This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Firefall

edited September 2010 in Video Games
Firefall seems to be some Planetside/WoW looking thing from a team that's made up of Dynamix and Blizzard ex-staff. Will at least be interesting, I'm hoping it fills the TF2 gap of something to kinda space out to.

Comments

• I saw a good demo of this at PAX, and if anything, it's much more akin to Borderlands, but structured to be a persistent, MMO world. If the end product is entirely like what I saw, it will be an epic game.
  • I had a chance to interview the CEO of Red 5 and get some time with the game, and I was really impressed. They hadn't yet worked out the details of a PvP mode, but what they were demonstrating was shown on a very large scale. The Borderlands comparison is accurate, but they also focus heavily on the AI director concept ala Left 4 Dead. It's not a simple AI "I will spawn x number of enemies", but will actually strategize against the player base and create massive world events.

At one point, he hopped in an air vehicle and cruised around the world watching all of the different action in realtime. This was the equivalent of flying around the entire Borderlands universe with no loading, and action constantly going on down on the ground. Gotta listen back to our conversation to see what else was said as I'm a bit fuzzy on the rest of the details (PAX is a big blur), but I just remember coming away with a great impression.
  • Oh wow that looks amazing!
    I love that the cell shaded look is started to be in more games. It makes them look decent on my old hardware.
  • So Halo and WoW had a baby.
  • If they would have just left out the WoW part, I would be all over it. As it stands, not even going to really pay attention.
  • edited November 2010
    What is the WoW part? I get more Planetside influence than WoW from my point of view...
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • The game looks beautiful, and a lot of fun at first, but I can pretty much assure this game will be ruined by its business model. The game will be 100% free, but will make all of its money by selling better gear through microtransactions.
    So Halo and WoW had a baby.
    This is off the mark. Thing Borderlands meets FarmVille.
  • I can pretty much assure this game will be ruined by its business model. The game will be 100% free, but will make all of its money by selling better gear through microtransactions.
    Yeap. The true cost of the game is the total combined cost of all of the best gear throughout the life of the game.
  • Yeap. The true cost of the game is the total combined cost of all of the best gear throughout the life of the game.
    And/or the cost of your own time in earing the gear without paying for it, if that is an option.
  • PLEASE tell me this won't be another Darkfall.
  • I know its been a few months for this thread, but I just watched some stuff about this from Gamescom. From what I gathered, the microtransaction bullshit will only be hats and other related cosmetic items. Dunno how long that'll last, but there you go.
  • I know its been a few months for this thread, but I just watched some stuff about this from Gamescom. From what I gathered, the microtransaction bullshit will only be hats and other related cosmetic items. Dunno how long that'll last, but there you go.
    I will resist. The marketing budget for this game is HUUUUUUGE. Somewhere along the line they are going to look to recoup their costs. If they only start with cosmetic microtransactions they are smart, because they will rope in a lot of the skeptics who demand a stateless FPS. It might start out like that, but there is a load of heartbreak coming down the line somewhere. A shame, too, because this game looks awesome.
  • stateless FPS
    Seems like it's already too late for that. From watching the trailer Andrew posted(a year ago), it looks like they already have equipment drops in the game. Watch at about 1:40.

This isn't about to stop me from giving the game a go until Planetside Next comes out, of course.
  • I'm expecting TF2, but faster and with jetpacks. And, y'know, not my ultimate preference, but I'll probably give it a try when it comes out.