This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

No I really don't watch TV

Comments

• edited August 2010
    I find that a lot of people that say, "I don't watch TV," do watch television shows, just not on a television. It is simple confusion of terms. A person may watch hours of "television programming" via hulu, downloads, etc., but just not watch it on a television set.
    (This is Kate. Silly Adam is logged in on my computer again.)
    Yeah, but there's still a difference between internet viewing and sitting in front of a set and just shutting down your brain.
    WTF? Why does what electronic device you use to view the material make the experience any more or less valid? (Kate, again.)
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • I find that a lot of people that say, "I don't watch TV," do watch television shows, just not on a television. It is simple confusion of terms. A person may watch hours of "television programming" via hulu, downloads, etc., but just not watch it on a television set.
    (This is Kate. Silly Adam is logged in on my computer again.)
    Yeah, but there's still a difference between internet viewing and sitting in front of a set and just shutting down your brain.
    WTF? Why does what electronic device you use to view the material make the experience any more or less valid? (Kate, again.)
    I hear this all the time, and I'm with Kate on this one, seriously. What's the difference? If I was to move my computer farther away from me, it would be the equivalent of a T.V. I mean, I guess since you generally sit closer to a computer, but that's really a choice. Nothing is stopping you from sitting as far away from your monitor as you do your T.V.
  • edited August 2010
    Some people will watch whatever is on TV, even if it's not something they really want to watch. With a computer, you can't really do this mindless channel surfing. You have to think about what you want to watch.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • Some people will watch whatever is on TV, even if it's not something they really want to watch. With a computer, you can't really do this mindless channel surfing. You have to think about what you want to watch.
    Fark, Wikipedia, and TV Tropes can essentially be channel surfing on a slightly more stimulating level.
  • Unfortunately, I like staying on top of mythbusters and top gear. As a result, I still need a tv.
  • Unfortunately, I like staying on top of mythbusters and top gear. As a result, I still need a tv.
    Top Gear is on Netflix. Also, torrents.
  • Don't forget megavideo.
    Top Gear is on Netflix. Also, torrents.
    I've watched all the top gears on netflix. Bittorrent? I guess...
  • edited August 2010
    I've watched all the top gears on netflix.
    Wow, that's a lot of Top Gears. Then again, I've watched all of Hokuto no Ken TV.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited August 2010
    >Wow, that's a lot of Top Gears. Then again, I've watched all of Hokuto no Ken TV.
    Yep. I go "flat around chi-car-go, OH, he moved the tires!" you got "YATATATATATATATATATAAaa!!!! Omae wa no shinteiru." and nobody knows what the hell we're talking about unless they know.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Top Gear is on Netflix. Also, torrents.
    Also, BBC iPlayer.
  • edited September 2010
    Wow, that's a lot of Top Gears.
    No it isn't, there's like three seasons of fifteen on netflix. If you really want to watch some top gear, you have to torrent it.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Wow, that's a lot of Top Gears.
    No it isn't, there's like three seasons of fifteen on netflix. If you really want to watch some top gear, you have to torrent it.
    Why does everyone like that show, it is hosted by three of the most annoying simple people in the BBC.
  • Wow, that's a lot of Top Gears.
    No it isn't, there's like three seasons of fifteen on netflix. If you really want to watch some top gear, youhaveto torrent it.
    Why does everyone like that show, it is hosted by three of the most annoying simple people in the BBC.
    YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH! YOU SHUT IT NOW!

I'm a car guy, so this is my kind of entertainment. I don't know why everyone else watches it.
  • YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH! YOU SHUT IT NOW!
    I'm a car guy, so this is my kind of entertainment. I don't know why everyone else watches it.
    I'm not a car guy. At all. I started watching it because a professor I respect suggested it and I love it. It took me about a month to watch all 14 seasons of the new series that were available at the time. As far as the hosts being annoying, they are individually (except maybe Clarkson) but together they're magic.
  • YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH! YOU SHUT IT NOW!
    I'm not a car guy. At all. I started watching it because a professor I respect suggested it and I love it. It took me about a month to watch all 14 seasons of the new series that were available at the time. As far as the hosts being annoying, they are individually (except maybe Clarkson) but together they're magic.
    The show is amazing because they screw around so much.

In one episode they spend large sums of money trying to build a space shuttle. It was the largest non-commercial rocket launch in Europe. It fails horribly, explodes and leaves a giant hole in the ground. That isn't even the best episode i can think of.

The production values are also very good.
  • edited September 2010
    I do not watch TV either. I have a TV set in my room, but I do not have a TV cable or any sort of program reception device attached to it. The thing I use the TV set for is for my XBox.
    I do watch Television shows though, of my own choice on my own time schedule. I also kinda find it hard to believe, though not impossible, that Josh here doesn't watch any programming that was originally intended for TV broadcast.

Edit: I actually do watch some live broadcasting too, over the internet though. Ice hockey. Really the only thing that TV is really good for anymore is live sports, though Rym & Scott have been over this a couple of times on the show already.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • No it isn't, there's like three seasons of fifteen on netflix. If you really want to watch some top gear, youhaveto torrent it.
    Well, of the Fifteen from the New Top Gear, anyway.
    In one episode they spend large sums of money trying to build a space shuttle.
    Not just build a space shuttle, but build one out of one of the most dangerous cars ever produced - The Reliant Robin.
    As far as the hosts being annoying, they are individually (except maybe Clarkson) but together they're magic.
    I must agree. Hammond, on his own, is the least annoying of the three, but comes off as a pikey wanker, May is a Northern guy who wants to be a southern twat, and is generally pretentious and a bit of a know-all, and Clarkson's just flat out a complete dickhead, even a skim of one of his numerous columns will prove that.

For some reason though, by their powers combined, you actually get something entertaining. Nobody knows why, you just do.

However, I will contend, they are not the most annoying people on English Television, nor even just the BBC.
  • I also kinda find it hard to believe, though not impossible, that Josh here doesn't watch any programming that was originally intended for TV broadcast.
    I on occasion like to watch Man versus Food on Netflix. Most of my viewing entertainment is anime, youtube and movies.
  • In one episode they spend large sums of money trying to build a space shuttle.
    This is a car show? Shit, I gotta watch this.
  • edited September 2010
    This is a car show? Shit, I gotta watch this.
    It's not just a car show. It's a things that go fast/explode/have an engine show.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • This is a car show? Shit, I gotta watch this.
    More of a guy show really.

• The rocket launch in question
  • It is like fail Mythbusters.
  • I used to not watch TV after being a TV addict. Then watching TV just snuck back into my life little by little. Reading this thread kinda makes me realize I need a break again.
  • When you say you don't watch TV, does that mean broadcast TV only? Do you watch DVDs and stuff, or netflix? That's what I do. I haven't had cable for years, and every time I visit my mom and see what's on TV now, I'm so glad for it.
  • edited September 2010

Bjork <3 <3
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • What do you watch then? Do you just stare at the wall? Because fo reals, some TV is entertaining as fuck. South Park, Robot Chicken and The Big Bang Theroy just to name a few. What do you do when some culturally relevant shit happens. Such as 9/11 or God forbid a Presidential assassination?

Without TV you must be into some really freaky sex shit. Because my mind is occupied by TV and I can be pretty nasty. Without TV.... I would be like a super freak to the 184368 power.
  • edited September 2010
    So my only options are TV or stare at the wall?

I'd better toss my bookshelf out the window and chain myself to the floor, then. While I'm at it I should do away with my drawing supplies and this very laptop I'm typing on, because what other means of entertainment have I been deluded into thinking myself capable of?

Also, I find the internet 10000x more culturally relevant than television.
    Post edited by loltsundere on
  • I was joking.