This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

iPhone/other smart phone questions

Comments

• They probably need to since they're firing a bunch of people.
  • My Moto G LTE will arrive either tomorrow or Monday. ^_^
  • Phone died in bike accident. the top back of it is smashed. It actually seems to be working since I still get tweets on my pebble. Screen is totally hosed. Getting iPhone 6 as soon as it comes out anyway. I need something that can hold me over until then.

Requirements:

Works with my Verizon account/ SIM card
    Cheap enough that I don't feel bad paying for it for two months.
    Makes calls
    Is a smart phone that Tweets, Google Hangouts, etc.
  • Verizon uses SIM cards? I thought they were CDMA?
  • Yeah I don't think Verizon phones will work. There's a couple smart tracphones out these days but I don't know if they can rightly be called "cheap".
  • FYI - http://fixmyiphonenyc.com/

This place is fucking incredible. If your iPhone breaks, and you're in NYC, go there right away.
  • So they fixed it then?
  • So they fixed it then?

Yes. I walked in. They immediately knew what was wrong and said it would cost $90 plus tax. I sat down and read a magazine, because I didn't have my phone to pass the time. Before I finished the article, they had the phone working perfectly. I paid them with Square and walked out.
  • Reasonable prices and fast service? I don't believe you!

:P
    HMTKSteve said:

Verizon uses SIM cards? I thought they were CDMA?

Verizon 4G LTE smartphones uses SIM cards.
  • 2bfree said:

HMTKSteve said:

Verizon uses SIM cards? I thought they were CDMA?

Verizon 4G LTE smartphones uses SIM cards.
    TIL
  • I am thinking of selling my Nexus 4. I just let my prepaid plan run out and I have a blackberry from work.
  • The plan is to run out the AT&T contract on my iPhone 5, unlock it, and switch to T-Mobile. I think I will stick with the 5 another year—I like the size, it's still got great battery life, and I'm not anywhere near its storage capacity. I'm not sold on the rumored iPhone 6's not-so-wee and huge sizes.
  • I'm moving to the iPhone 6 as soon as it hits. I, too, am skeptical of the size but having had some screen time with other phones of the rumored size or larger, I'm convinced I can adapt to it.

This also has the advantage of letting me turn this iPhone with it's rapidly dwindling battery capacity into a iPod/gift for my friends son.
  • Anybody using a call blocker app for their Android phone? What do you all use recommend?
  • Mr. Number
  • Anybody using a call blocker app for their Android phone? What do you all use recommend?

The default one doesn't work?
  • What default one? The only thing I could find is an option to send a number straight to voice mail.
  • I'm assuming you're using a Samsung Galaxy? Here's how to do it.
  • I've got a Nexus 4 and there doesn't seem to be option like that in the phone settings.
  • I've got a Nexus 4 and there doesn't seem to be option like that in the phone settings.

Ah, yeah there won't be. What you need to do is unlock your boot loader and install CM11. :P
  • I don't remember what GeekNights episode it was recently, with the stories of broken screens and cracks after the slightest taps, but that's just how Gorilla Glass works. It's incredibly strong but it does get weakened after every drop. If you bump it enough in all the right places, it'll be right on the edge one day, and crack/shatter from a seemingly harmless tap.
  • When my Nexus 4 first arrived, the back cracked the day after I got it when I set it gently on the living room table.
  • Hot damn. I only had the Nexus 4 for a few months, so I must have gotten lucky. So many reports of cracked backs.

I switched to Android in a rush when I got in on the first round of Glass, but then the Nexus 5 came out <6 months later, so it made sense to sell the 4 and buy the 5.
  • Has anyone else noticed weird keyboard problems with the Nexus 4 running Android 4.4.4?

I don't use my Nexus 4 as a phone anymore but when I browse the web on it I find the keyboard just downright fails to work properly. I will get the haptic feedback of pressing a key but no key will register in the text box I am typing into. Other times I will be hitting the backspace key and it will start adding words that I have already typed.

I have done the factory reset twice recently and I still have this problem.
  • I haven't had any issues but I don't use the default keyboard I use swiftkey.
  • I've noticed some keyboard oddities, but not like you're describing.
  • The Moto X Developer Edition is on special for $325 since they're rolling on a new model soon. I placed at order for one.