This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Do you want to write for a website? [Shameless Self Promotion]

edited September 2010 in Everything Else
Didn't see any thread for horrible self promotion on here, but I did listen to a four year old episode of Geeknights episode on the topic, and this seems legit according to the rules laid down there, as I have not made my previous 300-something posts on this forum as some evil pre-meditated plot to make one post that most of you will probably stop reading....... now. (On a side note, I've never listened past early 2010, and actually was quite surprised how similar the show sounded. Judging from how Rym mentions about the old days I was expecting the difference to be jarring)

In any case, I've only mentioned in passing on here that I help run a website. I don't think I've ever dropped a link aside from in my profile (b/c I didn't want to be a self-promotional jerk). In any case, the site is www.TheModernDayPirates.com, and our editor-in-chief/head honcho/founder has put out the call to go forth and recruit more writers to the site, so I wanted to see if anyone here might be interested. Here's the scoop:

The goal of the site was to provide a platform for people who wanted to write, but didn't have the time/resources/motivation to set up a website that would eventually turn into a neglected blog anyhow. This way, people can write something every other week, and other people will be contributing as well, hopefully updating the site as much as 3 times per day to keep it fresh. This will result in an eclectic mix of geeky topics, and hopefully one day become a successful variety site. Right now we update about 10-15 times per week, so we've gotta get some more people on board to hit our 3-per-day objective.

We're not actively seeking writers in any one area. I have plenty of ideas for stuff that would make great content that I don't have time to write about, so if you don't have any strong opinions on a topic but just feel as though writing would be fun, then shoot me a message and I'll throw out some ideas and see if any click with you.

That being said, if you want to take a look at what we're frequently posting on right now, here's a look:
- Board & card game reviews
- Video game news & impressions
- A weekly podcast about books (entitled "Do Nothing But Read")
- A bi-weekly column about new funny & geeky t-shirts on the internet

Those make up just over half the content on the site. Aside from the people that regularly post content in those areas we've got a large list of occasional writers who post about:
- Movies
- Television
- Music
- Technology
- Food
- Toys
- Straight up humor
- "Nerdettes", a section for personal stories from our female writers about what it's like to be both a geek and a female.

If it doesn't fit within one of those categories, then it probably does not fit in the scope of the site. No one category is so full of posts that we're close to putting a cap on it. Posts in the slightly neglected categories are best, but all are welcome. Ideas that can turn into recurring posts with a common theme are the best, but one-shot posts on a topic are cool too.

As far as benefits, there are some but not many. If you think writing is fun, then having an audience will be even more fun. If you have dreams of getting paid to write for a website one day, having experience posting for a small-time site like this is a good stepping stone. We've had our posts featured on TWiT as well as the front page of Lifehacker, and one of the co-hosts of our "Do Nothing But Read" podcast was asked to guest host a podcast for wired.com, and was actually just invited back for a second episode, so you actually can get some small amount of recognition if your stuff is good. If it's not then probably nobody will read it. Aside from recognition we've pulled in our fair share or free board/card/video games, so if you think you'd be good at doing reviews maybe you'll score some free stuff.

Also if you somehow managed to make it to the end of this post, I should let you know we're running a giveaway of some PAX swag (really just some t-shirts, beta keys, and a league of legends skin) to new members of our forums. I'm not trying to steal this forum's thunder by plugging another one, just want to give you a chance at free shit if you're interested. Link for those who want it: MDP forums

Thanks for reading everyone. You may now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

Comments

• I'd be willing to do some stuff for your music section. I have experience in writing for hip sites like this one and this one. Since it is meant to be more "geek-oriented" though, I'm thinking something more along the lines of "how-to" articles, such as a guide to basic home recording or a piece on how to self-release music. Something with a technological and practical spin, rather than simply talking about music.
  • Your food section is for non-foodie pussies. Give me a couple days to think on it.
  • I'd be willing to do some stuff for your music section. I have experience in writing for hip sites likethis oneandthis one. Since it is meant to be more "geek-oriented" though, I'm thinking something more along the lines of "how-to" articles, such as a guide to basic home recording or a piece on how to self-release music. Something with a technological and practical spin, rather than simply talking about music.
    I could help out with that as well, though probably more on the production side; Noise reduction, software basics, making a shitty recording sound less shitty through the use of sequential filters, etc.

I could do something for the technology section too.
  • edited September 2010
    I think you might have me. My first article will probably be "Food: Jacking Hard Cider"

EDIT: Nah, you got me completely. I'll email in soon.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I would absolutely love to give support to this. The Upcoming TV Fall Season gives lots to talk about. And I'd love to comment about music through Rock Band or about food, books. I'll be joining this group.
  • Wow thanks for such a strong response guys, gotta run to work but I will get back to all of you later in the day.
  • Wow thanks for such a strong response guys, gotta run to work but I will get back to all of you later in the day.
    Don't get too excited. They're mostly shit-talkers. They'll write once or twice then forget about it. If you're lucky, one or two will stick with it. Hopefully this post, and the desire not to be a shit-talker, will provide some motivation.
  • Oh don't get me wrong, I understand that. My experience is that about 1/3 of people pan out after the first or second post. Given that I probably just found two people which is more than I was expecting.
  • Yeah, I have my own blog that I'm trying to be more regular on. That and I don't think that the website that you write for would want a lot of Disney related articles.
  • Does the tv have to be show specific? I ask because I have thought about doing something on a season of tv without cable or satellite.
  • - "Nerdettes", a section for personal stories from our female writers about what it's like to be both a geek and a female.
    I'm interested, however my writing skills aren't the best.
  • edited September 2010
    Bah. I just got an email that an application for a long-term commitment that I can't afford to shit-talk about was accepted, which means I can't be a part of your project without shit-talking all the time. I'll bow out gracefully.

The bright side is that I get to run the equivalent of three 50-person RPGs.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I would love to review cars for a side a job.
  • I just found out I got a recording internship, so I'm probably shit-talking too unless I happen to find more free time.
  • - "Nerdettes", a section for personal stories from our female writers about what it's like to be both a geek and a female.
    I'm interested, however my writing skills aren't the best.
    And Stephanie Meyer sold millions of books.

Have at it!
  • I just found out I got a recording internship, so I'm probably shit-talking too unless I happen to find more free time.
    Congrats!
  • Does the tv have to be show specific? I ask because I have thought about doing something on a season of tv without cable or satellite.
    I did a 4-part series on this a year ago and people seemed to really like it. With the speed at which new options for home streaming are appearing, and the age of my original posts on the topic, I'd be willing to run another series on somebody else's story. If you're still interested shoot me an email or whisper and we'll talk more.
  • I definitely am interested and would very much like to write for it if you will let me. I will try to fit this into my current lifestyle to make it a regular thing. Other than the classes I have to take at the community college (there are not many to speak), I've got loads of free time to spare and can easily fit in writing a weekly column for your site.
  • I would love to review cars for a side a job.
    Yeah, I gotta say, that would be Pretty Sweet.
  • edited September 2010
    Don't get too excited. They're mostly shit-talkers. They'll write once or twice then forget about it. If you're lucky, one or two will stick with it. Hopefully this post, and the desire not to be a shit-talker, will provide some motivation.
    I'm not shit talking about Reach, the problem is more that after rent, You(Scott Rubin you, not the general you) could wipe your ass with how much I live on per week, and not even miss it.

Your ass would be a little sore, though. Be sure to moisturise. But I'm very tempted, by the writing offer. Not saying yes or no, just stating that I'm tempted.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • GeoGeo
    edited September 2010
    Wow thanks for such a strong response guys, gotta run to work but I will get back to all of you later in the day.
    And you're one to talk? Don't even talk about shit-talking because both of you are the worst offenders in terms of that. Also, what if some of us had motivation just by the offer alone and not by any response on your part?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • And you're one to talk? Don't even talk about shit-talking because both of you are the worst offenders in terms of that. Also, what if some of us had motivation just by the offer alone and not by any response on your part?
    Rym is the shit talker. What shit do I talk?
  • GeoGeo
    edited September 2010
    And you're one to talk? Don't even talk about shit-talking because both of you are the worst offenders in terms of that. Also, what if some of us had motivation just by the offer alone and not by any response on your part?
    Rym is the shit talker. What shit do I talk?
    None. However, the point is, is that the shit-talking is for Geeknights alone and both of you have equal stakes in it.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • None, but the point is, is that the shit-talking is for Geeknights alone and both of you have equal stakes in it.
    So if Rym says he will do something, and he doesn't do it, then it makes me a shit-talker? GTFO
  • edited September 2010
    None. However, the point is, is that the shit-talking is for Geeknights alone and both of you have equal stakes in it.
    I really think he just wants a shirt, and he's very bitter about it.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • And you're one to talk? Don't even talk about shit-talking because both of you are the worst offenders in terms of that.
    Except that we put out a high quality radio show consistently for years. I consider that a free pass absolving me of previous shit-talks. ;^)

Plus, notice how after a spurt of shit-talks, I haven't make further ones? I learned my lesson, and just have a small queue of items to resolve to clear myself entirely. What new shit-talking do I have? ;^)
    Funnily enough, the ecommerce site exists. If he knew the URL, he could technically buy a shirt. Its golive is pending only legal paperwork.
  • Funnily enough, the ecommerce site exists. If he knew the URL, he could technically buy a shirt. Its golive is pending only legal paperwork.
    Well, you also need merch to sell. If orders come in, how will you fulfill them?
  • GeoGeo
    edited September 2010
    Bitter is too strong a description, I would say extremely irritated, and I am for a few reasons. One: the shirt is badass and I'm sure that swag in the future will have just as high production values. Two: I want more people to listen to the show, and a shirt easily communicates Geeknights to a wider cross-section of the geek community in society.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Well, you also need merch to sell. If orders come in, how will you fulfill them?
    We have like eleven shirts left.
  • shirt easily communicates Geeknights to a wider cross-section of the geek community in society.
    lol whut? How does it do that?

I've worn that shirt several times to various geek conventions and have only been approached by one person about the shirt. The only reason was because the stuff she was selling had a lot of Russian influence on it and she complimented me on the shirt.

If you want more people to listen to the show, whenever you talk to them recommend the damn podcast.