This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

New study finds nondrinkers live the shortest lives.

Comments

• The differences in taste that people have are actually quite small when you consider all the possible things in the universe that you can put in your mouth.
    The problem is that not all people taste the same. Do you know if you're a supertaster or not, Scott? They're often extremely bothered by the taste of alcohol while normal tasters and "undertasters" are typically not.
    You see, Scott, nothing tastes the same to a supertaster. You eat a pear, it's like a hundred pears. Some supertasters can't drink coffee or beer. I guess the best way to put it would be to say that the flavors "explode," and become too much.
  • This is really old news. The acclaimed nutritionist Don McLean told you decades ago that the good old boys were drinking whiskey and rye and singing, "This'll be the day that I die."
  • But beer is not red wine.
    Well, yes, but I wasn't referring to just red wine any more. The article didn't mention anything about a breakdown by type of alcohol consumed. I'd be very curious to see if it had a particular association.
  • You see, Scott, nothing tastes the same to a supertaster. You eat a pear, it's like a hundred pears. Some supertasters can't drink coffee or beer. I guess the best way to put it would be to say that the flavors "explode," and become too much.
    Pears are just pears, no explosion really, just awesome pear-ness. Of course, if you look at the wikipedia list of things supertasters do not like, it corresponds strongly with the things I do not like. For example: Alcohol, coffee, grapefruit juice, carbonation, olives.
  • olives
    I didn't know you don't like olives.

You are dead to me.
  • edited August 2010
    You see, Scott, nothing tastes the same to a supertaster. You eat a pear, it's like a hundred pears. Some supertasters can't drink coffee or beer. I guess the best way to put it would be to say that the flavors "explode," and become too much.
    Pears are just pears, no explosion really, just awesome pear-ness.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Kalmata olives are oh so delicious.
  • You see, Scott, nothing tastes the same to a supertaster. You eat a pear, it's like a hundred pears. Some supertasters can't drink coffee or beer. I guess the best way to put it would be to say that the flavors "explode," and become too much.
    Pears are just pears, no explosion really, just awesome pear-ness. Of course, if you look at the wikipedia list of things supertasters do not like, it corresponds strongly with the things I do not like. For example: Alcohol, coffee, grapefruit juice, carbonation, olives.
    And pears are fail.
  • edited August 2010
    All olives = blech. Even walking past the olive section of the grocery makes me bleh.

Except olive oil. Totally awesome.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited August 2010
    As they say, they're acquired tastes. I never liked alcohol, coffee, grapefruit or olives as a kid. Now I like coffee, but only harsh, aggressive coffee that most people can't handle. I like alcohol, but only beers and wine, I still can't drink most hard liquor straight up. Grapefruit I ate with sugar as a child, but now I eat plain and enjoy. Olives...well I still don't like olives.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • I still can't drink most hard liquor straight up.
    Even I know that you aren't supposed to.
  • This isreallyold news. The acclaimed nutritionist Don McLean told you decades ago that the good old boys were drinking whiskey and rye and singing, "This'll be the day that I die."
    Well, his research owes much to the previous findings of trailblazing molecular chemist John Lee Hooker, who did extensive research into the interactions of bourbon, scotch, and beer.
  • edited August 2010
    I drink coffee black, liquor straight, grapefruit plain, and I fucking love olives. I'm like the supertaster's arch-nemesis.

And regarding the TMBG song, arguably my favorite thing about it is how well-researched it is.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I'm like Scott's arch-nemesis.
  • And regarding the TMBG song, arguably my favorite thing about it is how well-researched it is.
    When they did their science album, they had to hire a fact-checker.
  • edited August 2010
    Scott Rubin Supertaster
    Tastes more than we do
    Everything has a flavor
    Some flavors are tooooooooooo much.
    And regarding the TMBG song, arguably my favorite thing about it is how well-researched it is.
    When they did their science album, they had to hire a fact-checker.
    Fuck yeah, TMBG.
  • Even I know that you aren't supposed to.
    I'm not gulping it dingus, I mean I can't sip it.
  • edited August 2010
    I still can't drink most hard liquor straight up.
    There are some men who would like to have a word with you.

Now, just imagine that video in greentext, and we'll be cool.
    I prefer liquor to the fizz and piss of beer.
  • edited August 2010
    I still can't drink most hard liquor straight up.

Sorry, what was that? I couldn't hear you over the choir of angels that sings whenever a bottle of this is opened. Also, you might say, "Was the huge image necessary?" The answer is, "Indubitably, yes."
    You need to have a good, German Okteberfest and then tell me beer is piss.
  • edited August 2010
    Does it go down with the same hard burn as scotch, followed by the same warm spread of joy? No? Then shut your face hole.

P.S. If a brewer has to resort to printing "ages well" on the label, then I guarantee it doesn't age well.

@George: If I wanted bread, I'd eat bread. I don't need to drink it.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • edited August 2010
    Does it go down with the same hard burn as scotch, followed by the same warm spread of joy?
    Actually, it kinda does.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • edited August 2010
    Does it go down with the same hard burn as scotch, followed by the same warm spread of joy? No? Then shut your face hole.
    It's like drinking the happiness of childhood; it literally tastes like some the best things I can think of: Oranges, oatmeal, hints of teriyaki and honey.. And since it's 17% ABV, there is a spread of joy. And you will likely be buzzed once you're finished.

However, I am an avowed whiskey enthusiast. I'm a big fan of Mr. Jameson and his son.
    P.S. If a brewer has to resort to printing "ages well" on the label, then I guarantee it doesn't age well.
    What are you backing that guarantee with? Because I've got some aging bottles of Dogfish Head's Olde School Barleywine (15% ABV) at home that spent the better part of a summer proving your ass DEAD wrong.
  • edited August 2010
    No?
    Actually, yes it does.

EDIT: Also, "ages well" means "stick this in your cellar for a decade and you will be rewarded." The stuff is aged for a year post-bottling before it's actually shipped.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I am really digging how fast we all got on that.
  • If I wanted bread, I'd eat bread. I don't need to drink it.
    It's more than bread, and you don't need to drink it. But you need to have a good beer before you can tell me beer is bad. There's a lot of piss water beer in this country, it's very easy to see where you'd acquire this opinion. I used to be a vodka guy back in college. Now I have no stomach for hard liquor most of the time.
  • I am really digging how fast we all got on that.
    It always bears repeating: respect beer.
  • Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker.
  • Two bottles of 120 Minute, and you won't be in much of a hurry to do anything anymore.