This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

New study finds nondrinkers live the shortest lives.

Comments

• Pete and I calculated this once. A bottle of 120 is 80% of a bottle of wine.
  • Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker.
    This tastes like both candy and liquor. No, really.
  • Can't we just agree that both beer and whiskey are wonderful and make you live longer?

Well, except that Irish whisky tastes like scotch diluted with boredom and filtered through sadness, and Canadian tastes like bourbon that was designed by focus group for children and is appropriately served in a sippy cup.

I guess they still make you live longer, but, I mean, who wants to live longer if you have to drink crap liquor?
  • Pete and I calculated this once. A bottle of 120 is 80% of a bottle of wine.
    I love America.
    Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker.
    This tastes like both candyandliquor. No, really.
    This is true. It's a honeyed-orange-oat-chocolate awesome explosion in your mouth! It goes down easily for about two bottles! And then you're smashed.
  • Can't we just agree that both beer and whiskey are wonderful and make you live longer?
    You don't get us at all :D
  • edited August 2010
    Can't we just agree that both beer and whiskey are wonderful and make you live longer?
    And stop the fun?

I'm secretly hoping that this will become so full of heated passion and discussion that it will lead to man love.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited August 2010
    Can't we just agree that both beer and whiskey are wonderful and make you live longer?
    Maybe...
    Well, except that Irish whisky tastes like scotch diluted with boredom and filtered through sadness
    ...Fuck this statement. Fuck your taste in liquor.

All joking aside, let's show some love for bourbon. My personal favorites are Knob Creek, Bookers, Basil Hayden's, Woodford Reserve, and Wild Turkey.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Well, except that Irish whisky tastes like scotch diluted with boredom and filtered through sadness
    All whiskies taste limp-wristed and flaccid to me. That's why I drink gin. I prefer a liquor that tastes like I'm being hit in the face with a pine tree. That's on fire.
  • edited August 2010
    Well, except that Irish whisky tastes like scotch diluted with boredom and filtered through sadness
    All whiskies taste limp-wristed and flaccid to me. That's why I drink gin. I prefer a liquor that tastes like I'm being hit in the face with a pine tree. That'son fire.
    Pete, I am disappoint. Wild Turkey is like drinking napalm. You could fuel a fucking Mack Truck with that shit.

Though I do love me some Bombay Sapphire. Or Hendricks.
  • Oh god, fuck Woodford Reserve. That shit was awful.

And gin is just distilled self-loathing.
  • That is too much whiskey. Zoom out.
    lead to man love
    That's enough True Blood homoerotica for you, little lady.
  • That's enough True Blood homoerotica for you, little lady.
    But..but..but...I want MORE. ; _ ;

And it ends next Sunday. /sad panda
  • edited August 2010
    Oh god, fuck Woodford Reserve. That shit was awful.

And gin is just distilled self-loathing.
    Fuck that noise. I like Woodford Reserve. Although the Jim Beam small batches are far and away my favorites. I'm going to try to get some Knob Creek soon. Mmmm. Knob Creek.

Also, George, I like how you singled Woodford Reserve out when Wild Turkey made the the list. That's a drink for people who hate themselves, and I like it. In Champaign, we call it Diesel Fuel.
  • I singled out Woodford Reserve because I've had it. I can't comment on the rest.
  • And it ends next Sunday. /sad panda
    Forever or just this season?!?! That show is too damn good to cancel!
  • Forever or just this season?!?! That show is too damn good to cancel!
    Season. Just the season. I pretty much caught up with the entire series in a matter of a week.

But back to alcohol. I think I might try some Jameson this weekend. I never drank whiskey so I might as well start with something good. Just with coke I assume?
  • edited August 2010
    And it ends next Sunday. /sad panda
    Forever or just this season?!?! That show is too damn good to cancel!
    Just season three. It's been renewed for a fourth.

Post edited by Jason on
  • I am glad to see that we are all basically immortals up in this thread.

And I think I have a suggestion for everyone: it is a bourbon called Black Maple Hill. It is only a bit more expensive than the usual small-batch whiskeys. It has all the wonderful notes of a quality bourbon, along with a definite hint of the maple its name suggests. It is also cask strength and burns like holy fire. It is my favorite liquor in the whole wide world and I would name it Vera if it didn't already have a name.
  • edited August 2010
    But back to alcohol. I think I might try some Jameson this weekend. I never drank whiskey so I might as well start with something good. Just with coke I assume?
    I'm of the mind that Jameson's too good to mix with coke. Serve it as a double on the rocks, with a splash of distilled water to unlock it a bit. You'll enjoy it.
    And I think I have a suggestion for everyone: it is a bourbon called Black Maple Hill. It is only a bit more expensive than the usual small-batch whiskeys. It has all the wonderful notes of a quality bourbon, along with a definite hint of the maple its name suggests. It is also cask strength and burns like holy fire. It is my favorite liquor in the whole wide world and I would name it Vera if it didn't already have a name.
    I have heard of this. I think I will get some.
  • But back to alcohol. I think I might try some Jameson this weekend. I never drank whiskey so I might as well start with something good. Just with coke I assume?
    Aaaaaahhhh no! Do not want. Jameson is... mediocre at best.

And no, not with coke.

Well, see, here's the thing... do you actually intend to like whiskey, or just to get drunk off it? Because if it's the former, you just want to drink some good whiskey over a little ice (inb4 shitstorm, yes, I know water is preferred, but she's a beginner here, so settle down). If it's the latter, save your moneys and just get some JD and drink it with Coke. Never mix good whiskey with anything but water or soda, though. Or maybe some sweet vermouth and a little peach bitters and a cherry.

You know what? I know you got some friends around here in the Sea-Tac area. I am sure some of them have some whiskeys. Ask for a tour. A drinking tour.
  • Whiskey sour is good if you want a cocktail.
  • edited August 2010
    Aaaaaahhhh no! Do not want. Jameson is... mediocre at best.
    I can't decide if I like you for your love of Bourbon or hate you for you dislike of Jameson. Let's be friends.

I can't recommend Bookers, Basil Hayden, or Knob Creek highly enough. Jim Beam carries a stigma, I feel, but their small batches are great. Laphroaig is going to be your best bet anywhere, but only with a splash of water, and it might be too much for you at first. The Glenlivet is a classic. Johnnie Walker Black Label is tolerable, but not great. I would echo balderdash's sentiments. Water at least, soda at most, with the exception of a whiskey sour (order with a cheap whiskey like Wild Turkey) or an Old Fashioned, which is good with any true Bourbon. Maker's Mark isn't a bad idea for an Old Fashioned. Jack Daniels and Jim Beam have their place, and it's called in coke or a cocktail.
  • Whiskey sour is good if you want a cocktail.
    The mere presence of a glass of whiskey sour made Cat drunk enough to vomit.
  • Manhattans! Drink them!

Old-fashioned cocktails were made with an eye to accentuating the liquor, not concealing it and dressing it up in fruit and shit.

You know, from the tone of this thread you would think we had all decided that you only live longer if you drink right.
  • You know, from the tone of this thread you would think we had all decided that you only live longer if you drinkright.
    Well clearly you'll live longer!
  • You know, from the tone of this thread you would think we had all decided that you only live longer if you drinkright.
    Or responsibly for that matter.
    Well clearly you'll live longer!
    And you'll lead a better life, too!
  • I see no problem with that.
  • Well, see, here's the thing... do you actually intend to like whiskey, or just to get drunk off it?
    Both. I just want to see what it's like.