This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

iPhone/other smart phone questions

Comments

• Nexus 5. Cheap, totally fine.
  • Rym said:

Nexus 5. Cheap, totally fine.

• I've heard good things about the LG G4, but it's probably outside my budget.

The LG G3 is still a great phone and about half the price.
    -Sent from my LG G3

• As far as a phablet goes, I'm liking my Nexus 6 a lot.
  • Android may have a very serious MMS bug. There isn't much public info yet. Assuming the researcher isn't full of shit, worst case is "receive a malicious MMS message and your phone is rooted." Even best case, it's not good.

Just to be safe, probably disable auto-downloading MMS until we find out more?
  • Is it built in messages only, or is it all MMS capable services?
  • Churba said:

Is it built in messages only, or is it all MMS capable services?

As soon as it is read by an application so if it pops up on your lockscreen it means it has been read. If it is directly received on Hangouts it is read immediately.

If you have an HTC phone a patch was released before this story hit (about 2 days ago, software OS update).

For some reason no one buys HTC phones but they update the fastest 2nd to or on par with Nexus devices and have a better manufacturer software which can be uninstalled. Many of the basic updates in vanilla Android have been present in the Sense skin since Kit Kat.

They have also been ahead of the curve on hardware for the most part, then they fired their design guys and put out the M9 which has major issues competing in the camera space with LG and Samsung.
  • https://oneplus.net/

Any opinions? I've been sent a confirmation email to be on the reservation list (don't know how, I didn't sign up for anything)
  • I think Pete has the original one-plus, he might have some stuff to tell you about it.
  • Churba said:

Is it built in messages only, or is it all MMS capable services?

Textsecure provides at least a little protection: Moxie says.

You should install textsecure anyway. There's no reason not to.
  • Dazzle369 said:

https://oneplus.net/

Any opinions? I've been sent a confirmation email to be on the reservation list (don't know how, I didn't sign up for anything)

One Plus screwed up big time.
    No NFC, can't change the battery (yet can remove the back WTF).
    USB Type C connector but is actually USB 2.0 (again gimmicky WTF).
    No wireless or Quick charge.
    No Band 28 (meaning if you're in Australia and want to use LTE you're fucked).
    Still uses iPhone level 1920x1080 resolution which is also a good point for battery but having used the 2560x1600 on a similar sized screen it looks awesome.
    2 speakers but both are on the bottom (WTF).

Pros are limited -
    Build quality has been bumped.
    Relatively big battery at 3300.
    Super cheap.
    Fingerprint scanner (if you even need it).

Surprised they went the opposite direction, the One Plus One was and is still great my friend uses it and it still performs admirably.
    I would rather the new Moto X Style or Moto G for a budget level phone or go with one of the bigger brand flagships (LG G4, Samsung Galaxy S6). The mini or budget tier versions from LG and Samsung will also be coming out pretty soon at about similar pricing but inheriting the benefits of the flagship phones.
  • So discounted one plus one it is!
  • Moto X Style is very compelling, camera is great, wasn't expecting this on a Motorola phone.
    As pure to Nexus as possible without being branded Nexus (also they were owned by Google for a while so I guess they prefer it that way now, ships with 5.1.1).

Downside, pretty thick in the middle 11mm, some people are fussed about this others aren't.
    5.7" screen which is an additional 1" to the diagonal of m current phone.
    Get a cheaper version in Moto Play with a slower CPU but smaller screen (barely at 5.5" but more in line with Android phones) and 1080p resolution (vs 1440p on the above one).

I assume Lenovo is allowing Motorola to run separately and they aren't cross pollinating stupidity.
  • Sticking with my iPhone 5 for another year! Maybe the 7 will have a 5-sized offering.
  • We have an iPod Touch at work. That shit is SMALL. Apple, are you seriously telling me you can't just take an iPod Touch, add a cellular radio and make it a phone? WANT.
  • Apreche said:

We have an iPod Touch at work. That shit is SMALL. Apple, are you seriously telling me you can't just take an iPod Touch, add a cellular radio and make it a phone? WANT.

They can. It's called the iPhone 3g.
  • Churba said:

Apreche said:

We have an iPod Touch at work. That shit is SMALL. Apple, are you seriously telling me you can't just take an iPod Touch, add a cellular radio and make it a phone? WANT.

They can. It's called the iPhone 3g.
    No, it's not even close. I had an iPhone 3G. It was THICK. Go check out the latest iPod Touch in person. It's insane.

https://www.apple.com/ipod-touch/
  • edited September 2015
    Don't need to, I can tell from the pictures. You're right, that's pretty thin, definitely thinner than a 3g. I don't have an up-to-date iphone to hand(my last iphone was a 4s), how do they compare in terms of thickness? It looks a tiny bit thinner than my S6, but I'll admit, I can't be arsed pulling up specs and getting out the calipers.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Churba said:

Don't need to, I can tell from the pictures. You're right, that's pretty thin, definitely thinner than a 3g. I don't have an up-to-date iphone to hand(my last iphone was a 4s), how do they compare in terms of thickness? It looks a tiny bit thinner than my S6, but I'll admit, I can't be arsed pulling up specs and getting out the calipers.

It's the smallest iDevice that has a full size touch screen that I've ever seen.
  • edited September 2015
    Apreche said:

Churba said:

It's the smallest iDevice that has a full size touch screen that I've ever seen.
    Hm. If I didn't already have a perfectly functional proper ipod - y'know, the kind that's basically a brick with a battery, screen, and about 160 gigs of storage - I'd consider buying one. Then again, that would probably be overspending for what amounts to a brick of music for the car and the very occasional jog, hike, or similar.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Apreche said:

Churba said:

They've been thin for a few gens now. Turns out not having a cell transmitter means the battery can be a lot smaller.
  • It might be getting to the point where a wi-fi only device, paired with a tiny mobile hotspot (they are getting seriously small), could be a viable route.
  • Hmmmph. Looks like the small ones we got at work don't have great battery life. In order to get 20 hours, you've gotta use one that itself is the size of a giant phone. I called it when the iPhone 6+ came out - Cargo pants are coming back!
  • Matt said:

Hmmmph. Looks like the small ones we got at work don't have great battery life. In order to get 20 hours, you've gotta use one that itself is the size of a giant phone. I called it when the iPhone 6+ came out - Cargo pants are coming back!

Just put it in a bag...
  • Once again, I am amazed at inadequate pockets. My phablet fits in my pants pocket where my wallet used to go.

And now that I've got that wallet/case thing, my daily carry is actually more manageable than before.
  • Apreche said:

Matt said:

Hmmmph. Looks like the small ones we got at work don't have great battery life. In order to get 20 hours, you've gotta use one that itself is the size of a giant phone. I called it when the iPhone 6+ came out - Cargo pants are coming back!

Just put it in a bag...
    I'd be looking for something with all-day battery life that fit comfortably in a pocket, or, god help me, clip to a belt. Putting it in a bag? Easier for you with big city livin', but still not practical. I'd only give up the cellular antenna if I could guarantee I'd have the hotspot with me 100% of the time. I have my bag with me on the way to work, and in my office while I work, but I'm not carrying a bag around when I leave my desk, or most of the time when I go out on an evening/weekend.
  • Matt said:

Apreche said:

Matt said:

Just put it in a bag...
    I'd be looking for something with all-day battery life that fit comfortably in a pocket, or, god help me, clip to a belt. Putting it in a bag? Easier for you with big city livin', but still not practical. I'd only give up the cellular antenna if I could guarantee I'd have the hotspot with me 100% of the time. I have my bag with me on the way to work, and in my office while I work, but I'm not carrying a bag around when I leave my desk, or most of the time when I go out on an evening/weekend.
    I don't often go places without a bag. If I do, it's not far and not for long.
  • I enforce PAX without carrying a bag. It's the only time I find cargo pants seriously necessary.

Outside of PAX, I treat them like sweatpants.
  • Why would you ever use cargo pants when you have access to a fanny pack?
  • MATATAT said:

Why would you ever use cargo pants when you have access to a fanny pack?

A solid question, but I don't have a fanny pack.