This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

New study finds nondrinkers live the shortest lives.

Comments

• Start with something good like Knob Creek and then descend into gutrot like Evan Williams as the night goes on.
  • Manhattans! Drink them!
    You are correct.

One thing I can't stand is the corruption of the martini. I have to specifically order a gin martini now. Fuck you. Gin is the only thing that belongs in a martini, other than olives and perhaps olive brine.
  • Manhattans! Drink them!
    You are correct.

One thing I can't stand is the corruption of the martini. I have to specifically order a gin martini now. Fuck you. Gin is theonlything that belongs in a martini, other than olives and perhaps olive brine.
    And vermouth, Pete. Don't forget the vermouth.
  • And vermouth, Pete. Don't forget the vermouth.
    Hey, I respect vermouth, but you have to be careful with the stuff. I prefer to look at the bottle from across the room.
  • Both. I just want to see what it's like.
    Well, it is PAX week. It's a good time to start! Just go slow. No sense ruining the experience with drunk-sick and a hangover.
  • Both. I just want to see what it's like.
    Well, it is PAX week. It's a good time to start! Just go slow. No sense ruining the experience with drunk-sick and a hangover.
    I love the reaction I get when I tell people that I don't get hangovers. It's a mix of confusion and heart-blackening envious hatred.
  • I get hangovers depending on what I did. Beer usually doesn't give me a hangover, mixed drinks can though.
  • I don't get serious hangovers, but that's because I don't drink enough any more. By "enough" in this case I mean "so much that I black out and/or get sick," which is not something I've done more than a couple of times because I do, eventually, learn. A couple of times is enough, however, to really reinforce my surprise at hearing that heavy drinkers don't die soonest. Ugh.
  • I've never blacked out. I would say that I have a deep, deep fear of doing so, actually.
  • I get hangovers depending on what I did. Beer usually doesn't give me a hangover, mixed drinks can though.
    I'm pretty much exactly the opposite. I tend to only get hangovers when I drink a lot of beer, usually cheap stuff too when that happens (and by cheap stuff I mean the cheap side of microbrews). But even then, my hangovers are pretty minor in comparison to what most people get, which I'm thankful for.

But I haven't really learned how to stop partying hard. I've blacked out a lot. I've gotten sick a lot. I've lost things only once. I know from other people that I've said and done a lot of really stupid things when blacked out (thankfully no injuries yet). It's not like I ever try to, it's just that my tolerance is way higher than most, and that makes it so it takes way longer for it to hit me than I think. So by the time I feel like I've gotten to the edge, it's too late cause I just had three drinks past the one that brought me there. I've gotten better about it in the last year though. Biggest step was to stop drinking vodka, cause that stuff hates me for some reason.

I don't have much to say on the whiskey front. I'm not really a fan of whiskey, scotch, bourbon, anything in that general category. I will say that Jameson is one of the most tolerable I've had. Wild Turkey, on the other hand, is just rough.
  • So, now we have a second beer thread?
  • I hate beer.
  • I hate beer.
    We are Legion.
  • This thread reminded me of the oldest living people ever, many of whom believed that their longevity was due to whiskey.

I'm also surprised no one has brought up Crown Royal or Maker's Mark Whiskey. I've been rather concerned with Maker's Mark lately, since I've been seeing great deals of it lately at my store. And Crown Royal BLACK might be my current favorite one, because it smooth, yet powerful. Perfect with water.
  • This study is actually a secret government attempt to boost the economy and generate tax revenue through beer, wine, & liquor sales.
  • Any other rum-fiends around?
    I am glad to see that we are all basically immortals up in this thread.
    Except Scott, who will tell us we're all drinking poison, and then die relatively early. We shall pour shots of water and non-fermented red grape juice on his grave.
  • Crown Royal is Canadian, so fuck that noise; and Maker's is just okay - it's at a decent price point where it's still kinda cheap but better than the really cheap stuff, but it's not really particularly standout. For the money, I prefer Bulleit, which is only a dollar or two more but tastes much better - a lot oakier with a nice slow smooth bite.

But Maker's is good to know about for the sole reason that it's usually the best whiskey you can get in an average bar without paying way too much.
  • edited September 2010
    Crown Royal is Canadian, so fuck that noise
    Canadian Club is the only Canadian whiskey I've only ever heard of being good. However, that's obvious not from personal experience, so I have no idea as to the veracity of that statement.
    Any other rum-fiends around?
    Fucking YO.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • FuckingYO.
    Sweet.

I'm pretty fond of Mount Gay rum from Barbados, it's my primary if anything, But I'll admit a fondness for Bundaberg Rum. At times, a little too much fondness.

Also delicious - Sang Som, Man O'War Gunpowder Rum, Cockspur Rum, Thomas Tew Rum, Old Monk, and Tanduay.
  • Bundaberg Rum
    Man O'War Gunpowder Rum
    I've heard excellent things about these. Been meaning to try 'em.
  • edited September 2010
    I've heard excellent things about these. Been meaning to try 'em.
    Well, Shit, Pending a spot of advice on sending little bottles of liquor to people internationally, I'd be happy to send you a some minis of Bundy to try, they're cheap enough that it's not a worry.
    I've got a Dan Murphy's just up the road, it's not like it's any trouble.
    Man o'war is a little harder, I've only ever been able to get it in NZ, but I could check at Dan Murphy's, and if they have something, I'll send you some.

Also - If you're ever in Queensland, I will absolutely take you up to the Distillery in Bundaberg for a tour. Go see the Rum Oompa loompas.

Finally - they have some pretty good advertisements - my personal favourite -
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited September 2010
    Whatever happened to Seagram's Seven and Seven?
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • If you're ever in Queensland, I will absolutely take you up to the Distillery in Bundaberg for a tour. Go see the Rum Oompa loompas.
    I'm studying abroad next year, and since I'm a molecular and cellular biology major, I will likely be in Australia. You guys have some excellent research specimens I am dying to see up close.
  • I do not drink or use any substance. I have had enough for 4-5 lifetimes. I have been clean for 9 months now.
  • Follow up article to the study. Seems that if you are woman and are a moderate drinker your chances of getting breast cancer increases.

http://www.boston.com/news/health/blog/2010/09/drinking_story.html
  • Awww. Damn. And I really like boobies.
  • edited September 2010
    I'm studying abroad next year, and since I'm a molecular and cellular biology major, I will likely be in Australia. You guys have some excellent research specimens I am dying to see up close.
    QUT Brisbane, son. I'll buy you a drink at the Mana Bar, too.

Also -
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited September 2010
    I have options at University of Queensland. I'll have to talk to my adviser once I declare.

EDIT: Don't care how small she is. We can study sexual selection together anytime.
  • I have options at University of Queensland. I'll have to talk to my adviser once I declare.

EDIT: Don't care how small she is. We can study sexual selection together anytime.
    I'll tell you what - I have some mates who go to QUT, and I'm pretty sure I know a few in your rough area of study. I'll see if I can get you the scoop. At the very least, I should drop by with my camera, and get you a nice bunch of photos and from-the-ground information.
  • edited September 2010
    I'll tell you what - I have some mates who go to QUT, and I'm pretty sure I know a few in your rough area of study. I'll see if I can get you the scoop. At the very least, I should drop by with my camera, and get you a nice bunch of photos and from-the-ground information.
    That's awesome of you, and if you feel like doing so, go for it. However, I should warn you: because I'm pre-med and in such an intense field, my range of programs is most likely limited to what the university says I can take on. Since QUT isn't on the list, I dunno if it would work. You're welcome to do the homework if you wish, I'm just trying to save you from a (potential) fool's errand.