.
    Like it was behind the death have noticed, but I can not do anything be done about it.
    Was Satoshi Kon a victum of woo?
  • I'm not sure I get the reference.
    From one of his films. Millennium Actress I think is the one.
  • Was Satoshi Kon a victum of woo?
    Yes and no. Even if he had gone to a real doctor immediately, it was still probably too late.
  • Pancreatic cancer is basically a death sentence. Unless you have a rare version like Steve Jobs had that's actually treatable.
  • God, what a semester to be taking "Biology of Cancer". I'll be thinking of Satoshi Kon the whole time...
    With feelings of gratitude for all that is good in this world, I put down my pen.

Well, I'll be leaving now.

Satoshi Kon
    THIS. This is how I want to leave the world. No fuss. No Muss. No overly dramatic farewell. Just "Well, I'll be leaving now." And then lay down and die.

• THIS. This is how I want to leave the world. No fuss. No Muss. No overly dramatic farewell. Just "Well, I'll be leaving now." And then lay down and die.
    Actually I'd rather leave the world. Going "WWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! What a ride! Ack." With people saying "Isn't that dangerous for a 130 year old to do?"
  • I want to go through the pearly gates backwards in a flaming Swedish supercar.
  • Actually I'd rather leave the world. Going "WWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! What a ride! Ack." With people saying "Isn't that dangerous for a 130 year old to do?"
    Me also. Gotta go out in a blaze of glory.
    edited August 2010
    Me also. Gotta go out in a blaze of glory.
    You never will. Not on the course you are going.
    Post edited by ... on
  • I want to die as an old, old lady sitting in a morning sunbeam. I will be sleeping happily, and then a blood vessel just goes pak! and I slump over in my comfy chair.
  • I'm favoring mysterious disappearance.
  • Or maybe, same as the above, but instead of a blood vessel, it is a capacitor and I am a super old cyborg who has lived for centuries.

Also, bad news.

Key animator Shojiro Yamauchi died as well.
  • I want to go through the pearly gates backwards in a flaming Swedish supercar.
    This is the best thing I've read all day.
  • This is the best thing I've read all day.
    It's a Clarksonism
  • "With feelings of gratitude for all that is good in this world, I put down my pen.

Well, I'll be leaving now.

Satoshi Kon"

Fuck, man.
  • This really makes me regret the fact that I haven't seen any of Satoshi Kon's work, though I've heard of him, of course. Perhaps I should feel happy that I won't ever have the feeling of loss knowing there won't be any more for him to create, but I feel as though I've completely missed the boat on something very important.
  • edited August 2010
    I still can't get over it completely. I still wish it was all a prank.

Post edited by Viga on
  • Despite the negative connotations of this thread, I think this is the best place to put this and I think it would be better to remember Kon as the man he was and celebrate his accomplishments, despite his sudden and unfortunate passing last year.

I just watched Perfect Blue for the very first time, and that film is fantastic. At first I didn't think it was all that much. It seemed a bit shallow, but as it continues it just goes deeper and grows more layered. I hadn't figured out the final revelation until it was exposed perfectly and to me it was quite the twist. Looking back though there is quite the number of clues left for it.

It's just a really, really good movie and anybody, regardless of familiar with anime or not, should watch it.
  • Been just over a year.
  • Been just over a year.
    Damn.
  • The second hardest news in the anime world I had to take.
  • Apparently a French website and anime con teamed up to put their Satoshi Kon art exhibit online. This ANN article discusses it briefly and has links to the pictures. They're by various French artists. Worth a look if you haven't seen it already. :)