This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

iPhone/other smart phone questions

Comments

• Rym said:

Kit kat gave me better, not worse, battery performance on the Nexus 4. So far, Lollipop is better still. battery lasts 1.25 days of light use.

Hmmm... It might be an issue for select Android devices. Ever since I upgraded from Jellybean to KitKat on my S4, it's been draining my battery juice (although it's still fine on light use).
  • Churba said:

Well, considering my provider only just pushed kitkat before PAX, I should have Lollipop some time around 2017.

Just in time for the holidays.
  • Rym said:

Daikun said:

Does it suck your battery like KitKat?

Kit kat gave me better, not worse, battery performance on the Nexus 4. So far, Lollipop is better still. battery lasts 1.25 days of light use.
    Starfox said:

I have a Nexus 4. OTA update ready to download. Should I Lollipop or just let it be for now?

Install it. It's awesome. Worked perfectly. Upgrade can take hours though,

Hours? iOS updates take minutes.
  • MATATAT said:

Churba said:

Well, considering my provider only just pushed kitkat before PAX, I should have Lollipop some time around 2017.

Seriously, fuck Vodaphone so fucking much. The only reason I'm still with them is because my plan is reasonably cheap, I get a free(as in, proper free, not contracted or rolled into the price), unlocked phone with it, and nobody else has offered a better deal yet. If the did, I'd jump ship in a hot second.

• Apreche said:

Android updates take minutes usually too. This is a complete new image at 500ish MB. Huge changes and major update. Also, the raw CPU power on my Nexus 4 is pretty low. Doesn't affect actual use at all, but computationally intensive things would be slow.

• Rym said:

Apreche said:

Android updates take minutes usually too. This is a complete new image at 500ish MB. Huge changes and major update. Also, the raw CPU power on my Nexus 4 is pretty low. Doesn't affect actual use at all, but computationally intensive things would be slow.

iOS 8 was also a multi-gigabyte new image. It installs in mere minutes other than the time it takes to download.
  • I think my upgrade took about 30 minutes tops. I have my phone encrypted and the app updating took the most time. N4 BTW.
  • Yeah, my phone only took 20 minutes tops, but it have nothing on it right now.
  • Churba said:

There are images available for download and self-install, if you're willing and capable.
  • The long install may be the re-encryption process for the entire memory as it is on by default in Lollipop.
    I haven't got it yet so I'm not totally sure if that's the reason.

Past upgrades have been mere minutes on phones.
    Churba said:

MATATAT said:

Churba said:

Seriously, fuck Vodaphone so fucking much. The only reason I'm still with them is because my plan is reasonably cheap, I get a free(as in, proper free, not contracted or rolled into the price), unlocked phone with it, and nobody else has offered a better deal yet. If the did, I'd jump ship in a hot second.

Just check to see if there is a mobile plan with your ISP, it will likely be cheaper to get a plan through them and they will use either the Optus or Telstra coverage in your area. This will also allow you to buy your phone at less than retail price and also get updates as soon as the manufacturer releases them.
  • My ISP is Telstra, they're the only company I can get any respectable speeds from at my place, so sadly, no dice.
  • Starfox said:

There are images available for download and self-install, if you're willing and capable.

Willing and capable, yes. Likely to find one that doesn't screw up my phone, not so much - when you have a phone that isn't as popular in the US, like the S4 International edition(GT-i9506) then it becomes orders of magnitude harder to find one that will work, let alone one that works without fucking up. Hell, I've got the right one for Vodaphone AU and this model of phone right now that I re-installed once the proper kitkat update came out, and it still doesn't quite work right.
  • http://in.mobile.reuters.com/article/idINKBN0KN0KI20150114?irpc=932

According to the article Apple is saying the patents are not essential to LTE standards... So wouldn't that work against them when it comes to royalties and licensing?
  • HMTKSteve said:

According to the article Apple is saying the patents are not essential to LTE standards... So wouldn't that work against them when it comes to royalties and licensing?

Makes me wonder if there was a typo in the article or something...
  • edited January 2015
    I checked several articles and they all had the same Apple quote. Could have been a bad first source.

More recent reporting is now saying that Apple no longer uses the patented tech and since it is not standards essential they should not have to pay for things they do not use.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Thank god both my Android devices updated to 4.4.x a while ago.
  • Project Ara is finally launching this year. It'll start out as a trial test in Puerto Rico.

I can't wait for it to expand.
  • Google cares not for people who don't use the latest version of whatever they have released. They refuse to get trapped in the backwards compatibility trap that microsoft fell into.
  • Google cares not for people who don't use the latest version of whatever they have released. They refuse to get trapped in the backwards compatibility trap that microsoft fell into.
    Ah yes, except for the fact you can buy brand new Android phones right now that ship with 4.3 and don't have upgrades available. In addition, many phones that are still relativey young are stuck permanently on 4.3 because the carriers/hardware manufacturers refuse to release updates to them (unless you root them, but how many non-techies do that?).

That said, I don't blame Google completely for this as the fault lies mostly with the carriers and hardware manufacturers.
  • The people selling phones with 4.3 are bad people. That's like selling a new computer with Windows 2003.
  • The speaker on my iPhone is only working intermittently. Boo.
  • Just made the move to Nexus 6. My gawd this thing is huge!

Anyone in the market for a used Nexus 4?
  • HMTKSteve said:

Just made the move to Nexus 6. My gawd this thing is huge!

Anyone in the market for a used Nexus 4?

Maybe
  • Sorry, been claimed locally.
  • HMTKSteve said:

Just made the move to Nexus 6. My gawd this thing is huge!

How do you like the hugeness? I think the N6 paired with an Android wearable like a Moto 360 would be pretty awesome.
  • After 12 hours it doesn't feel so huge. Understand that I use my phone more as a tablet than a phone.

The sound is 10x better than my Nexus 4. This beast has two front facing speakers that can crank out some noise. There is a lot of background noise at my work desk and the Nexus 4 was always hard to hear, this thing can be heard clearly 15' away over the background noise.

The buttons on the side are low and about the same distance from the bottom as they were on the N4 so that helps make the larger size manageable.

I picked up a leather folio case for it and it has a sensor that knows when the cover is open or closed so I don't need to press a button to wake it. Unless I am in total darkness, then the sensor can't tell if the cover is open or not.

LTE is 10x better than the 4 as well. I use T-Mobile and some places where my N4 was lucky to get a data signal the N6 pulls down 10M. At my main work desk I pull down 50M compared to 5M on my N4.

The screen is not as good as the Note 4 but it is not a bad screen by any means.

I went with the 32GB model only because the 64GB is sold out everywhere. Not surprising as their is only a $50 price difference.

Bluetooth is improved over the N4. I had to screw around with options on the N4 to get the car sync to work properly. The N6 synced quickly with no fiddling and everything worked perfectly.

$650 is a lot of money for a phone and I am disappointed that they raised the price point so high but the build is good and comparable phones are in the same price range with the notable difference being that the N6 doesn't have any of that extra crap other manufacturers add to their phones.
  • Sprint are ETF dicks. The fee bottoms out at $100 for the last few months of your contract. Most of the schedule has the fee drop $20 per month but the last five months never go lower than $100.