This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Insomnia

edited September 2010 in Everything Else
So who has it? What do you do to try to sleep? What do you do when you can not sleep? How often does it happen to you?

Well for me it is mostly pain induced. Sometimes it is because my brain will not shut up. I have TMJ. This is very painful. About 3-4 times a month my jaw locks up (for some reason it is always overnight) for like 7-10 hours. This hurts like the dickens and I can not sleep.

As for my brain not shutting up. This happens about 5-7 times a month. So I have a grand total of usually 10-12 sleepless nights.

To pass the time I either internets all night, play some Xbox or watch some movies. I wish I was able to read during this time, but either the pain is too great or my brain will not sit still for long enough.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Have you talked to your dentist about the TMJ? Get a mouth guard and probably some exercise about two hours before you go to bed might help. A glass of wine might help (notice A glass of wine). Also make sure you don't do other things on your bed other then sleeping. That and the trick I always used when I was a little kid (I don't get insomnia anymore) is to try and create a world in your head focus on just placing the globe together and creating landscape. It should clear your mind and you maybe able to fall asleep.
  • Well maybe a glass of wine might help, but I am an addict. I can not have a glass of wine. Also it is dangerous to for me to use meds. Granted I was on opiates this summer for my recover from my cancer surgery... But that is the main reason why I haven't been able to talk to the dentist. I had an appt in July, but I was in the hospital having my tumor removed. Then I had an appt in Aguust. This had to be canceled because I had and appt with my oncologist. I then had and appt in Sept. Again, was canceled for an appt with the oncologists. (I can only go to my union dentist. And they are sooooo booked you can only get an appt a month out) So, basically I'm fucked.
  • Have you tried mediation? Or at the least, using your insomnia to productive ends, learning a craft or something? When I can't sleep, I'll meditate, and if that doesn't work, I learn something, it's a win win.
  • Have you tried mediation? Or at the least, using your insomnia to productive ends, learning a craft or something? When I can't sleep, I'll meditate, and if that doesn't work, I learn something, it's a win win.
    I meditate every day along with praying. I can pray and meditate with pain (depending on how bad it is) but when my mind is racing I can not do much more then watch TV, play a video game, clean or work (basically any mindless task) I do thank you for the idea.