This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20100906 - Vanilla Forums with Mark O'Sullivan

edited September 2010 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we have Mark O'Sullivan as our guest on the show to discuss the Vanilla forum software you all know and love. In the news, AMD retires the ATI brand, and ageism seems to rear its ugly head in technology jobs (but against who?).

Download MP3

Comments

• Hey Rym, its only a model.
  • edited September 2010
    Wow, guys. You've posted an episode recorded on August 30th, for September 6th, on September 7th. Good job.

Edit: Also, only people in the US can see Rym's Thing of The Day.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • edited September 2010
    I've looked at the addons for Vanilla 2 and found one that might help around here.

Image Resizer
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • Wow, guys. You've posted an episode recorded on August 30th, for September 6th, on September 7th. Good job.
    We were at PAX.
  • So? So were alot of people. And they managed to get their noncasts done.
  • Really, now? Their podcasts are free and provide them with little-to-no profit whatsoever. It's just a hobby for them.

If they can't release a new episode, then too bad. Don't act like you're so damn entitled.
  • Sweet! Guests on the show! I need to get my butt in gear and get the previous show listened to as well. I'm about two weeks behind on my podcasts thanks to work-related stuff and helping my girlfriend recuperate after her knee surgery.
  • Really, now? Their podcasts are free and provide them with little-to-no profit whatsoever. It's just a hobby for them.

If they can't release a new episode, then too bad. Don't act like you're so damn entitled.
    See I disagree with this statement. The moment the e-commerce comes out (someday), I think Geeknights will cease to be a hobby anymore since income will be made from it.
  • See I disagree with this statement. The moment the e-commerce comes out (someday), I think Geeknights will cease to be a hobby anymore since income will be made from it.
    The amount of income we will make will be insignificant next to the money from our day jobs. Unless you guys really empty your wallets, it won't make any difference.
  • See I disagree with this statement. The moment the e-commerce comes out (someday), I think Geeknights will cease to be a hobby anymore since income will be made from it.
    The amount of income we will make will be insignificant next to the money from our day jobs. Unless you guys really empty your wallets, it won't make any difference.
    What difference does it make how much money you make from it or not? You act like money is no object to you.
  • What difference does it make how much money you make from it or not? You act like money is no object to you.
    It's not no object, it's just no object if the magnitude is not large enough. Unless ecommerce provides enough profit for me to quit my job, it won't change anything. All that money will probably be reinvested into GeekNights anyway.
  • Unless you are paying for the podcast at a weekly subscription rate, there should be no expectation that a free service will be able to make all deadlines, unless you want shitty service/programing.
  • It's not no object, it's just no object if the magnitude is not large enough. Unless ecommerce provides enough profit for me to quit my job, it won't change anything. All that money will probably be reinvested into GeekNights anyway.
    and a new purse to match the shoes.
  • It's not no object, it's just no object if the magnitude is not large enough. Unless ecommerce provides enough profit for me to quit my job, it won't change anything. All that money will probably be reinvested into GeekNights anyway.
    Exactly. I make enough money to travel wherever I like with frequency, live in a large luxury apartment in the City with a Manhattan skyline view, buy anything reasonable I desire without thought or care, and basically do whatever I want. All that, and I make more money than I spend. The amount of money it would take to reach a significantly different lifestyle up from that would require hundreds of thousands of dollars a year.

The marginal costs of making money with GeekNights far outweight the benefit of any profits. Even merch, I expect to sell close to cost.
  • Thank you for this much-needed dose of realism added to this thread, guys.

Most "internet famous" people don't make nearly as much money as could be had with a nice full-time job in the tech sector. Even if you could, you are trading away job stability, and the reality is that people are willing to blog & podcast without payment. I cannot recall any other industry that has been undercut like journalism has, with people basically willing to do what used to be someone's job as a hobby.

In other news I am looking forward to this episode, as I just got the thumbs up from my editor-in-chief to start a forum for our site.
  • I did not mean to be an entitled jerk who wanted it and was upset that it didn't make the date. I just thought it was a little funny how it was done.
  • Scott's Thing -Homebrew Cray-1A
    We have a TON of those Xilinx Spartan FPGAs in our department. They're cool, but they are such a pain to make work with THEIR OWN SOFTWARE. Good god Xilinx.
  • As someone who turns 40 in October, I am starting to see ageism even in the realm of physical security. Now, while being able to observe and write proper reports are a must, the majority of facilities are using CCTV over IP and card access systems tied into dedicated servers. I have been debating getting an A+ certification so that it could piggyback the degree I have in criminal justice and the 15+ years experience I have in private security to keep me relevant with the technology that is being used to marginalize those without the computer knowledge.
  • I am becoming increasingly impressed the more I play with the Vanilla 2 forums. I wouldn't recommend switching over just yet as there are still some annoying bugs. The quoting plugins are both pretty broken, mobile support is spotty, and I've got some nasty IE8 errors that make it impossible to add new comments (who the hell uses IE anyway). The WYSIWYG text editors have some funky errors as well where sometimes you get simultaneous display of HTML and non-HTML input.

Anyways back to my main point though, they are doing a great job. It is almost a fully functional social network, minus the big bloated profile. Every user has a personal page with a facebook-esque feed that lists their activity and also allows people to write in it like a wall. You can also bookmark certain threads and get notifications if there are updates to it, or direct replies to you (you can pick and choose exactly what is notification-worthy). Also, auto-saving drafts is beautiful.