This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

iPhone/other smart phone questions

Comments

• It's still not as bendy as the internet has been lead to believe.
  • Blasphemy! You're no true Android boy! =P
  • It's still not as bendy as the internet has been lead to believe.

True, but given the Internet's gift for exaggeration, nor is a slinky.
  • My take on this whole situation is that it is absolutely more bendy than all of the competitors' phones. However, they are all (Apple included) well above the level where you'd actually worry about bending from everyday use. Apple just chose to toe the line a bit, and probably got some other tradeoff benefits in areas such as cost, weight, etc.
  • The iPhones are getting thinner every time, right? What will they do with the 7?
  • As it stands, I have difficulty picking up an uncased 6. 7 should add bulk, IMO. I've been saying phones have been getting too thin for years.

#JohnCDvorackIsGod
  • The bending, when not done intentionally, seems to come from:

1. Having the non-plus version
    2. Wearing fashionable jeans
    3. Sitting
    4. Using your pockets

The moral of this is that phones are too big.
  • But the bigger 6 is stronger...
  • Or don't care about wearing fashionable clothes and wear looser ones that don't cling to you.
  • Can they be bent like a taco shell? Can they be filled with taco meat? And cheese and salsa? I'm hungry.
  • 64 bit phones are a white elephant right now?
  • Daikun said:

Nexus 6 will only be 32-bit.

Your thoughts on this?

Unimportant, it's only one device.

Other handsets are being shipped as 64 bit, more likely Motorola was the issue as HTC's Nexus 9 is 64 bit.
  • Welp, it's a done deal.

After months of trying to negotiate through paperwork and government cooperation, Motorola Mobility has officially joined Lenovo.
  • I decided not to upgrade my phone due to running low on money. I was going to save it for a new laptop next spring. But I just got a letter saying I'm getting a few thousand euro back from the tax office. And I got paid for an old gig. And I don't have to pay for my parents' new bathroom, so there's a big chunk of money that should be coming back too.

More importantly, today I dropped my phone at the find of a run in the park. It hit the path at a funny angle, and now the front glass is cracked. Not across the screen, thankfully, just at the top left corner.

So my iPhone 4S had a good run, just under three years, but it looks like it's time to upgrade. The only thing I'm worried about when it comes to the iPhone 6 is pocket size. I guess a new belt or strap to hold it while running won't be much of an added expense compared to the phone itself.
  • The iphone 6 I am using to write this message is indeed too big. Otherwise, it is perfect. I really hope they make iphone nano in 2016.
  • edited November 2014
    I was going to say "just sell your old phone to help pay for the new one!" and then I read the part about shattering the 4S. Oh well. Sorry to hear about the unexpected purchase, but hopefully you enjoy your new hotness!

At this current rate of phone size increases, we've gotta see a market correction at some point where someone makes a great small phone and fills the now-gaping void.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • I just read a thing that says 45% of new iPhones T-Mobile sold are the 6 Plus. They expected it to be about 20%. I think it's crazy that people want the phablet thing, but hey, big screens are nice.

I'll give my 4S to the mother in law. She's still rocking my old 3Gs from when I upgraded to this one!
  • When I was waiting in line for a 6 on launch day they said they had sold out of 6 Pluses almost immediately and they got equal amounts of them.
  • For a lot of folks their phone is their only computing device. So a bigger screen is a great benefit to them.
  • For a lot of folks their phone is their only computing device. So a bigger screen is a great benefit to them.

That's sad and depressing. Not having an actual computer removes most of the real reasons to have on. It becomes a limited communicator coupled with a media consumption device and a mediocre camera.

• Rym said:

For a lot of folks their phone is their only computing device. So a bigger screen is a great benefit to them.

That's sad and depressing. Not having an actual computer removes most of the real reasons to have on. It becomes a limited communicator coupled with a media consumption device and a mediocre camera.

Most of the world doesn't have access to computing of any sort. THAT is the really depressing bit. I'm in favor of getting those kinds of things in front of more people. While I and the rest of the ivory tower dwelling avant garde here don't need those sorts of things, think of the poor souls that have none of it.
  • I just read a thing that says 45% of new iPhones T-Mobile sold are the 6 Plus. They expected it to be about 20%. I think it's crazy that people want the phablet thing, but hey, big screens are nice.

I'll give my 4S to the mother in law. She's still rocking my old 3Gs from when I upgraded to this one!

Considering they charge full retail it is very surprising.
  • I have a Nexus 4. OTA update ready to download. Should I Lollipop or just let it be for now?
  • Lollipop is taking some getting used to. So many things work differently. No quick tabswitching in chrome.
  • Does it suck your battery like KitKat?
  • Daikun said:

Does it suck your battery like KitKat?

I have not tested it yet.
  • Daikun said:

Does it suck your battery like KitKat?

Kit kat gave me better, not worse, battery performance on the Nexus 4. So far, Lollipop is better still. battery lasts 1.25 days of light use.
    Starfox said:

I have a Nexus 4. OTA update ready to download. Should I Lollipop or just let it be for now?

Install it. It's awesome. Worked perfectly. Upgrade can take hours though,

• edited November 2014
    Well, considering my provider only just pushed kitkat before PAX, I should have Lollipop some time around 2017.
    Post edited by Churba on