This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Art Lesson Plans

edited September 2010 in Everything Else
Naturally, this is aimed at Adam and all the artists, but anybody's input is welcome.

I'm to create 3 units. My teacher will pick the best 3 of what I come up with. I have to do the basic topic in bold, but it's up to me to decide how I teach that topic, and what activities I employ.
Here are the unit themes per grade as required by the curriculum:
Kindergarten: Family portraits---Mostly designed...I just need to pick out an interesting and developmentally appropriate medium for the final family portrait. Please give suggestions.
First Grade: Pointillism --- See below.
Second Grade: Value ---I'm probably not designing this one because I can't think of anything fun for 2nd graders. Feel free to toss out ideas, but this is a lower priority.
Third Grade: Landforms, to cooperate with classroom teachers on geology. -- I was thinking of assigning each kid a different kind of landform. They'd make a relief with a small square clay slab, and work in groups to make related landforms fit together. At the end, we could merge them all by laying them out into one big gridded landscape. I'll post the details on this lesson after I get more feedback on the pointillism.
Special Ed: Open ended, restricted to their abilities. ---I was thinking of talking about motion, behavior, and activities through the creation of small clay figurines that 'interact' with one another.

Pointillism themed activity, first grade:
I'd start with Black-and-white pointillism on paper, perhaps of bugs???? This is to introduce the concept.

Then I'd move onto color. I could show examples of pointillism, from impressionist paintings to comic books….and then show them that even photos operate on the same principal because when you zoom in, everything is made of pixels.

I was thinking that we'd give the kids small circles of paper in which to draw a concept design. Then, we'd give them little tart tins of the same size, and they'd fill it with transparent colored plastic beads to match the drawing on their paper. Maybe they could add just a little glitter for more speckling. This would take 1 or 2 classes, depending on the beads available? Do you have plastic beads? Pony beads and Mardi Gras beads are best.
We'd bake them in the kiln for about 10 minutes to melt the plastic beads. As they cool, they'll harden. We could punch holes in them with needles before they harden all the way so that they can be hung later. A whole class's pieces could be hung together.

I was thinking that then the kids could use pens, markers, sharpies or paint to make more dots on top of the hardened plastic wafer. What do you think would work best? This would further define what they're trying to depict, as well as add more dots and colors to their pieces.

I wanted to try and create something other than the generic pointillism lesson. What do you think? Does it even seem feasible?

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Surrealism for first grade:

Imagination fuel!!
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Thanks, but I can't do surrealism. I have to stick to curriculum. That means, I have to do something with pointillism. I'm posting here to get feedback on the quality of what I come up with for each theme.
  • I will make certain Adam sees this thread. He has been a bit side tracked by the surgery.
  • Of course; that's completely understandable. I'm really glad it went well, too.

Thanks for showing him. =)