This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

iPhone/other smart phone questions

Comments

• I might have to make a case for my phone with a tiny cloth inside to wipe the screen.

As for apps, I'm beyond overwhelmed. I was able to get the wallpaper I've had on all my phones and a few custom ringtones for now. I'm still a very sad panda that I can't get my Azumaga Daioh Eye Catcher tune as a text tune unless I jailbreak my phone. :(

I don't know how many games I will put on my phone right now, but down the line I will. I really want to make sure I have all the essentials that I was used to on my other phone.

So far the phone is great. The connection isn't as good as my previous phone was at work, but who knows. I still have so much fiddling to do before everything is perfect for me.
  • I might have to make a case for my phone with a tiny cloth inside to wipe the screen.
    Just make sure you take your phone out and clean it from time to time - if dirt gets trapped in the back, and it rubs or presses, gorilla glass or no, it can score the glass, which makes it much easier to break. Amount of time that takes varies - it's not happened to a few of my friends, but I also have two friends(who admittedly let their phones rattle about in their handbags when they're not using them) it did, with one merely scoring the glass badly, the other actually getting a clean snap right down the back of the phone, about a quarter inch from the righthand side.
  • I'm still a very sad panda that I can't get my Azumaga Daioh Eye Catcher tune as a text tune unless I jailbreak my phone. :(
    Added bonus for jailbreaking, emulators. I've been playing the mega mans. Aw mans.
  • Got my new iphone. It was meant to cost 240 euro, but nobody asked for any money or a card. Maybe it will be added to my monthly t-Mobile bill, but if not it seems I might have gotten it for free.
  • RymRym
    edited February 2011
    Got my new iphone. It was meant to cost 240 euro, but nobody asked for any money or a card. Maybe it will be added to my monthly t-Mobile bill, but if not it seems I might have gotten it for free.
    Shopkeeper wasn't looking, eh?
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Rym, IIRC you haven't actually played that game, so you have no right posting videos.
  • Anyone with an AT&T iPhone who already pays for unlimited texting: go log into your account today. There is a new feature for the same price that is unlimited text and unlimited minutes to any cell phone on any network. Ridiculous deal. You can probably cut your minutes down next month after you see how it effects your usage. The AT&T iPhone just became cheaper than Verizon's.
  • You can probably cut your minutes down next month after you see how it effects your usage. The AT&T; iPhone just became cheaper than Verizon's.
    Who uses minutes?

I used 4 this past month.
  • My Pre is barely holding on. I could get a new Droid RIGHT NOW at almost no cost if I extend my Sprint contract, or I can wait until June and be free.
    Are you having the same problem my mom's Pre has, where the slide for the keyboard is almost dead?
  • You can probably cut your minutes down next month after you see how it effects your usage. The AT&T; iPhone just became cheaper than Verizon's.
    Who uses minutes?

I used 4 this past month.
    I also use almost zero minutes. However, the minimum minute plan is incredibly huge. I have a bajilllion rollover minutes, yet I'm forced to pay an exorbitant price every month to get more minutes I'm not using. If I could only pay for the minutes I use, my bill would be less than half. It's a racket, since there's no alternative.
  • Four? That is inhuman! I use about 150-200 per month and yes, it is a racker. I had a few thousand rollover minutes but my wife uses her phone for work since is always on the go and they need to get in touch with her all the time (no, they will not buy her a phone or reimburse her). She now uses 1200 minutes per month. This will help us big time. Rollover minutes just expired last month and I had bunoed our plan up past the minimum.
  • Four? That is inhuman! I use about 150-200 per month and yes, it is a racker.
    Who the hell do you call? I only use the phone to meet people, coordinate meeting people, or talk to someone I can't skype/email.
  • I just bought a phone/plan with Virgin Mobile. Anyone have any horror stories they'd like to warn me with?
  • edited February 2011
    I just bought a phone/plan with Virgin Mobile. Anyone have any horror stories they'd like to warn me with?
    It's the same as Bell Mobility, just a different brand.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Oh, well Bell is the company I just finished a contract with so that's good. I was attracted by Virgin's no-contract model and since I chose a really cheap phone, it won't even take very long to pay off.
  • I just bought a phone/plan with Virgin Mobile. Anyone have any horror stories they'd like to warn me with?
    It's the same as Bell Mobility, just a different brand.
    Sprint, actually. And I have VM; they're pretty rock-solid, and the Android phone they have (the Intercept) is pretty good.
  • I got a middle of the road phone without any frills since like a lot of people the only reason I need a telephone is for business/work.
  • edited February 2011
    My brother in law is a cutting edge guy, getting the 2g, 3G, and iPhone 4. He's passed his previous one downs to me.

Each one I've unlocked, jailbroken and thrown in my FIDO pay as you go sim card. I roughly pay about $20 a month, and when I want data (honestly, there's not a lot of times in my day I'm not near a wifi) I can pay the $2 for the day pass or the $7 for the week pass.

For me, I get all I want out of the iPhone and no one I know with an iPhone can compete with even 2x my phone bill, more often 3x is the starting spot. Oh yeah, an no contract either.
    Post edited by TorontoKev on
  • That sounds like a great plan. If you jailbreak a phone, how does that effect features like call waiting and answering service?
  • It all works as per the Fido system. Although you don't get the handy iphone voicemail screen, it's more like just calling right into the Bell callanswer or something.

If you can find someone's older iphone in a drawer because they've moved on, it's a goldmine.
  • Can you buy prepaid cards that come with features?
  • Yep, my Fido pay-as-you-go has call waiting, display, voicemail etc.
  • Who the hell do you call? I only use the phone to meet people, coordinate meeting people, or talk to someone I can't skype/email.
    OK so this made me curious, who the hell do I actually call? I fell victim to the curiosity and actually punched up last month's phone bill. I overestimated my use a bit. Last month was 78 minutes. Didn't break it down call by call but from a quick scan would say approximately 20 on family, 35 on work, and 20 to businesses.
  • 35 on work
    I have a separate work phone.
    20 to businesses
    More and more, I avoid doing business with anyone where I am required to use the phone over other communication. Restaurants that have online reservations or ordering, for example, get all my business.
  • The only people I call are my parents and my grandparents. Maybe twice a year I will have short phone conversations with other relatives. Maybe a couple times a year I will end up calling an FRC person, but usually texting wins.
  • I just got the bill for my new iPhone. Turns out I don't get it for free.
  • I have the minimum amount of verizon minutes, 450. I have never once come close to using that. With all the free minutes I get for various conditions (nights and weekends, mobile to mobile, etc) I hardly use any miunutes with what little talking I do.
  • I've used 67 minutes this month, largely trying to get in touch with the woman who has my account at the recruiting agency.
  • I also never use voice. I would totally get the deaf plan (no voice, only text and data) if they would let me, but they require proof from a doctor (which is bullshit).
  • I use Boost mobile (owned by Sprint if I'm not mistaken) and I have the 10 cents a minute plan.
    The plan requires me to put money in every 90 days or if the balance goes to zero. I maybe average 5 bucks a month of usage on it at the very most. For my data I use clear 25 bucks a month plan with it I have a portable wifi hot spot deal. It only works with iPod, iPhone and iPad though.