This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20100825 - Gedo Senki - Tales from Earthsea

2»

Comments

• I need new shoes again. Luckily, Zappos.
  • If you catch Zappos soon enough you may be able to get free VIP status out of them - They're running a VIP waitlist promo in addition to their earlier "Free VIP for all Students" -
  • If you catch Zappos soon enough you may be able to get free VIP status out of them - They're running a VIP waitlist promo in addition to their earlier "Free VIP for all Students" -
    What does that mean exactly?
  • What does that mean exactly?
    Took me a while to parse it. Zappos has some marketing thing called "VIP" as best I can tell.

I only order shows once a year or so, so I don't really see the point.
  • edited August 2010
    My post got cut off. I must have failed at copy/paste from notepad where I was composing and hit the post button too quickly. I was in a rush to get out the door for lunch and wasn't paying attention. They were running a promo earlier this week where all students could get free VIP status. Mainly it nets you free overnight shipping for life, as opposed to their free standard 4-5 day shipping. Not so useful if you're only buying shoes once a year or so, but not too bad if you use them to purchase gifts for friends or are a frequent shopper. Given that they now stock more than just shoes, it might be worth looking into. Zappos VIP link.
    Post edited by Techparadox on
  • Hey DJ type peoples. Is there a special thing I need to type into Pirate Bay to find versions of songs that have the vocal tracks removed?
  • Hey DJ type peoples. Is there a special thing I need to type into Pirate Bay to find versions of songs that have the vocal tracks removed?
    "Instrumental" is usually the word, I think.
    Instrumental or Karaoke. You can also invert one of the channels (L or R) of a stereo track and combine the left and right channels together. This cancels a lot of vocals out in most cases, but it can also remove guitar and instruments too.
  • Dur, I am stupid.
  • "Off Vocal" is also used in Japanese titles.
    "Instrumental" is usually the word, I think.
    Searching for the single release of a song might work too.
  • Yeah, we no longer do "that's what she said." Instead we do "that's my new screen name."
    So? When did you start telling people what's hip?
  • So? When did you start telling people what's hip?
    >---JOKE----->

Univers's head
  • Yeah, we no longer do "that's what she said." Instead we do "that's my new screen name."
    So? When did you start telling people what's hip?
    It's not hip if you tell people!

• >---JOKE----->

Univers's head
    OH SHIT! The end of the world is nigh, Rym's copying listeners instead of the other way around. And you weren't quoted Rym.
    That's true.

• >---JOKE----->

Univers's head
    OH SHIT! The end of the world is nigh, Rym's copying listeners instead of the other way around. And you weren't quoted Rym.
    That's true.
    \___8====D____/
  • Of course if I where to mention that certain popular people make occasionally do that and that in tests, it is a leading cause of coolness in lab rats, that would be perfectly okay.
    edited August 2010
    \_8==D__/
    You're still doing it wrong!! D:
    Post edited by ... on
  • Scott, if you're after something like the Quirky Fit Kit there's actually already a bunch of other products like it. Most of them I find to be too bulky and have too few pockets for their sizes, but here's a list of them:
    - http://www.urbantool.com.au/
    - http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/bags/918a/
    - http://grabitpack.com/

The one I swear by though, is the eVolve gadget holster here: http://www.eholster.com/egashho.html

When wearing a jacket or an open shirt it's very easy to hide and has a tone of pockets and space to keep things. Not shown in the pictures on the site is an extra zipped pocket on the back, which is awesome and also pretty large. I attend a lot of cons as staff and press and I find it very handy for keeping all my stuff together and easy to reach. I'm beginning to find it to be more convenient and comfortable than a wallet actually.
  • When the nerds rise, that will be part of the uniform.
  • I've actually got quite a nice leather under-arm holster, and the "Gonk Vest" - basically, a vest with only straps at the back, but six big pockets, and a few small ones at the front. I've combined it with some old gear I have around the house, and I've added some extra hanging hardware to it, too.
  • Those alternatives are ok, but they really don't cut it. They're all ludicrously big strap-on things that are designed for a bunch of gadgets and such.

The point of the fit bit is that it's just an arm band, and it only carries the absolutely minimum things I need to leave the house, wallet, phone, keys. It's also not going to interfere in any way if I wear it while biking.
  • Those alternatives are ok, but they really don't cut it. They're all ludicrously big strap-on things that are designed for a bunch of gadgets and such.

The point of the fit bit is that it's just an arm band, and it only carries the absolutely minimum things I need to leave the house, wallet, phone, keys. It's also not going to interfere in any way if I wear it while biking.
    Or you could use a backpack, no need to re-invent the wheel.
  • Or you could use a backpack
    Backpacks are large and often ungainly. They also require substantial additional movement and effort to access anything within them on the go. Unless you're traveling long distances, or almost never need access to the bag en-route, messenger bags are better in almost every way.

Plus, Scott only needs a little pouch. Maybe a fanny pack is the solution.
  • edited August 2010
    Those alternatives are ok, but they really don't cut it. They're all ludicrously big strap-on things that are designed for a bunch of gadgets and such.
    I should take a photo of my holster - It's leather, and made to hold not much more than your wallet stuff - Cash, cards, so on - your phone or Mp3 player, and maybe a thin notebook and pen, some other stuff like that, your passport, whatever. the only other thing it has from that? The strap over one shoulder, a belt loop, and a D-ring to attach your keys to. It's not a big gadget holster, it's essentially the same thing as that gadget thing you linked to, but leather, and with a few zippers rather than open pockets.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • The first Earthsea book is excellent. The second book, third book, and collection of short stories are ok. The fourth and fifth books decompose into social commentary on feminism.

So for the movie they took the worst elements of 2-4?