This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

NYAF/NYCC 2010

2»

Comments

• Holy shit. The con is sold out of Saturday and Weekend passes...
    My daughter is coming down with something. We may have to skip the con. If so is there anyone I can paypal some money to to go to the tinierme.com booth and pick up some stuff for her?
    Aww... That's too bad. I'll poke around and see if I can't scrounge something up.
  • We ordered our tickets when they were still mailing them out so I have them at home. She wanted to do the entire weekend and stay in a hotel! She's real good with her own money but free with everyone elses.

One of my friends bought the expensive tickets for the Boston con next weekend because his new wife is a big Buffy fan. I would have liked to have gotten some of the special tickets on the anime side for my daughter but those sold out real fast.

She is also looking for a local source of Figmas.
  • She's real good with her own money but free with everyone elses.
    Smart kid.
  • Still decompressing thoughts from day 1. All I have to say is that the combination of NYCC expo hall and panels with a NerdNYC board game night made me feel like a day at PAX. This is a good thing.
  • We are hanging out on the "cos-way" waiting for the vocaloid meetup.
  • So many people Saturday... the horror... the horror....
  • So many people Saturday... the horror... the horror....
  • edited October 2010
    The most shocking thing to me was the ridiculous line for the media room from 1-3 PM on Friday. Getting in from 10-1 during professionals-only hours was like a dream. I don't know why any of those guy would wait until later in the day to show up b/c there was much much less expo hall traffic yet almost every booth was fully staffed. Even w/o professional gear (just a Kodak Zi8 w/ a 2-channel condenser mic stuck in the audio jack) we were able to get some good quality interviews done. Highlight of the day was probably hanging out and BSing with Scott Kurtz for a bit, whose booth was shoved way in the back and was just sitting around w/ no foot traffic coming down his aisle.

The MAD Magazine panel was awesome. They had every major artist or contributor to the magazine, going all the way back to Al Jaffee who was there at a ripe 90 years of age! He was pretty funny too. It was a reunion of sorts, and they had a guy their from Adult Swim who showed off footage of the upcoming MAD Magazine animated series. Actually looks funny which I was NOT expecting. Has a lot of creators from Robot Chicken helping out and the influence shows, so I guess it's not a huge surprise anymore that it could be good. I think the Robot Chicken guys do a good job w/ their show, and this is just them getting their hands on an awesome collection of characters.

Skipped Saturday b/c of family commitment and glad to see I made the right choice. Plan was to go back Sunday but I fucked that up royally.

The funny part of this con was that it proved I am really just a board game/video game geek with just a dabbling interest in comics and anime, b/c I spent at least 3/4 of my time checking out video games, t-shirts, toys, etc. The only comics I've read in the past year were Mouse Guard, Walking Dead, and Powers, and the only anime I've seen was Ponyo. I really wish I had someone who was a comics expert there with our crew to make better use of the press pass, but all of our comics writers are the ultimate kings of shit-talk and were "too busy to go to NYCC".
    Post edited by Matt on