This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

iPhone/other smart phone questions

Comments

• RymRym
    edited July 2015
    The iPhone 6 is too big.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/07/01/fallout-4-pipboy-edition-iphone-6-plus-woes/

Congrats on having an iPhone Scott.

It isn't that much more expensive than any good new Android phone, and it is pretty-much objectively better in almost every possible way. I say that as an Android user.

Post edited by Rym on
  • Rym said:

Congrats on having an iPhone Scott.

It isn't that much more expensive than any good new Android phone, and it is pretty-much objectively better in almost every possible way. I say that as an Android user.
    Didn't say it wasn't a good choice. I wouldn't say it's on par price wise, buying the latest iPhone without a contract is rough. A iPhone 6 Plus is still $750. Also Apple only offers a 16GB and then a 64GB model, no in between so most people would opt for the $850 64GB model. I got my N6 for $500.
  • So, you buy an iPhone from Verizon or whatever subsidized. Then you switch to T-Mobile and use their "we'll buy you out of your contract" promotion.

But a Z3c? New and not from some grey market reseller? $629 give or take. A hundred bucks amortized over two years of using a phone? That's a few dollars a month.

• Rym said:

So, you buy an iPhone from Verizon or whatever subsidized. Then you switch to T-Mobile and use their "we'll buy you out of your contract" promotion.

But a Z3c? New and not from some grey market reseller? $629 give or take. A hundred bucks amortized over two years of using a phone? That's a few dollars a month.

Then you might as well get an iPhone, but even those aren't small anymore.
  • Hence replacing the battery on my iPhone 5. The 6s rumors aren't particularly mentioning a return to the smaller size, so I might be holding out for the 7.
  • I'm kinda thinking of switching from Verizon to Sprint. Their deal is basically the same as T-Mobile and Sprint seems to be way better than T-Mobile, and also I believe my girlfriend has it and she gets better coverage than me sometimes.
  • Sprint historically is pretty terrible. I'd go Verizon long before I'd go with Sprint.
  • I love my iPhone 6 and its big screen... but really it's too big. The longer battery life and otter features are worth it though.
  • edited July 2015
    Rym said:

Sprint historically is pretty terrible. I'd go Verizon long before I'd go with Sprint.

It's getting a bit crowded on our family plan with Verizon, so I was thinking of either separating out or going to another carrier. I never really need to deal with being outside of a major city so I'm not sure how much it matters about getting total US coverage. The thing about Verizon is the brief look I've seen of their solo plans as compared to family plans is they fuck you over and sorta want you to congregate.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Apreche said:

I pressed the update button. It updated. My carrier has no control over the apps on my phone.

Me too stop using shitty mobile service providers. Jokes you can't you live in America where stagnation is more important than competition.
  • So far I am really liking my giant phone, but one handed use it pretty much impossible.
  • After some investigation, I concluded that my iPhone 5 battery is healthy. Now I'm looking into an external battery for travel and con usage.

Which one do I want? I was told Anker is the company to look for but is there a model you recommend?
  • okeefe said:

After some investigation, I concluded that my iPhone 5 battery is healthy. Now I'm looking into an external battery for travel and con usage.

Which one do I want? I was told Anker is the company to look for but is there a model you recommend?

There are so many choices right now. They are all really great. It depends on how much power you want. The most powerful you can get is this one.

http://amzn.to/1Clwvij

That can recharge your phone like, a zillion times.

If you want the most power per dollar, you can get this guy.

http://amzn.to/1gm4ddO

And these three are nothing to sneeze at.

http://amzn.to/1NLKWNs
    http://amzn.to/1JS7ueN
    https://store.boingboing.net/sales/introcircuit-15000mah-power-castle-external-battery

Really I don't think it matters much which one you choose. I'm still using the Energi, which has less power than many of these, but it can still keep my phone fully charged for longer than I would ever need.
  • The best battery pack for daily use.

I have the big two-port version of the Anker, which I keep in my work backpack. Love it.
  • Matt said:

The best battery pack for daily use.

I have the big two-port version of the Anker, which I keep in my work backpack. Love it.

Yeah, for daily use you don't need a big one. But for daily use most people don't need a battery pack at all since you will have access to charging by normal means. You only need the battery when there is a convention or some other special occasion where you are away from power for a very long time. At a convention I need a battery that can keep me going from 8-9AM to 2AM.

The bigger ones are also great if you have more than one thing to charge. When it's a special occasion, you usually do have at least one other thing to charge besides just your phone.
  • Yeah, this won't be for daily use. Looking at this 10Ah Anker model. So for charging, do you use an AC-to-USB charger you already have or did you buy one separately? It looks like I can use my iPad's charger to charge it quickly (or a computer or my iPhone charger slowly).
  • okeefe said:

Yeah, this won't be for daily use. Looking at this 10Ah Anker model. So for charging, do you use an AC-to-USB charger you already have or did you buy one separately? It looks like I can use my iPad's charger to charge it quickly (or a computer or my iPhone charger slowly).

I'm pretty sure all these batteries come with the necessary cables to charge them via AC. If they don't, don't get that one.
  • Most just charge via USB. They assume you have a USB power source somewhere to charge it.

I have, like, 20 of them.
  • Ordered! Went with this one.
  • Just FYI, so far the battery on my Nexus 6 has been amazing. Sometimes a bigger battery is just the best solution. :P
  • Wife got an LG G4 and it is OH MY GOD HUGE. It does have a user-replaceable battery and a microSD card slot which are both really cool features. If you order it within the launch window (rest of the month I think), you get a second battery and a battery charging cradle, as well as a $30 leather back upgrade.

Interesting to see that with such a gigantic phone, they've decided buttons on the side are no longer practical. There are three buttons on the back of the phone, just below the camera.
  • Matt said:

Wife got an LG G4 and it is OH MY GOD HUGE. It does have a user-replaceable battery and a microSD card slot which are both really cool features. If you order it within the launch window (rest of the month I think), you get a second battery and a battery charging cradle, as well as a $30 leather back upgrade.

Interesting to see that with such a gigantic phone, they've decided buttons on the side are no longer practical. There are three buttons on the back of the phone, just below the camera.

Yeah lol just got this phone for my Mum.
    I knew it would be fine because she just keeps her phone in a purse.
    The buttons below the camera have been an LG thing since 2013.
    Being able to have an extra 2 terabytes on a portable device is pretty crazy.
  • Since I took my ma and sister out while shopping for phones, they picked up new phones into the bargain - to sum up the experience of any tech shopping with that, let's say Dante wrote it better, though made it look a little too much like a holiday brochure - both iPhones. My sister was happy because she can help mum with her tech issues, I was happy because I can palm of family tech support to her on that front.

I'd rather have taken one or the other, really. My ma is a bit clueless, in that older-people-fumbling-with-new-tech kind of way, but she's willing to learn. My sister, the perfect example of "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing", with a dash of show-off thrown in for fun. I can deal with one at a time, but it's difficult to keep them both pointed in the right direction, while teaching one and letting the other think they're in charge.
  • edited July 2015
    So I'm thinking about joining a friend's family t-mobile plan in October -- Unlimited everything, 10GB before throttle, ~$30/month. I'm currently on the prepaid Tmo 30/mo plan, but understand that post-paid gets better coverage and data priority?

Anyway, if I do switch, I'll probably get a new phone, because my iPhone 4 is really starting to feel its age. This is a list of phones Tmo offers, I'd prefer something ~/<$10/mo, unless you think the phone has a long technological half-life or have a alternate suggestion for procurement. Seems like a lot of phones are going towards supersize, so if I'm going to get a mini-tablet, I might as well get a big mini-tablet. (Anything bigger than my current iPhone is essentially a mini-tablet for my hands.) Priorities are basic -- battery life, screen brightness range, good interface, good connectivity & speed, other things I don't know I should care about yet. I suppose potential compatibility with Japanese carriers is a plus. I've never used Android phones before, so I am unaware of the various release pros&cons. Either way, I am adept at technology and not brand-loyal. Any recommendations?
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • I can't really help with getting improved band knowledge from that site. I usually buy outright from Hong Kong. The only ones I've used are the LG G4 which has a kick ass camera, replaceable storage and battery (storage up to 2 tb on microSD good for the RAW images the camera takes and also in general being able to replace a battery or having an additional battery which you are currently getting in NA for free).
    The Samsung Galaxy S6 is also excellent (although if size is an issue go with the S6, it also has an excellent camera and takes great video, it is the better point and shoot if you don't like manual camera control or aren't bothered). S6 also if you want fingerprint sensor.

Both of those phones will last at least 3 years as far as Android updates go but I'm not sure with it being an American carrier branded phone, from what I hear there seem to be silly delays for the various carrier branded ones as they are different hardware SKUs.

Smaller sized phones will be coming out later in the year, next Nexus device is rumoured to be down to 5" size along with a few other phones.
  • If you think Apple might be an option, it might be worth waiting until September to see their offerings.
  • okeefe said:

If you think Apple might be an option, it might be worth waiting until September to see their offerings.

There's nothing to see. It's iPHone 6S. 99% the same as iPhone 6. The main problem will be that the contract will only be half over when the vastly superior iPhone 7 comes next year.
  • Apreche said:

okeefe said:

If you think Apple might be an option, it might be worth waiting until September to see their offerings.

There's nothing to see. It's iPHone 6S. 99% the same as iPhone 6. The main problem will be that the contract will only be half over when the vastly superior iPhone 7 comes next year.
    The updated, 4" iPod Touch might suggest a 4" iPhone. We won't know if the iPhone 7 will have a 4" screen for a while.

My iPhone 5 is doing fine, but a new, smaller iPhone 6 would be tempting. In all likelihood, I'll still probably wait for a small 7.
  • edited July 2015
    I've embraced the idea of a large phone -- my point was that all phones are too big, might as well get something bordering on a tablet. I am leaning towards Android since it interfaces more smoothly with the Google pantheon. But cost is a primary reason why I don't want the latest and greatest (I've heard good things about the LG G4, but it's probably outside my budget). It's always easy in the world of technological gadgetry to say "Wait until ____, when ____ is released"; the industry thrives on maintaining anticipatory hype, the fuse of planned obsolescence. I am wondering if there is something a little older/cheaper, but insignificantly inferior.
    Post edited by no fun girl on